Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Herotime

Any Chance Purdue and Matt Painter Part Ways?

I’m going with 0%.  

I will say this though that I think a team takes on the attitude of its head coach and Purdue was scared last night.

I tend to agree. However, last night was the most I’ve seen him complain to the refs about missed calls and I can’t really disagree with him. The refs let the little team scrap and they took full advantage of it. But yes, crunch time everyone was scared except Edey and he never really got a chance to touch the ball. Big time coaching fail yesterday and I loved every second on it.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Just now, BGleas said:

Firing Matt Painter would be crazy. 

I don’t disagree, BUT I was just having a convo with my brother and he makes a compelling argument that they will be perpetually mediocre with Painter. Three double-digit seed losses (North Texas, St. Peter’s, Fairleigh Dickinson)

the natives are restless 

11 minutes ago, BGleas said:

They haven't been mediocre though. Losing in the tournament doesn't make them mediocre. Bad losses? Absolutely. 

But, he's won 25+ games in 6 of the last 8 years. During that time he's won outright or shared 3 Big Ten regular season titles and a BTT Title. He's been to 4 Sweet Sixteens and an Elite 8. 

I get it, getting to Final Four's and winning a National Title is the ultimate goal, but fans put way too much on a single elimination tournament. 

Again, the losses the last 3 tournaments have been bad. I'm not debating against that. But you don't fire a coach with his record and consistency. 

I mean, Jay Wright was a coach that couldn't win in March...until he did. There are other examples of coaches that took a long time to get to a Final Four or win a title. 

I hope Purdue and Painter never get there, but the tournament is about 'at-bats' as a high seed, and Matt Painter gives that. Firing him would be a huge mistake. 

Bo Ryan was one of those coaches who couldn't win in March either, until he did.

2 Final 4s and a National Championship appearance made all that talk go away real quick.

All it takes is 1 year to break through.

1 minute ago, AKHoosier said:

Bo Ryan was one of those coaches who couldn't win in March either, until he did.

2 Final 4s and a National Championship appearance made all that talk go away real quick.

All it takes is 1 year to break through.

Exactly. Especially when you're pretty consistent in getting top 5 or so seeds, with the occasional 1-2 seed mixed in. 

Before someone references Crean, he never had that consistency. 

Keep racking up top 4-5 seed apparences and you'll more then likely breakthrough. 

Jay Wright, Bo Ryan, Tony Bennett, Lute Olsen back in the day, etc. 

25 minutes ago, Herotime said:

I don’t disagree, BUT I was just having a convo with my brother and he makes a compelling argument that they will be perpetually mediocre with Painter. Three double-digit seed losses (North Texas, St. Peter’s, Fairleigh Dickinson)

the natives are restless 

That describes Purdue history in a nutshell. They have to realize they wouldn't get a top coachnin the first place but the last couple of years shows you top coaches aren't leaving their current job.

20 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Painters recent teams were not built for tournament success IMO. Way to one dimensional. Those mid 2000 Hummel teams is where probably should have made a FF.

I agree. I still think despite his recent success, that 2009-2010 team was his best team at Purdue. Unfortunately when Hummel tore his ACL all that came crashing down.

They could have won it all IMO.