Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coaching Changes Nationally

7 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

Made me think.  Who's the best ND player from the state of IN? I don't believe any of their greats were from Indiana (Carr, Shumate, Dantley, Tripuka).  Maybe Ken Barlowe?

ND all century BB list.

Chris Thomas is the only name I recognize on that list as being from Indiana.  

Seems like the rise in private schools should help them. Maybe not, though. Brey really struggled at the end

I got curious to find Shrews’ old PSU contract to see about an IU clause, but it’s nowhere to be found. As a public school employee, that’s unusual 

By contrast, you can easily find James Franklin’s, or Mike Woodson’s.

That illustrates PSU’s biggest issue vs. ND: just very basically less interest in hoops.

1 hour ago, JSHoosier said:

I was having some fun as well.  Lewis, May and Shrewsberry is an intriguing list.  May has done pretty well at FAU so far.  Lewis at BSU and Shrewberry at ND will be interesting to follow.  Could be some pretty good names when we need another coach.

I think the next few years will be interesting. I thought we had at least 6 years when Woody was hired. After two years I hear the talk about Woody walking away from this to hang with his buddies on the golf course more. We'll see if he makes it to year six. 

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Right now we have Michael Lewis, Dusty May and Micah Schrewsberry on our list of next coaches. I have May slightly ahead because he's on my TV tonight and we were at IU together. 

I went to the same high school as Dusty. He was a little older but he has always been a winner, and a pretty good guy to boot

14 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Went from 14-17(7-13) to 23-14(10-10) in his two seasons. Went to their first NCAAT since 2011(would have been 2020 obviously but that season got cut short of course). And first NCAAT win since 2001.

I think he is a good coach BUT, he did it with Pat Chambers players. I'd prefer to see how he does in years 3-6 with his own guys. 

1 minute ago, wirenuts said:

I went to the same high school as Dusty. He was a little older but he has always been a winner, and a pretty good guy to boot

How did you get in here? There is a strict NO T-Birds allowed around here. Yes, I'm slightly older but we played you guys in high school, I went to Edgewood. 3 of my high school friends lived with him in college and we hung out a lot. A really good dude. 

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

How did you get in here? There is a strict NO T-Birds allowed around here. Yes, I'm slightly older but we played you guys in high school, I went to Edgewood. 3 of my high school friends lived with him in college and we hung out a lot. A really good dude. 

I moved from edgewood to tbird County when I was 12 or 13. I was about 3 years younger than Dusty but he was always really nice to me in the basketball camps or when I was playing ball. I'm really happy for him that he is having so much success as a coach. He is a basketball junkie for sure and always has been

28 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I think the next few years will be interesting. I thought we had at least 6 years when Woody was hired. After two years I hear the talk about Woody walking away from this to hang with his buddies on the golf course more. We'll see if he makes it to year six. 

That seems to be the word behind the scenes to an extent.  That’s not ideal when 2023 was fudged and Portal Kombat is the saving grace hope and all the elite guys are in 2024-2025 classes.  I’m never surprised with anything that happens with IU athletics.  

Woodson legitimately thought this past group could be good enough to be national champs.  I mean, I can see it.  Genuinely curious and nervous to see what things look like post-TJD.  Will Woodson be able to handle a season on the brink?  

Edited by WayneFleekHoosier

Cupps, Newton, Galloway, plus as-yet-unseen top classes in ‘24 and ‘25…I would bet he coaches at least three more years, maybe four. But I could see hanging it up at that point.

Obviously without commitments and due to freer player movement it’s hard to know EXACTLY what that looks like. But if IU really skims the cream from those classes, he’d get a shot at adding a big banner.

On local radio today they had an ND beat writer talking about Schrewsberry. He thougjtnit will take a couple of years for him to turn ND around. Right now they don't nly have 4 players and none who played many minutes. Also only have one recruit at this time. The problem is that it is hard to get transfers into ND and unless the University changes on that it will be hard to find roster the first couple of years.

Lottich out at Valpo. Surprised they had the $$$ for the buyout considering their recent struggles with money. Would love to see Tonagel get a shot, or a Bryce Drew return. Feels like there should always be a Drew coaching at Valpo.

2 hours ago, Scotty R said:

On local radio today they had an ND beat writer talking about Schrewsberry. He thougjtnit will take a couple of years for him to turn ND around. Right now they don't nly have 4 players and none who played many minutes. Also only have one recruit at this time. The problem is that it is hard to get transfers into ND and unless the University changes on that it will be hard to find roster the first couple of years.

That’s another ND aspect not serving them well. They’re very adverse to transfers. That’s a killer in today’s game. 

On 3/22/2023 at 11:16 AM, Chris007 said:

I get what you're saying but Kenya hasn't gotten much from the DMV lately. It's not the same area now that Willard is there, Cooley at Georgetown. 

We're good with Monteverde kids in 24, we need Indiana kids in 25. so that takes us till Woodson is either done or close to it. 

And then…..Brad Stevens!!!…..jk….sigh