Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

How to fix the Big 10 and its constant failure during March Madness

3 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

I think we all agree on this. That is different than the bully ball/bigten officiating part though 

I’m discussing the plodding style, they specifically talked about the big ten being based on inside players banging.

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I’m discussing the plodding style, they specifically talked about the big ten being based on inside players banging.

It’s the banging part that I am disputing and would intersecting to hear their commentary on the banging 

TJD is not a banger by any means, the most guardlike big in the country

14 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Listened to Hoosier Hysterics, I think it was. Anyway they were talking about Jay Wright discussing our offense and other coaches saying Indiana is the easiest scout in the B1G.

We, Indiana, might want to start there.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

"Everyone has a plan 'til they get punched in the mouth."  -Mike Tyson

Each coach and each team may have differing styles and features. Banging may be varied with chippy, sticky, running, methodical , finess, set plays, transition, defensive strategies, matchups etc. Some lean to run and gun. Others go for high basketball IQ. Also it depends on which players are on the floor.

What a team really needs is great recruiting, a great coaching staff, university support, fans, point guards, wings, bigs, great execution, scouting, making shots, etc.

Banging or not, referees'calls or not, young adults need discipline as a team. And they need to help each other.  It may just be that IU needs upper classes that know to play with effort the whole game. Just refuse to lose.

I don't think that the Big Ten is at a disadvantage because of a reliance on bigs and Banging.

IU just needs to put together enough of the above assets to excel. In the last 2 decades that has not happened often enough.  

On 3/19/2023 at 11:34 PM, MikeRoberts said:

The other leagues are every bit as physical as the bigten, the bigten is just slower/lacks athletes 

I’m sick of this lazy argument, there is zero substantive evidence to support this. It’s not like IU lost because they fouled out today nor any other bigten team 

I lean this way too. IU was too soft & passive. When they dialed it up (@ Xavier, x2 Purdoo, etc) they won. Why hasn't IU won big? They aren't good enough. Mich State has been consistently good in the tourney and they are as physical/tough as anyone, but not good enough to win it all. I think style is a minor issue, talent is the big one. 

Get all the fans and start a write up and calling campaign.  I wonder if the fans of other big ten teams are tired of losing like us.  To this day I just  think that because all the big ten teams have high enrollment numbers they don't really care. the money just comes in regardless. 

16 minutes ago, Gahoosierfan said:

I am curious to hear what others think was the reason for the B10's disastrous performance in the NCAA tournament. Was this a one-off or is the B10 slowly becoming irrelevant?

A one-off? No, the conference has underperformed for 3 years in a row now. Plus, no championships in over 20 years.

The reason is that the B1G is perceived (fairly) to have a physical, slow, plodding style of play which a lot of top recruits don't want to play in. So the B1G doesn't have as much talent as some of the other conferences.

It would work wonders if IU could consistently shoot threes and quit being so one-dimensional on offense, that is always trying to push the ball inside instead of running intelligent plays like Creighton, UConn, etc. 

4 hours ago, Gahoosierfan said:

I am curious to hear what others think was the reason for the B10's disastrous performance in the NCAA tournament. Was this a one-off or is the B10 slowly becoming irrelevant?

Lack of overall elite talent with athletic ability 

[/url]

Its like a broken record at this point.

FIX your damn inept officiating. And they wonder why the big 10 continues to fail in march

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big 10 officiating puts FIFA and The IOC to shame in terms of inept and corrupt officials 

and the big 10 wonders why it continues to **** the bed during March madness every year 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not happy about the refs.  But, through 50 years, I can't think of a time that I was happy about the refs.

I say the single most important thing to change is to upgrade the head coaches.

Indiana, for example, needs a have coaches that recruit to a plan.  If the plan is to have positionless players then they need to get ballers that can do that.

If the plan last night was to use fouls to stop Purdue's good offense, then how did that work out?  If the plan was not that, then why the heck did Coach Woody.... uh...(not going to beat a dead horse).

Never mind.

I'm watching an excellent U of Dayton team.  And I'm watching Wright State.

It is enjoyable to watch disciplined, well-coached role players. Especially when they are scouted well and then players are put in situations that play to their strengths.     Hmmm...you know who I am remembering?  Over a long time ago...oh yeah...

Wonder if a good coach at Dayton would be an upgrade for Indiana.  Has anyone ever thought that? /s

Nationalize the reffing system in both football and basketball. Then have random refs at games.   Have the refs go through a specific camp and let the conferences negotiate what needs to be emphasized when reffing. This is just ugly basketball. Tired of this garbage. 

12 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

Nationalize the reffing system in both football and basketball. Then have random refs at games.   Have the refs go through a specific camp and let the conferences negotiate what needs to be emphasized when reffing. This is just ugly basketball. Tired of this garbage. 

Wouldn't be prohibitively expensive at all to implement something like this. Have the crews travel with the teams. Now that the regional component of conferences is no longer a thing, there is zero rationale to not put a national system in place if we're talking about things from a "purity of the game" perspective. The reffing system is very convoluted with different states, unions, collective groups, etc... 

Cut through the noise and politics of it all and just find the best of the best, then fit them into the schedule. Problem is the NCAA has shown they've got no ability/competence/vision to do something like this. 

1 hour ago, Dave from Dayton said:

say the single most important thing to change is to upgrade the head coaches.

This, especially at top schools like Indiana and Michigan, do that you can do….

57 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Recruit better players and cozy up to the powers that be in the NCAA.  I don't think we are the NCAA's favorite conference and some politicking needs to be done.  

B1G’s problem is a talent one. Population shift to the south is part of the problem but unchangeable.  

The key to maintaining that talent is having the top programs be good. We have failed the conference in that regard. Through the 80’s/90’s we averaged about one title per decade. We’ve added almost nothing to the conference since then and we’re the flagship basketball brand.