Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Game Thread: NCAA R32 IUBB vs Miami - 3/19 @ 8:40 on TNT

Not the season many projected but could have been a lot worse. We did win a few more conference games in a down Big 1.o, made it back to the semifinal of the Big 1.o tourney, and won a game in the round of 64. Now we can get back to the season we always win, the offseason!!

Happy to see some players have excellent individual seasons TJD will go down as one of the best, if not the best, stat stuffers who has ever laced them up for IU. Happy the players represented the university well and didn't get into any trouble. Thank you to those players for choosing to be Hoosiers.

We have a major overhaul this offseason in order to bring our style into the modern era.

2 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

Buddy of mine made a great point. Said that the mentality of guys who’ve never won anything of significance, doesn’t just flip. They are who they are. Was unfair and unrealistic to expect guys who were accustomed to mediocrity, or worse, to become champions. JHS and Reneau were the only two who were used to winning and they were frosh. It’s really cliche but we need a roster of Woody’s guys. I’m a huge fan of Gabe Cupps. I believe he will take us to the next level as he gains experience and seniority. Time to croot!

Yep. Build around Reneau.  Hopefully he’s bitter about this loss and will work his arse off this summer.  Hopefully Banks and Gunn can make a jump into playing time.  

4 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

It’s a guards game and the difference between their perimeter players and JHS/Gallo/Kopp/Bates from a quickness/athletic standpoint was rather stark. I keep rooting for Bates but in the last two games, when he got more run, he was 0-13. Ouch.

They beat us on points in the paint and rebounding.  

2 minutes ago, iubb said:

I wonder when the big 10 HQ will wake the hell up and realize what how much of a joke they have made the conference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The TV contracts, arenas packed with fans, getting 8+ teams in the tourney each season, having coaches who can only win the conference with this style, and such will not get the Big 1.o office to change anything.

**Big 1.o isn't making money off sold out home arenas**

4 minutes ago, str8baller said:

They beat us on points in the paint and rebounding.  

They did but a lot of those boards and points in the paint were from their perimeter players due to their quickness/athleticism vs our perimeter players. They got to balls quicker and got down the lane with our guys on their hip.  

We need some dudes. It really was a pretty good year but we didn’t have the talent to win a championship, especially without X and with Bates as a 20minute per game guy. 

A championship quality lineup looks like the IU women’s team; you look at the starting lineup and think “wow, we’ve got a star at every stinking position, and our sixth player would be another team’s best player.”

We’re not there yet, but we’ve already got some good pieces for next year and our roster is nowhere near complete.

4 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Ugh. Not ready for the season to be over with. I'm not shocked though. Miami has dudes. IU just had the best player on the court. That was the difference. Props to them. This was a good season. Step in the right directions. If you told me after that miserable Wednesday in January after getting blown out by Penn State that IU would be here I would have said you are crazy.

Trayce-thank you! I'm in my late 20's and you are by far the best IU player I've seen. I can't wait to watch you have a good NBA career. He saved this program coming back when Woody was hired and even last year. Race and Miller..thank you for your leadership in getting this program turned around. 

thoughts on the season...this team just wasn't good enough. Always going to ask what if Xavier Johnson doesn't miss the rest of the season. I really think this was a title contending team with him and Jalen back there. 

Not being ready for the season to end is a pretty good thing.

2016-17:  went to the NIT.  Knew Crean was gone.  Was ready for the end.

2017-18:  long losing streak in the middle of the year.  Wanted the season to end as a mercy kill.

2018-19:  see 2017-18.

2019-20:  actually was very sad to see the season end the way it did.

2020-21:  nothing pleased me more than when the season was finally over.

2021-22:  fought our way in the NCAA tournament with our play in the BTT.  Won a play in game.  Emotionally wasn't ready for it end.

2022-23:  most definitely am sad it ended.

Personally, I'm glad we are back to having it hurt when it ends.

I’m sorry, but I’ve watched a few basketball games in my life and if you are a highly recruited D1 player, you don’t miss too many shots. Bates SMH. 

Watch other teams inthis tournament and they simply do not miss. 

Just now, Stuhoo said:

We need some dudes. It really was a pretty good year but we didn’t have the talent to win a championship, especially without X and with Bates as a 20minute per game guy. 

A championship quality lineup looks like the IU women’s team; you look at the starting lineup and think “wow, we’ve got a star at every stinking position, and our sixth player would be another team’s best player.”

We’re not there yet, but we’ve got some good pieces for next year and our roster is far from complete.

Well said. Woody needs to get 2-3 starters in the portal. I'd like to see Cupps/Trey off the bench. X and Malik starters. See what Banks and CJ do. 

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

We’re not there yet, but we’ve already got some good pieces for next year and our roster is nowhere near complete.

I watch the women's team play and think to myself why can't we have a Berger, Holmes, or someone like Moore-McNeil I mean what do we have to do and bench is good at times could use someone like Scalia to come in and give some good minutes.

2 minutes ago, iubb said:

The Big Ten has had 26 teams make the tournament the last three years and are 4-26 getting to the Sweet 16.

The Big 10 HQ should be proud. They have made the conference a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m actually quite a bit more ticked about what has happened to the Big Ten conference than I am Indiana’s 2023 season (because I think we’re headed in the right direction).

It just seems to me that Big Ten conference leadership has taken a conference that was well constructed, balanced, respected, and very competitive nationally, and has turned it into slogging, slap and hack, “football on the hardwood”, that brings in Big Ten Network and Big Ten Tournament revenue, but is worse in virtually every other way.

Just now, HoosierFan1994 said:

Well said. Woody needs to get 2-3 starters in the portal. I'd like to see Cupps/Trey off the bench. X and Malik starters. See what Banks and CJ do. 

Think we need a couple things -- a wing who can shoot the ball and another who is a two level scorer.  Obviously will need another big as well.

1 minute ago, ebridges24 said:

You have to have good, consistent guard play or you'll go nowhere. Just look at the difference in this game.

This. Not having X was huge in this one. With him Gallo is the third guard and replaces JHS on his very bad night. Without X Bates is the other option.

Tamar Bates was 0-13 shooting over the two tournament games,

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Adding on to this, Teri Moren had 1 NCAA tournament win in her first 4 seasons. It's taken her nearly a decade to get that program to where it is now. People don't like hearing this, but this isn't and was never going to be a quick fix. 

We gave up 20 offensive boards.  That was a problem all year and the staff never addressed it.  The rebounding difference shows one team just wanted it more, and it wasn't IU.  We need consistent effort and intensity, period, and we haven't had it in years.

Not going to do much with zero bench production.  We need Reneau to take a step up next year.  Geronimo is an athlete not a basketball player, he doesn't deserve more minutes until he can make the most of what he gets; sorry, he wouldn't be a loss if he leaves.  Bates with another 0fer, which has seemingly been all too common with him, he hasn't played up to his ranking so far.

The incoming freshmen could be good eventually I think, but I don't see them as instant impact players.  Some names in the portal could be interesting but so far not many I'm convinced would really help, and we need a big time homerun in the portal or next year could be brutal.