Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Game Thread: NCAA R32 IUBB vs Miami - 3/19 @ 8:40 on TNT

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Momentum can stop very quickly. Next season looks this a very rough one at this stage. Idk how anyone could argue differently right now. That could change, sure, but the team needs a ton of additions to stay where we’re at now. We’re losing the majority of our starters and the bench was largely nonexistent. 

Will be a completely different team.  No more toss it to the big man.  Will need a much more varied offense.  But I’ll bet we’ll still be middle of Big20 (or whatever it will be next year) plus a tournament birth.   

7 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Remember what happened the last time we had a coach come in, kick everybody out and bring in his own guys? 

We are in a completely different era of college basketball now then we were in 2007-08. We realize that right?

Players are out there everywhere it’s a matter of identifying them by the staff and getting them on campus.   Just got to wait and see who actually is on the roster before anyone can tell if next year is a failure.    So far the staff has improved the team from year to year.   Baby steps not gigantic steps like we hoped but still improvements.   Kansas st was picked 10th in the Big 12 before the year.  After a couple practices with his new team and new players he got in the portal he said if we are 10th then the Big 12 has 10 tourney teams.    

13 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I feel like the same comments were made about the “Crean guys” when Archie was first hired. Trayce was an ‘Archie guy’ and he was the reason for our success this season. Most of the Archie guys were rotting on the bench this year. Nothing forced him to keep them around. 

It's a convenient excuse to blame it on the previous coach. Winning big time college basketball is uber difficult. You have programs that figure it out and do what it takes to consistently be elite. We've taken another step in the right direction but this offseason is incredibly important for the direction of the program. We can continue to move forward or we can find excuses.

3 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

On the plus side, with X’s application under way, we have a (imo) likely returning veteran, talented, athletic  point.

I would agree with this. Hopefully he leads the team throughout the spring, summer, and fall. If they take on his personality I'll be more confident going into next season.

4 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

2/3 guards for Miami who killed us tonight were transfers….

And the PSU guys that killed us (Pickett and Funk) were transfers. It’s possible to get portal guys that can move the needle but far from guaranteed.

32 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Huge difference between the women's and men's program. It shouldn't take 4 years to build a winner with this college basketball landscape. There are several teams with first year head coaches that did well in their leagues and have moved on to the Sweet 16. It's an excuse and hinders the program.

Look at what Kansas State just did.

I was very concerned about the quickness/ability of the Miami guards but thought we might be able to get them in foul trouble, and dominate the paint, with our stronger inside presence/height.

Instead were out rebounded 48-31 (!!!!!!!!!?) and Trace was the one and only IU player that made a free throw. 

I don’t want to start anything, but prepare to see a lot of talk on what Dakich says tomorrow on his show. He’s going to rip them for quitting with time left, and in my opinion, he won’t be wrong. That simply cannot happen and it visibly did in their biggest game of the year. It’s unacceptable. 

All in all, another step in the right direction was taken but it’s still not enough. Yes, X was missing and he would have helped tonight. That said, nearly a whole season was played without him and the team obviously adjusted and could have still made a run.

Miami didn’t outplay Indiana. They outworked and out-hustled them. That’s the toughest pill to swallow from this season. 

Onward and upward. Go Hoosiers. 

4 minutes ago, IUHoosier5 said:

I don’t want to start anything, but prepare to see a lot of talk on what Dakich says tomorrow on his show. He’s going to rip them for quitting with time left, and in my opinion, he won’t be wrong. That simply cannot happen and it visibly did in their biggest game of the year. It’s unacceptable. 

All in all, another step in the right direction was taken but it’s still not enough. Yes, X was missing and he would have helped tonight. That said, nearly a whole season was played without him and the team obviously adjusted and could have still made a run.

Miami didn’t outplay Indiana. They outworked and out-hustled them. That’s the toughest pill to swallow from this season. 

That's been the case with IU all season. It's been a tough pill to swallow when we were having this conversations throughout the season because you could see what would do us in. Add in the conversations about wing quickness and athleticism, rebounding, offense, and a ton of other things.

3 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

I'll say this, going from barely making the tournament to solidly in and making the 2nd round is a step.  We can't afford a step back next year though.  You can't afford a multi year rebuild with a coach the age of Woodso and momentum can stop in a hurry.

Could be this years Illinois or could be Kansas State next year when it is said and done…but as of now, next year is going to be tough 

Who gives a rats behind what that hot take idiot says?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Could be this years Illinois or could be Kansas State next year when it is said and done…but as of now, next year is going to be tough 

Yeah, we need to really crush it with the transfer portal.  It'd be even better if one Cupps or Newton steps in ready, but I don't expect that.

We'll have a lot we need to add.  Athleticism and shooting at the top of the list, need help with perimeter D and another big too.