Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Style of Play

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I think this is an important thread topic.

During the post-game presser last night, Woody gave a 'tell' about the future of IUBB, and I am a big fan of credible 'tells'. When asked about and reflecting on Trayce, Woody went off on a tangent and said that he had to change style of play for Trayce because in all his years of coaching he'd never built a team around post touches by his best player.

So now Trayce is gone. And Woody will be able to build his teams around the style of play that he prefers; three point shooting and spreading the defense out to allow for drivers.,

So get ready, because I suspect that's what is coming, and soon.

We're in a agreement on this. I just responded to a post of yours in another thread with something similar.

Look around at the teams that the B1G is losing to. It's totally possible to build a team that could not only complete within the B1G but also be a legit power nationally (unlike PU this year). Changing style of play would also (hopefully) help with future recruiting. 

Just now, go iu bb said:

We're in a agreement on this. I just responded to a post of yours in another thread with something similar.

Look around at the teams that the B1G is losing to. It's totally possible to build a team that could not only complete within the B1G but also be a legit power nationally (unlike PU this year). Changing style of play would also (hopefully) help with future recruiting. 

So Iowa and Penn State, but with Indiana University recruiting, resources, fanbase, and NIL.

That’s a winner for me.

Go buy some horses that will run and some dogs that will hunt . IU needs to be a nil innovator. Should own the big in nil. Adapt or die those are the choices . No more lil Jimmy flat tops just pure unadulterated studs . Open the checkbook and get it done . All within the nil rules wink wink  

Also I am not sold on the imaginary idea that to play big ten you have to be big and slow to compete. This tournament has been very physical and last night was more evidence of that. Play faster and be physical and I think you can win the big 10

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

That's interesting and convenient. There are plenty of good to great teams with a 5 that can't/won't shoot from outside. Actually, TJD would be amazing in plenty of those offenses getting easy buckets from PnR, handoffs/lobs from dribble drive, etc. It wasn't TJD that stopped us from implementing a modern offense.

^^ Yeah, absolutely no question we need to build with long and athletic forwards / wings, to go with strong guard play.

I'm not sold that Woodson will emphasize outside shooting -- I don't think it should be overlooked that we clearly had good shooting this season but still shot a low number of outside shots by volume, the kickouts were few and far in-between (though TJD got a lot better at kickouts from the double-t) and that was part of the problem.

We need much better rebounding to go along with the transition game. How this all translates to Malik's role and emphasis remains to be seen, but I've got no concerns with him, his footwork and rebounding ability is excellent, I'm sure he'll be much better avoiding fouling as a soph.

CMW said himself when he got the job he wants to play 1 in and 4 out.  I imagine the type of 1 in he has in mind is like the big man from Rutgers.  An athletic big that rebounds and blocks shots whose offense comes on dunks and put backs.  Not a slow plodding big man you throw it into to get buckets.

He has to get his guys.  The roster will be going through a major overhaul with graduating seniors, an early departure to the next level, and transfers out.  His hands have been tied a bit just in terms of personnel but that changes now.

22 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

That's interesting and convenient. There are plenty of good to great teams with a 5 that can't/won't shoot from outside. Actually, TJD would be amazing in plenty of those offenses getting easy buckets from PnR, handoffs/lobs from dribble drive, etc. It wasn't TJD that stopped us from implementing a modern offense.

It did with respect to the fact we didn't have consistent outside threats around him.  If we had two or three guys outside who could shoot and slash, would likely have made a difference.  

5 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

CMW said himself when he got the job he wants to play 1 in and 4 out.  I imagine the type of 1 in he has in mind is like the big man from Rutgers.  An athletic big that rebounds and blocks shots whose offense comes on dunks and put backs.  Not a slow plodding big man you throw it into to get buckets.

He has to get his guys.  The roster will be going through a major overhaul with graduating seniors, an early departure to the next level, and transfers out.  His hands have been tied a bit just in terms of personnel but that changes now.

Yeah.  He had a choice when he arrived.  Blow it up and start from scratch.  But as a new to college coach, that probably would have been a mistake.  By keeping it together he was able to bring some success and show the college world what he is about.  He's no longer a mystery to the league or the incoming players.  Anyone who has serious NBA aspirations would be a fool not to at least consider playing for him.  TJD and JHS are his "finished projects" and both markedly better than when they got here with legit NBA careers ahead of them.  

6 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

It did with respect to the fact we didn't have consistent outside threats around him.  If we had two or three guys outside who could shoot and slash, would likely have made a difference.  

Losing Xavier Johnson this year didn't help either.  I'm not sure what happened with Geronimo, maybe it was health, but he took a major step back from the way he played at the end of last season.  He seemed to always be getting caught out of position and leaving the man he was guarding wide open.  The way he played at the end of last season he would have been a perfect fit last night to try to slow down Miami's athletic wings.

Edited by hoosiersoxfan