Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Chris007

Indiana Players Now In The Portal

5 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Anthony Leal surviving another round of transfers? He's got to play at some point. HAS TO. He's not that bad. Smart kid, moves the ball quickly on offense, hustles and can shoot. He's going to play a role eventually.

I like Leal and think he adds to the team, but if we're playing him much we're not winning at this level.

1 minute ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Leal and think he adds to the team, but if we're playing him much we're not winning at this level.

The problem with Leal is that he is essentially Galloway without Galloway's athleticism or ability to attack the rim. Plus, Leal has not turned into the 3-point shooter some thought he was. I agree that he is "smart, moves the ball quickly on offense, hustles."  When Galloway improved his perimeter shooting it almost guaranteed Leal would be relegated to the end of the bench.

29 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Anthony Leal surviving another round of transfers? He's got to play at some point. HAS TO. He's not that bad. Smart kid, moves the ball quickly on offense, hustles and can shoot. He's going to play a role eventually.

He’s really not good at all… He’s a “shooter” who can’t actually shoot at the college level. Through 3 years he’s shooting 32% from 3 and 67% from the line. Low volume, but he hasn’t demonstrated anything warranting mop up minutes. It’s no surprise that as IU has gotten better as a team during his 3 seasons his minutes have dropped. 

But his family lives in Bloomington and he enjoys it there so no reason for him to transfer, and we have no shortage of available scholarships. 

I'd argue we have literally zero clue what kind of shooter he could become because he never plays.

35 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

The problem with Leal is that he is essentially Galloway without Galloway's athleticism or ability to attack the rim. Plus, Leal has not turned into the 3-point shooter some thought he was. I agree that he is "smart, moves the ball quickly on offense, hustles."  When Galloway improved his perimeter shooting it almost guaranteed Leal would be relegated to the end of the bench.

15 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

He’s really not good at all… He’s a “shooter” who can’t actually shoot at the college level. Through 3 years he’s shooting 32% from 3 and 67% from the line. Low volume, but he hasn’t demonstrated anything warranting mop up minutes. It’s no surprise that as IU has gotten better as a team during his 3 seasons his minutes have dropped. 

But his family lives in Bloomington and he enjoys it there so no reason for him to transfer, and we have no shortage of available scholarships. 

Yea I don't believe any narrative that's "he not any good" I can guarantee he'd become a fan favorite on the floor and he could actually play the 3 with how strong he is. He's the AJ Moye strength type. Maybe stronger.

18 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I'd argue we have literally zero clue what kind of shooter he could become because he never plays.

You are correct that the public doesn't know if Leal's perimeter shooting improved from 2021-22 season to the 2022-23 season because of lack of playing time. The coaching staff presumably knows. Leal only took 22 3-point shots in the 2021-22 season (he passed up a number of open looks) and hit 7 of them (31%) which put him 6th on the team percentage-wise and 9th in attempts. I agree Leal should have been given more of an opportunity to play especially given Gunn's terrible 3-point shooting (8%), although he was hurt a couple of times.

23 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Yea I don't believe any narrative that's "he not any good" I can guarantee he'd become a fan favorite on the floor and he could actually play the 3 with how strong he is. He's the AJ Moye strength type. Maybe stronger.

Tim Priller was a fan favorite too but that didn’t mean he should’ve been playing. Leal isn’t on Priller’s level of bad, but in no world do we want Anthony Leal playing the 3 if we want to be a good team. That’s not a knock on Leal. He just isn’t on that level. And that’s fine. As others have said, he’s a great person to have as your 13th man. 

28 minutes ago, jbeaman9 said:

The Michigan interest bothers me... Bates is the kind of player that can go somewhere else and then come back against us and plunge the dagger...