Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Chris007

Indiana Players Now In The Portal

9 minutes ago, Hoosier Roots said:

I don’t know about that. I’m not sure what his shooting percentage was the last handful of games but I doubt it was above single digits. 

He took a lot of bad shots that were out of the offensive rhythm but on top of that he was also just straight up missing layups. Not sure what happened to him towards the end of the season but you could tell he was trying hard to force something that just wasn’t happening. 

From the beginning if February he was 7 for 26 from 3 for about 27%

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I didn't say you couldn't argue that he shot poorly. For sure he shot poorly. 

Poorly would be an understatement. For whatever reason, after the first Penn State game, Bates shot 25.6% from the field and 19% from 3 and averaged3.5 points. That even includes his Michigan State and 2nd Penn State games. In which he scored 17 and 14 in. He put 0's in 9 of those last 10 games. Take out the MSU and PSU game, he shot 16.1%(10-62) from the field and 20.7%(6-29 actually went up by a 1%). He was downright god awful shooting the ball. So yea... I think Leal could have went out and put up the same production, if not better.

Just now, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Poorly would be an understatement. For whatever reason, after the first Penn State game, Bates shot 25.6% from the field and 19% from 3 and averaged3.5 points. That even includes his Michigan State and 2nd Penn State games. In which he scored 17 and 14 in. He put 0's in 9 of those last 10 games. Take out the MSU and PSU game, he shot 16.1%(10-62) from the field and 20.7%(6-29 actually went up by a 1%). He was downright god awful shooting the ball. So yea... I think Leal could have went out and put up the same production, if not better.

A Leals ankle was REALLY bad for awhile, who knows if even he was 100% during the year. Teams very much still had to respect Tamar. Defense was very solid the 2nd half of the season. I didn't really want to see A Leal in instead of Tamar, though. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

A Leals ankle was REALLY bad for awhile, who knows if even he was 100% during the year. Teams very much still had to respect Tamar. Defense was very solid the 2nd half of the season. I didn't really want to see A Leal in instead of Tamar, though. 

Well that's you. He was horrid to end the season. And I don't think it had anything to do with respecting his shooting, they knew he sure as hell wasn't going to drive the ball at any point. Offensively we played 4 on 5 with him on the floor. Kid has loads of potential, but he wasn't reaching anywhere near it at IU.

Bates to Michigan seems to have some legs to it. Maybe they are willing to pay to have his g/f and child move to Ann Arbor but I really doubt they are paying him his asking price. I do know he's been friends with the Howards since his IMG days

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Bates to Michigan seems to have some legs to it. Maybe they are willing to pay to have his g/f and child move to Ann Arbor but I really doubt they are paying him his asking price. I do know he's been friends with the Howards since his IMG days

I wouldn't like seeing him there.

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

There’s also a lot of shots for him to replace with Jett Howard going pro 

On 3/28/2023 at 7:56 PM, Scotty R said:

I would think KSU or Missouri would makes sense for Tamar

One would think! Or if they weren't available U of KC (D1, Summit League) - they would kill for a player of his stature. If that happens I would be much more of a fan.

16 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

4 hours ago, Honkyman said:

The problem with Leal is that he is essentially Galloway without Galloway's athleticism or ability to attack the rim. Plus, Leal has not turned into the 3-point shooter some thought he was. I agree that he is "smart, moves the ball quickly on offense, hustles."  When Galloway improved his perimeter shooting it almost guaranteed Leal would be relegated to the end of the bench.

He needs to go live with Hulls this off season and become that can't miss sharp shooter who gets you back into games with 2-3 consecutive 3s and then comes out.  

2 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

He needs to go live with Hulls this off season and become that can't miss sharp shooter who gets you back into games with 2-3 consecutive 3s and then comes out.  

Pretty sure that's a violation on many levels . But maybe wrong 

45 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

just curious.... Do we know what his asking price is? I mean, I love the kid, he just didn't work out here at IU, but man..... You've got to have some "meat on the bones", something solid to claim you worth to be asking for high dollars. Am I wrong?

3 minutes ago, Artie86 said:

just curious.... Do we know what his asking price is? I mean, I love the kid, he just didn't work out here at IU, but man..... You've got to have some "meat on the bones", something solid to claim you worth to be asking for high dollars. Am I wrong?

I don't know this officially but it was told to me it was over 100K and less than 500K

2 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Sure, but at some point, someone's actual game performance has to matter more than practice. You can argue Tamar didn't belong on the floor at all towards the end of the season. Leal could have missed every shot he threw up too.

Nah, even a blind squirrel can find a nut.  

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Well that's you. He was horrid to end the season. And I don't think it had anything to do with respecting his shooting, they knew he sure as hell wasn't going to drive the ball at any point. Offensively we played 4 on 5 with him on the floor. Kid has loads of potential, but he wasn't reaching anywhere near it at IU.

No we didn't. We played 4 on 4. And if Kopp was in, it was 3 on 3. 

28 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

That'd be a first for Leal. He wasn't a sharpshooter even in HS. Hope so, though. 

Just now, RaceToTheTop said:

Ummmm.....so if Bates and Kopp were in, the other team lost two defenders?  Because if we played three on three offense and TJD and JHS were two of the three, that's a genius idea.

I dont understand your question. Just mentioning teams didn't help off those two that often.  

We didn't play offense 4 on 5 when Bates was on the court, was my point. But... this is all in the context that he wanted Leal in instead of Bates. I had no interest in that.  Maybe if XJ had been healthy?