Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Game Thread: NCAA R32 IUBB vs Miami - 3/19 @ 8:40 on TNT

2 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Think we need a couple things -- a wing who can shoot the ball and another who is a two level scorer.  Obviously will need another big as well.

It’s very perplexing that we have needed both of those things for 7 or so years but……….

3 minutes ago, Bankshot said:

I’m actually quite a bit more ticked about what has happened to the Big Ten conference than I am Indiana’s 2023 season (because I think we’re headed in the right direction).

It just seems to me that Big Ten conference leadership has taken a conference that was well constructed, balanced, respected, and very competitive nationally, and has turned it into slogging, slap and hack, “football on the hardwood”, that brings in Big Ten Network and Big Ten Tournament revenue, but is worse in virtually every other way.

The Big Ten has always valued money and viewership over championships. It's why we have freaking Rutgers in our conference now. 

Just now, Bankshot said:

I’m actually quite a bit more ticked about what has happened to the Big Ten conference than I am Indiana’s 2023 season (because I think we’re headed in the right direction).

It just seems to me that Big Ten conference leadership has taken a conference that was well constructed, balanced, respected, and very competitive nationally, and has turned it into slogging, slap and hack, “football on the hardwood”, that brings in Big Ten Network and Big Ten Tournament revenue, but is worse in virtually every other way.

Sad truth:  Penn State might have been the team best built to compete in March....and they could only manage a 10-10 conference record and had to make a little run to even make the tournament.  That's the double edged sword....build for the tournament and it seems to cost you games in the Big Ten, which in turn hurts your NCAA seeding or ability to get in.  

3 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Well said. Woody needs to get 2-3 starters in the portal. I'd like to see Cupps/Trey off the bench. X and Malik starters. See what Banks and CJ do. 

I’d keep trey in the lineup. He’s your bleed Indiana guy.  Going to be the guy who sets the culture, at least on the court.  Going to have a lot of new faces who will need to learn. 

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

Adding on to this, Teri Moren had 1 NCAA tournament win in her first 4 seasons. It's taken her nearly a decade to get that program to where it is now. People don't like hearing this, but this isn't and was never going to be a quick fix. 

Bingo. Woodson is still dealing with Archie players. I would think woody being an nba guy and taking a loss like this tonight, shows him we need some shooting guards. 

5 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Think we need a couple things -- a wing who can shoot the ball and another who is a two level scorer.  Obviously will need another big as well.

Yep. Should be a fun time next month. I trust Woody to get some guys. NIL I think helps IU. As someone else said...he needs to be selective. I apologize if this isn't the right thing to say but Bates, Geronimo, Leal, and, Duncomb aren't Big Ten players. They're wasted roster spots. I'd rather see IU get 4 legit dudes instead of keeping guys around because they are good people...jury is still out on Banks/Gunn. I'd like them to stick around another year.

Leadership, attitude, culture, hating to lose, and on and on. These are the characteristics we need to recruit.
I'm stoked players can get their stats. It's fantastic players are doing their thing in the NIL world. I'm happy we have likeable players.

We need some dawgs!! XJ is probably the closest we have to a dawg.

We need development! Gallo improved his shot from last season. He was a better player this season. That should be the baseline of what we see going forward. You get that when players hate losing.

We need leaders who aren't afraid of pissing their teammates off and are dragging them into the gym to work until the season starts.

I'm afraid we're still several season away from reaching a standard that's acceptable for the tradition of IU.

Just now, TheWatShot said:

The Big Ten has always valued money and viewership over championships. It's why we have freaking Rutgers in our conference now. 

I do wonder what kind of success UCLA and USC fair in Big Ten play.  They are constructed for non-Big Ten basketball but UCLA is better than anyone the Big Ten has.

1 minute ago, FortWayneHoosier said:

Bingo. Woodson is still dealing with Archie players. I would think woody being an nba guy and taking a loss like this tonight, shows him we need some shooting guards. 

Sure.. but we don't have 10+ years Woodson. We have maybe 5 and honestly... I don't see much out there when it comes to coaching prospects.

1 minute ago, Golfman25 said:

I’d keep trey in the lineup. He’s your bleed Indiana guy.  Going to be the guy who sets the culture, at least on the court.  Going to have a lot of new faces who will need to learn. 

Depends.  If he continues the jump he made with his shot this year, going to be hard to keep him out of the lineup.  But lineup or not, he's going to get his minutes.

2 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

I am okay if he takes another step like he took this year. X, Trey, and Malik are likely starters. Need 3 more guys (shooters, big man, stretch forward?)

13 minutes ago, iubb said:

I wonder when the big 10 HQ will wake the hell up and realize what how much of a joke they have made the conference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The B1G isn’t going to wake up, it’s all I’m about the money for them. Cram as many teams as possible into the tourney, win a few first rounds, maybe 1 team get passes first weekend and collect a pay check. The B1G, with its endless nothing burger in the tourney is still one of the top earning conferences in the end.

2 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Sad truth:  Penn State might have been the team best built to compete in March....and they could only manage a 10-10 conference record and had to make a little run to even make the tournament.  That's the double edged sword....build for the tournament and it seems to cost you games in the Big Ten, which in turn hurts your NCAA seeding or ability to get in.  

How can that be when the Big10 gets trounced the first weekend every year.  Why can’t you just play smart winning basketball regardless of the conference makeup. 

It’s sad to see a promising season end.  A dawg like X would have helped in many ways but it was still a good year.  I’m not in the we are going to suck next year crowd.  I’m more encouraged after this year.  

Listen we need a reset.  We lose a lot to graduation and think we lose 2 to the portal along with JHS going pro (which is the best thing for our program btw).  I’m really interested to see who CMW and his staff goes after in the portal.  We won’t go about it like most teams.  We will do our shopping ‘online’.  What I mean is their is not going to be a lot of chatter but when CMW targets someone I think he listens and I do think players will want to come here. I hope we go after the right ones. The problem right now is getting the type of players to win a BIG10 title is completely different than getting the type of players to go on a deep run in March and hang banner number six.

11 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

A championship quality lineup looks like the IU women’s team; you look at the starting lineup and think “wow, we’ve got a star at every stinking position, and our sixth player would be another team’s best player.”

Basically this right here. The 6th man thing might be overselling it a bit, but not by much. On our last FF team Odle could’ve started for a lot of teams. 

Just now, str8baller said:

Basically this right here. The 6th man thing might be overselling it a bit, but not by much. On our last FF team Odle could’ve started for a lot of teams. 

On our last Final Four team Odle started.

Jeff Newton and AJ Moye we’re usually the  first two off the bench. THAT’s the level we’re talking about.

4 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Depends.  If he continues the jump he made with his shot this year, going to be hard to keep him out of the lineup.  But lineup or not, he's going to get his minutes.

Yeah. I’m just saying when theses young guys and new transfers show up this we need “senior” leadership to say “welcome to IU.  This is what we do around here.”  

9 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Adding on to this, Teri Moren had 1 NCAA tournament win in her first 4 seasons. It's taken her nearly a decade to get that program to where it is now. People don't like hearing this, but this isn't and was never going to be a quick fix. 

Huge difference between the women's and men's program. It shouldn't take 4 years to build a winner with this college basketball landscape. There are several teams with first year head coaches that did well in their leagues and have moved on to the Sweet 16. It's an excuse and hinders the program.