Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Non-IU NCAA TOURNAMENT GAMES

Don't like that play by Creighton.  You throw the ball 90 or so feet -- just hoping someone will catch it, then shoot it. 

If you get it to a guy at half-court, he can take a dribble or two, then shoot a 35-footer or so. Not necessarily a high percentage play, but better than just chucking it all the way downcourt and crossing your fingers. 

17 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Oh my, a ref made a call regardless of time on the clock!

And it was a legit, hard to see, outstanding call. 

That ref is gonna look at the replay tonight and be damn proud for making a necessary call with the game on the line.

An IU story; I was home plate for the all-campus intramural softball finals. Men on in the bottom of the fifth for a team that was down one. On a 3-2 pitch I rung a guy up looking. The batter nodded at me and walked away. No one on his team said a word. Small stakes but one of my favorite moments as a ref/umpire.

13 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Oh my, a ref made a call regardless of time on the clock!

And that would be fine, except that hadn't called that (or worse) all game. See foul totals. Guys were getting banged at the basket all game but a gentle touch decided it. 

Daughter lives in San Diego near Balboa Park...used to work in marketing for San Diego State.  She does not follow SDSU sports.  Just said that she was surprised that she did not hear any yelling in her neighborhood when they won.

My wife and I were watching the end of the game and spot checks throughout.  All I saw was missed 3s.  And rebounds.  And players roughing it up...

And that would be fine, except that hadn't called that (or worse) all game. See foul totals. Guys were getting banged at the basket all game but a gentle touch decided it. 

Yeah, I don’t like the call. Body contact was minimal. Perfect hand positioning. I’m not an advocate of letting all things go at end of games but this was super soft. No skin in the game but if we (IU) got jobbed by that call in the exact scenario we’d be justifiably hysterical.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

22 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

And it was a legit, hard to see, outstanding call. 

That ref is gonna look at the replay tonight and be damn proud for making a necessary call with the game on the line.

An IU story; I was home plate for the all-campus intramural softball finals. Men on in the bottom of the fifth for a team that was down one. On a 3-2 pitch I rung a guy up looking. The batter nodded at me and walked away. No one on his team said a word. Small stakes but one of my favorite moments as a ref/umpire.

The problem is they hadn’t called that all game.  This game was physical.  How are players supposed to know what they can get away with?  Players also know they can get away with a little extra at the end of games.  I don’t care who won but don’t like it.

Also breaking out a manual stopwatch and comparing it to the clock at the arena is ridiculous.

13 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

I’ll take your (and Jay Wright’s - he is fired up on postgame) word for it, I napped until the under-8 lol. I did think it was the right call without the context of how the rest of the game was called. 

21 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

You are right, it doesn't. But it should. If it's a foul 2 seconds into the game, it's a foul with 2 seconds left.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

They didn’t call much the whole game.  Horrible call.

8 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

The problem is they hadn’t called that all game.  This game was physical.  How are players supposed to know what they can get away with?  Players also know they can get away with a little extra at the end of games.  I don’t care who won but don’t like it.

Also breaking out a manual stopwatch and comparing it to the clock at the arena is ridiculous.

Physical during the game is different from a push that changes a shooter’s balance 

Physical during the game is different from a push that changes a shooter’s balance 

Meh, it was subtle and soft. Both players moving towards the basket. Not upper body contact. I, with video replay evidence, do not think that should be called.

MY GUESS. I think the official THOUGHT he got him on the arm from his angle during the shot. It looked like it from that angle. Rough call imo. But thems the breaks, I guess.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

19 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I don’t think it changed anything.  The final little nudge came after he released and as Barkley pointed out postgame he had already missed the shot at that point. Pretty soft contact to blow the whistle there in what was a physical game in my opinion.