Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Style of Play

3 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

It is more that we didn't have a 4 that was a perimeter player

Woody did say he could not coach that way was because of TJD though right?  

On 3/21/2023 at 8:46 PM, MikeRoberts said:

Not putting words in others mouths but I think the point was that he wouldn’t stand out as a “dog” if he played for Miami, Houston or another team like that.

he stands out at IU because there aren’t a lot of “dogs” on the team. Galloway is the closest to that but has limitations

I think he would stand out as a dog because he’s the type of player that gets under opponent’s skin.  Not always a good thing but he was starting to harness it

Brad Davison was an *******.  But he was a dog.

8 hours ago, 8bucks said:

Woody did say he could not coach that way was because of TJD though right?  

Not quite, he said he hadn’t coached a post-dominant offense. I.e. if life serves you TJD you maximize what you can get from it.

I’d assume what he said was also a better, more positive way to say it than alighting his other forwards’ natural ability, athleticism, or lack of development

4 hours ago, lillurk said:

Not quite, he said he hadn’t coached a post-dominant offense. I.e. if life serves you TJD you maximize what you can get from it.

I’d assume what he said was also a better, more positive way to say it than alighting his other forwards’ natural ability, athleticism, or lack of development

It's actually a great characteristic in a coach -- adapt to the personnel you have.  

2 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

It's actually a great characteristic in a coach -- adapt to the personnel you have.  

That is true but if Woody really believed the other approach was better it seems as if we would have more players ready to fill those roles  already on the roster or coming in for next year.  Last year it was not a given that TJD would be back so I would have assumed he would have started to change our structure as early as the 2022-23 season.  I am not trying to trash Woody with these questions but it seems to me we could have already been doing more with this 4 out 1 in set up unless he has not been able to recruit the kids for this.

4 hours ago, 8bucks said:

That is true but if Woody really believed the other approach was better it seems as if we would have more players ready to fill those roles  already on the roster or coming in for next year.  Last year it was not a given that TJD would be back so I would have assumed he would have started to change our structure as early as the 2022-23 season.  I am not trying to trash Woody with these questions but it seems to me we could have already been doing more with this 4 out 1 in set up unless he has not been able to recruit the kids for this.

I think you're overthinking this. According to several reports we were very much in with Dexter Dennis and several other high level transfers in the event that TJD and Race Thompson left last offseason. Both guys stayed, so sticking with the current group made sense. 

So by most reports Woodson had guys ready. Then his two current recruiting classes mirror the style of play with JHS, Banks, Gunn, Reneau, Cupps and Newton. 

Those two classes are one big (Reneau), a combo guard (JHS) an athletic wing(Gunn), a long, athletic forward/wing combo (Banks), a skilled PG (Cupps) and an ultra-athletic guard/wing (Newton). 

7 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

I hope our coaching staff are watching both games tonight . All 4 teams are running great offense and getting great looks. There is very little post up and just standing around. Notice UCONN is playing 1 guard, 3 wings and a big and the lane is open.

Really like UCONN, have them in the final…

1 hour ago, Bowhunter said:

We need Newton to be ahead of schedule. Don’t ever hear much about him. Wonder if it’s because he was injured for most of the season ?

Almost surely, right? He barely played until tournament time.