Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coaching Changes Nationally

1 minute ago, Hovadipo said:

To(o)’s are hard. Get your guys, Demo. 

He was on Barnes’ staff at UT and was kept by Smart for a while. Has been the lead recruiter since he got there. Can’t argue with his results, but I doubt he’s Mills, who should have gotten a better gig than Wichita St. 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Penn State and Minnesota are really really going to suck next year.

After single plays against both of them this season fingers crossed we should be in for a double play against both next year.

Will never happen in a hundred years at Penn St  because it’s not sexy enough for the fan base, but if I was the AD of some low end power conference school, I would absolutely look at Ron Hunter. That guy does nothing but just go to crappy programs and turn them into solid ones. Plus, if he got a job like that he’d never leave. But, no, they’ll hook up somebody who already has 1 foot out the door.

45 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Well he was successful at PSU.. I don't see how he won't be at ND in a pathetic conference like the ACC.

He did a good job at PSU but it's not as though he was dominant there. 37-31 overall, 17-23 in the B1G, 1-1 in the NCAA tournament. A top finish of 9th in conference. Good numbers for PSU but not exactly awe inspiring.

41 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

He did a good job at PSU but it's not as though he was dominant there. 37-31 overall, 17-23 in the B1G, 1-1 in the NCAA tournament. A top finish of 9th in conference. Good numbers for PSU but not exactly awe inspiring.

Went from 14-17(7-13) to 23-14(10-10) in his two seasons. Went to their first NCAAT since 2011(would have been 2020 obviously but that season got cut short of course). And first NCAAT win since 2001.

2 hours ago, Demo said:

Will never happen in a hundred years at Penn St  because it’s not sexy enough for the fan base, but if I was the AD of some low end power conference school, I would absolutely look at Ron Hunter. That guy does nothing but just go to crappy programs and turn them into solid ones. Plus, if he got a job like that he’d never leave. But, no, they’ll hook up somebody who already has 1 foot out the door.

A lot of the quick take hot boards from reasonably informed people are stuffed with high major retreats, some I think could work (Tim Miles) and some I think would not (a former IU coach from PA). They know more than me but that seems somewhat boring for a place that just succeeded with an in-conference assistant

4 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I think he had a clause in his PSU contract that he could leave for IU and expect the same at ND

What about Purdue?  Wasn’t he on Painters staff?  Not that they are comparable 

9 hours ago, 8bucks said:

What about Purdue?  Wasn’t he on Painters staff?  Not that they are comparable 

Yes he was on staff there but it was never his dream job. But he could I'm not sure. 

16 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I think he had a clause in his PSU contract that he could leave for IU and expect the same at ND

The Infamous IU Clause is back, baby!!!

I’m not doubting you. Just having a little fun. I think every hot coach that ever had a cup of coffee in Indiana was rumored to have a clause for IU by someone on a message board somewhere.   

If true it is nice that some up and coming coaches still desire the Indiana job. If Woody can keep us respectable, I think we could have some options when he decides to retire. 

1 minute ago, str8baller said:

I’m not doubting you. Just having a little fun. I think every hot coach that ever had a cup of coffee in Indiana was rumored to have a clause for IU by someone on a message board somewhere.   

If true it is nice that some up and coming coaches still desire the Indiana job. If Woody can keep us respectable, I think we could have some options when he decides to retire. 

Right now we have Michael Lewis, Dusty May and Micah Schrewsberry on our list of next coaches. I have May slightly ahead because he's on my TV tonight and we were at IU together. 

1 minute ago, str8baller said:

In fairness, he said 'think' which makes it sound like he's not certain.  It'll be interesting to see how Shrewsberry does at ND.

15 hours ago, AKHoosier said:

I had no idea Shrewsberry started his head coaching career at IUSB in 2005. It was the last job before he joined Butler's staff. 

The guy has been at half the institutions in Indiana. Wabash, Depauw, IUSB, Butler, Purdue, and played at Hanover. He grew up in Indy and played at Cathedral.  I’d say he knows Indiana well.  

ND grabs the odd Indiana guy but they also tend to recruit Catholic schools all over and especially on the east coast, iirc. 

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Right now we have Michael Lewis, Dusty May and Micah Schrewsberry on our list of next coaches. I have May slightly ahead because he's on my TV tonight and we were at IU together. 

That’s a solid list. Every good AD needs a list like that. I wonder if the Archie experience will sour people on the up and coming coach route? I hope not, because other than an absolute slam-dunk, no-brainer (which almost never happens), I think that is the way to go. 

1 minute ago, JSHoosier said:

In fairness, he said 'think' which makes it sound like he's not certain.  It'll be interesting to see how Shrewsberry does at ND.

I was just having a little fun. People say all kinds of things on message boards, but Chris007 doesn’t seem like that type.  

Brey had ND rolling for a spell. In his first 17yrs they went to the tourney 12x and the EE 2x. I would not say that is their ceiling, per se, but it’s approaching the ceiling fan. 

9 minutes ago, str8baller said:

The guy has been at half the institutions in Indiana. Wabash, Depauw, IUSB, Butler, Purdue, and played at Hanover. He grew up in Indy and played at Cathedral.  I’d say he knows Indiana well.  

ND grabs the odd Indiana guy but they also tend to recruit Catholic schools all over and especially on the east coast, iirc. 

Yeah I'm not threatened by him at ND at all. ND recruits nationally, as does IU.

There's plenty of talent in-state to go around and IU will always be seen as the best program in the state imo.

16 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Made me think.  Who's the best ND player from the state of IN? I don't believe any of their greats were from Indiana (Carr, Shumate, Dantley, Tripuka).  Maybe Ken Barlowe?

ND all century BB list.

13 minutes ago, str8baller said:

That’s a solid list. Every good AD needs a list like that. I wonder if the Archie experience will sour people on the up and coming coach route? I hope not, because other than an absolute slam-dunk, no-brainer (which almost never happens), I think that is the way to go. 

I was just having a little fun. People say all kinds of things on message boards, but Chris007 doesn’t seem like that type.  

Brey had ND rolling for a spell. In his first 17yrs they went to the tourney 12x and the EE 2x. I would not say that is their ceiling, per se, but it’s approaching the ceiling fan. 

I was having some fun as well.  Lewis, May and Shrewsberry is an intriguing list.  May has done pretty well at FAU so far.  Lewis at BSU and Shrewberry at ND will be interesting to follow.  Could be some pretty good names when we need another coach.