Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Chris007

Indiana Players Now In The Portal

33 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Maybe they can. But will they? The players that IU has targeted so far appear to be more of a lateral move. But assuming they are an upgrade, there is no reason to believe IU will land them all or even any of them. The best players in the Transfer Portal are being targeted by many many programs. The Transfer Portal is an opportunity to upgrade, not a guarantee. We will see what happens.

I don’t agree that they’re a lateral move. I would love for Tamar to stay and continue to develop (players can continue to get better after their sophomore year actually). But either way I think any of these guys were targeting are going to be productive players even if they aren’t stars which s much better than what we got from any of those 3 guys this year. I think it significantly raises the floor of the team if we can get some of these guys were after. As far as the ceiling goes I don’t know but I think the main focus next year should be winning 20+ games and making the tournament again as a kind of stop gap year before 2024 when we hopefully have a really good class coming in and have had some more of the current guys develop. At least that’s how I see it. Consistently making the tournament right now would go a long way towards getting us where we want to be plus once you get in anything can happen just look at what’s happened this year

10 hours ago, sweetpain said:

Geronimo possibly had the worst hands I have ever seen for a bball player. Just could not catch.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

The defense presents Justin Smith.....case dismissed. His TO rate was 126%, unless it was big possession then it was 157%. I believe he was physically incapable of cleanly handling a basketball.  

38 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Maybe they can. But will they? The players that IU has targeted so far appear to be more of a lateral move. But assuming they are an upgrade, there is no reason to believe IU will land them all or even any of them. The best players in the Transfer Portal are being targeted by many many programs. The Transfer Portal is an opportunity to upgrade, not a guarantee. We will see what happens.

We have targeted some big time players if the names we are connected to are true.  I’m talking about starters and guys that are going to get paid to play basketball after college.

Duncomb is already gone.  Bates is a role player at best and Geronimo shouldn’t be sniffing playing time.

We will not get every player we target out of the portal but we will get some of our targets and all are an upgrade over the likes of Bates and Geronimo.

26 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

The defense presents Justin Smith.....case dismissed. His TO rate was 126%, unless it was big possession then it was 157%. I believe he was physically incapable of cleanly handling a basketball.  

Possibly... But Justin Smith also won us some games and we really sucked the year after he left.

Until he transferred then he had some success. System matters and Coaches need to coach to players strengths. He was never a 3 like he needed to be at IU.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Honkyman said:

Bates was a 5-star for a reason. He has potential and has shown that potentials on occasion. College basketball is replete with examples of players that didn't reach their potential until after a couple of years of college--in fact, it is probably more the norm than the exception. I'm not sure why so many people are trashing Bates and Geronimo. Nobody on this board knows if they are staying or leaving.

Lander was a 5 star.  Hollowell and Perea were highly rated.  Ratings aren’t everything and are wrong as much as right.

2 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Every team is basically going to have kids from the transfer portal on their team now.  It’s just the way it’s going to be.   Kansas st fired their coach and ended up building around 2 players that stayed but even one of those was a transfer (Nowell from Arkansas St).    They days of building a program through returning players and high school kids only is going to be the exception.   Even izzo who hates the portal grabbed his best guard from it a couple years ago.   Funny how this year when he mentioned his team didn’t use the portal he left out Walker from Northeastern.   Portal is here to stay and teams better realize that or they will be left behind.   My guess is besides FAU every team left has multiple guys that contribute that are from the portal.   FAU should be a top 15 team next year but I’m guessing that team won’t look the same next year because their guys will be in the portal 

Also MSU had Hauser from Marquette 

22 minutes ago, str8baller said:

He might have been a pre-portal transfer. I don’t fully remember. But the point stands: Izzo didn’t recruit all those guys. 

He  sat out a year.  Original transfer rules 

9 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

He  sat out a year.  Original transfer rules 

His brother sat out a year as well.  But correct me if I am wrong, didn't Joey request a waiver?  And it was denied.

Just now, Rico said:

His brother sat out a year as well.  But correct me if I am wrong, didn't Joey request a waiver?  And it was denied.

Yeah.  I thought his brother was a grad transfer and played right away for Virginia.  Joey definitely got denied and I remember izzo whining about it 

3 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Yeah.  I thought his brother was a grad transfer and played right away for Virginia.  Joey definitely got denied and I remember izzo whining about it 

Looks like Sam had to sit out a year as well