Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coaching Changes Nationally

2 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

Could be a good thing too if you consider another potential coach down the road for IU whenever Woodson is done here.

Kenya Hunter going to Buffalo and leading them to a few tournament appearances could make him an intriguing option ~5 years from now.

I never thought about that but good point. 

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

If Kenya goes, so will all of our DMV, N. Carolina connections. 

Not saying it's the end of the world, but we're working that area a lot. Swung and missed three times there last summer, but I like some of the kids in '24 we're developing relationships with. 

I get Drew Adams for the A-HOPE and Indy Elite connections, but an assistant should be hired for all-around basketball acumen. A-HOPE is a nice piece of the puzzle, but as the head coach for Indiana University, it shouldn't be hard to call anyone at Indy Elite and get them to answer. That AAU program already has a lot of interest in IU. 

I'm not saying Drew isn't an excellent coach. He may be great. If Kenya leaves and Drew is hired, I would like to think it's for far greater benefit than A-HOPE and Indy Elite connections. 

16 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Depending on how that goes I’d love for Indiana to have the means to get him in 5 years.

Dusty May high on my watchlist too if continued success.

I know our behind the scenes guys are thinking of this. My guess is we get 3-5 more years with Woody.

I know many think Michael Lewis is the leader currently. Maybe he is.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I hate to look too far into the future. Too much can happen in 5 years to worry about it. But if you think back to our last 2 coaching searches, some of the big factors discussed were going for a younger, hot name, up and coming coach or going for a coach with previous connections to Indiana (either the state or the program). It's entirely possible, but not given, that when Woody chooses to retire, we'll have several candidates that are both younger, hot name, up and coming coaches who ALSO have a previous connection to Indiana (program or state).

8 minutes ago, ziggyiu said:

Not saying it's the end of the world, but we're working that area a lot. Swung and missed three times there last summer, but I like some of the kids in '24 we're developing relationships with. 

I get Drew Adams for the A-HOPE and Indy Elite connections, but an assistant should be hired for all-around basketball acumen. A-HOPE is a nice piece of the puzzle, but as the head coach for Indiana University, it shouldn't be hard to call anyone at Indy Elite and get them to answer. That AAU program already has a lot of interest in IU. 

I'm not saying Drew isn't an excellent coach. He may be great. If Kenya leaves and Drew is hired, I would like to think it's for far greater benefit than A-HOPE and Indy Elite connections. 

7 years as an assistant at Bradley and before that 4 at New Mexico.  He's got the experience.

11 minutes ago, ziggyiu said:

I get what you're saying but Kenya hasn't gotten much from the DMV lately. It's not the same area now that Willard is there, Cooley at Georgetown. 

We're good with Monteverde kids in 24, we need Indiana kids in 25. so that takes us till Woodson is either done or close to it. 

7 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

7 years as an assistant at Bradley and before that 4 at New Mexico.  He's got the experience.

yeah, I've heard good things.  Plus connections.  It's not like we would be hiring a dad or grandfather.  This is his career and has been.  But recruiting is 1A for the assistants.  I like  Kenya, I think the players probably really like him too.  Tons of experience but the DMV hurt us bad last recruiting cycle and its going to get even tougher now.  Gotta be ahead of the curve.  Plus, good for Kenya if it happens.  I think he probably deserves a shot.  

13 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I get what you're saying but Kenya hasn't gotten much from the DMV lately. It's not the same area now that Willard is there, Cooley at Georgetown. 

We're good with Monteverde kids in 24, we need Indiana kids in 25. so that takes us till Woodson is either done or close to it. 

I don't really remember IU having a strong grasp on the DMV anyway.  We got some from there.

Montverde is a good connection to have, a lot of talent from there.

36 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Are we sure Woodson is done in a few years.  I mean Pitino just got a 6 year deal at 70.   :) 

3 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Are we sure Woodson is done in a few years.  I mean Pitino just got a 6 year deal at 70.   :) 

Not sure but don't think Woody lives it like Pitino does. 

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

Oats lost a shark but I’m sure he will be fine 

Wow, I thought he was the obvious guy at Buffalo. 

1 hour ago, JSHoosier said:

I don't really remember IU having a strong grasp on the DMV anyway.  We got some from there.

Montverde is a good connection to have, a lot of talent from there.

I don’t know who our connection guy is to Monteverde. I know Kenya was the JHS  connection and then he went to MV.  Then Reneau obviously connects to Fino.  Is this the foundation to our ties to MV or is there something deeper?

Edited by WayneFleekHoosier

6 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I don’t know who our connection guy is to Monteverde. I know Kenya was the JHS  connection and then he went to MV.  Then Reneau obviously connects to Fino.  Is this the foundation to our ties to MV or is there something deeper?

If i remember correctly, Boyle went on the visit with Malik and JHS around this time last year and was very impressed. It helps when their HC likes our program. 

10 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

For some reason I thought it was deeper but I've been wrong before.  I know we're after other Montverde players, but they have a lot of talent so not surprising.  It'd be a good connection to have.

No idea if McCollum’s the fit, but 2 things: 1) Don’t pretend to know anything about McCollum besides his absolutely absurd record, but people around here simply rave about him as developer of players. 2) The Buffalo AD was the AD at SEMO in the mid-2010’s, so probably has at least some familiarity with him. 

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

heard Fife is still in Bloomington.  Swell guy, great conversations, got to know him pretty well on a drive home from the airport earlier this year.  

He has been doing local radio in Indy a couple days of the week. Funny it is the show that DD use to have.