Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Chris007

Indiana Players Now In The Portal

I don't like anything about this new landscape of college basketball. It feels a lot like the NBA free agency without the contracts. I guess I'll just have to take the "don't blame the players, blame the game" point of view. The game is already almost unrecognizable to me but I guess now it is what it is. Live with it or find something else to do.

29 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I think he wanted a big pay raise. TJD, JHS type money and the staff didn’t think he had earned that. Landing spots could be Missouri, Kansas State or Marquette.

Geronimo wants St. John’s, but more like Providence or Seton Hall.

Dude is delusional if he thinks he deserves TJD money for below replacement level production. 

2 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I don't like anything about this new landscape of college basketball. It feels a lot like the NBA free agency without the contracts. I guess I'll just have to take the "don't blame the players, blame the game" point of view. The game is already almost unrecognizable to me but I guess now it is what it is. Live with it or find something else to do.

Just wait....it'll get worse! :)

NIL, Transfer portal and conference expansion mania will make NCAA sports unrecognizable soon. Well on it's way now, IMO.

I still love IUBB....but not looking forward to the evolution of it. 

39 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I think he wanted a big pay raise. TJD, JHS type money and the staff didn’t think he had earned that. Landing spots could be Missouri, Kansas State or Marquette.

Bates couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn!  Let’s face it!

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Seeing those guys go to one of those programs and turn into solid contributors, or even valuable starters, a la Franklin and Hunter might drive me nuts.  

I don’t wish for kids to fail. Quite the opposite, actually. It is just frustrating to have good kids whom you can’t get to perform to the level they’re capable of.  In Bates’ case, he was a Woody recruit so that would be a first for us even though it is happening to everyone. 

3 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Not really breaking any news with Tamar and Jordan -- it's been speculated since the season ended they would leavw (whatever that is).

But the JHS "report" is sorta interesting. 

In Mike Woodsonn we trust. 

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

What's interesting to me is that Nijel Pack left Kansas State to become one of the faces of NIL at Miami, yet K State was still able to bring in so many good transfers.

Shows IU that there is hope for us if we do this transfer portal correctly!

9 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

I’m gonna give Bates a ton of grace. He’s not from Indiana and now has a higher priority and responsibility in his life than both basketball and school. He’s also got the opportunity to provide for his daughter through basketball like he’s never had before. I’d guess the conversation was far less him thinking he should be making TJD money and far more that, if he was going to stay, he had to make more so he could either have his family live closer to help, pay for them to travel more often, etc. He might take less NIL money to go closer to family. I don’t blame him one bit for asking. And I don’t blame the staff one bit for telling him it won’t happen here. 

I don’t ‘blame’ him for asking. Closed mouths don’t get fed and all that. But I’d be lying if I said that a bench player asking for all-American/lottery pick lottery money doesn’t run me the wrong way. 

15 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Not really breaking any news with Tamar and Jordan -- it's been speculated since the season ended they would leavw (whatever that is).

But the JHS "report" is sorta interesting. 

Not exactly sure who these guys are, though. 

It’s a IU student account, take it with a grain of salt on the JHS stuff 

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I don’t ‘blame’ him for asking. Closed mouths don’t get fed and all that. But I’d be lying if I said that a bench player asking for all-American/lottery pick lottery money doesn’t run me the wrong way. 

On the surface, sure. Seems crazy. But I laid out a scenario that would be entirely different than him simply just asking for that level of money. A scenario that wouldn’t at all be out of the realm of possibility for Bates’ situation. He’s got a lot more on his plate that a kid his age should have.