Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Non-IU NCAA TOURNAMENT GAMES

3 hours ago, hoosierbgh said:

Well, yeah they're a one trick pony where that one trick is highly dependent on B1G style officiating to stay in the game. They also depend on two freshman guards that have no clear advantages over most teams they will play and do not handle pressure well. 

Look I'm no fan of that school to the northwest but they're a 1 seed, beat non conference 2, 3, 5, and 9 seeds during the regular season and won the regular and tournament conference with those two freshman guards. They must be doing something right. I do agree with your officiating comment for sure. It's been an issue for decades. 

9 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

Today we're about to find out if the B1G is contender or pretender. 5 games slotted today. With Maryland kicking it off. Let's hope the conference doesn't poop the bed folks!

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/schedule/_/date/20230316

Here's to not getting any work done for the next two days! 

If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on pretender. They have been the past few years and the non-con didn't inspire confidence, especially losing the ACC/B1G challenge.

12 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on pretender. They have been the past few years and the non-con didn't inspire confidence, especially losing the ACC/B1G challenge.

At some point in time the B1G's script has to change doesn't it?  'Cause I am tired of the old one.  

3 minutes ago, Rico said:

At some point in time the B1G's script has to change doesn't it?  'Cause I am tired of the old one.  

You'd think so but they seem happy just getting the most teams in every year even if they don't really do anything after that.

14 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

Look I'm no fan of that school to the northwest but they're a 1 seed, beat non conference 2, 3, 5, and 9 seeds during the regular season and won the regular and tournament conference with those two freshman guards. They must be doing something right. I do agree with your officiating comment for sure. It's been an issue for decades. 

If I were Purdue, I wouldn't want to play Duke or Marquette again now. I'm not so sure they would want to play Gonzaga now either. Purdue is/was built to compete well in the B1G and were fortunate to catch Marquette, Gonzaga, and especially Duke early in the year. 

Every team has flaws but as 1 seeds go, Purdue has more than most. If the supporting cast doesn't show up, then Edey will need to score 30+ for them to have a chance. That is a big load for him to carry, especially when he's not likely to get quite so friendly a whistle as he did in the B1G. It is also a major concern when the supporting cast is as easy to control as this one is. 

18 minutes ago, hoosierbgh said:

If I were Purdue, I wouldn't want to play Duke or Marquette again now. I'm not so sure they would want to play Gonzaga now either. Purdue is/was built to compete well in the B1G and were fortunate to catch Marquette, Gonzaga, and especially Duke early in the year. 

Every team has flaws but as 1 seeds go, Purdue has more than most. If the supporting cast doesn't show up, then Edey will need to score 30+ for them to have a chance. That is a big load for him to carry, especially when he's not likely to get quite so friendly a whistle as he did in the B1G. It is also a major concern when the supporting cast is as easy to control as this one is. 

Remember when he wasn't going to be able to log that many minutes or his body stand up to that many minutes? Good times. purdoodoo is definitely flawed and could be upset in the second round against Memphis or FAU. They had Jenkins (?) come up big in a few of their Big 1.o tourney games when Smith and Loyer shrank. It'll be interesting to see how they deal with pressure and more athletic guards in the big dance. I could easily see Edey making lots of trips to the FT line during the tourney as teams haven't experienced dealing with that size.

2 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Remember when he wasn't going to be able to log that many minutes or his body stand up to that many minutes? Good times. purdoodoo is definitely flawed and could be upset in the second round against Memphis or FAU. They had Jenkins (?) come up big in a few of their Big 1.o tourney games when Smith and Loyer shrank. It'll be interesting to see how they deal with pressure and more athletic guards in the big dance. I could easily see Edey making lots of trips to the FT line during the tourney as teams haven't experienced dealing with that size.

I wonder what Purdue's record is when Edey attempts 10+ FTs?

10 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

For me, while in all seriousness Purdue is good, they have been winning a lot of 50/50 - last few possessions games. That's admirable, but eventually the odds on one of those games not turning out well for them is high.

11 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Hack-a-Zach? No idea, his % is pretty solid I think.

I get Zach is a good FT shooter.  I was just wondering how Purdue fares in conjunction with his FT attempts.  I looked back at some games and came to the conclusion that it doesn't matter.