Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Game Thread: NCAA R64 vs. Kent State - 3/17 @ 10:45 pm (no lie)ET on TBS

This may be a controversial take to some here, but I don't really see Painter as that great of an X's and O's coach either per se. 

In fact, I find him kind of gimmicky, with the whole 7'+ scheme thing he's had running for the last however many years straight (or almost straight)? I went to IU during the Isaac Haas/AJ Hammons years... we got 1 win vs them in Bloomington. So I'm sorta reveling in this one tonight.

They will always be little bro. 

1 minute ago, TeeterInNJ said:

This may be a controversial take to some here, but I don't really see Painter as that great of an X's and O's coach either per se. 

In fact, I find him kind of gimmicky, with the whole 7'+ scheme thing he's had running for the last however many years straight (or almost straight)? I went to IU during the Isaac Haas/AJ Hammons years... we got 1 win vs them in Bloomington. So I'm sorta reveling in this one tonight.

Painter loves his ogres. 

2 minutes ago, TeeterInNJ said:

Painter would never have lasted this long at IU, Purdue has lower expectations but I would say Painter may be in a little bit of trouble now. That is three years in row they have lost to lower seeded teams...all games they were highly favored to win. Add losing to IU 2 times this season as well!

Just now, Alford Bailey said:

Painter loves his ogres. 

Tonight does show a lot of his flaws as a coach IMO. The FDU game plan was marvelous and really well executed.

Purdue couldn't buy a bucket, the coach can't control that. But they got punched in the mouth and flustered, and adjustments didn't really work. The roster may do well in B10 bully ball, but the last 3 years show it has obvious shortcomings in March.

On talent alone there is no reason for FDU to win this game: 

• They had guys playing D2 ball last year
  • They won 4 games last year
  • They are the shortest team in D1
  • They gave Purdue bulletin board material and PU still folded. Charmin soft. 

FDU got a lot of lucky bounces (almost all of them if we're being honest). There were bad calls/missed calls going both ways. That's just basketball. But the fact FDU's coaching was energizing his crew while Painter was barking at the refs and letting his players hang their heads/shake their heads/whine at the refs, to me, shows Painter let everything get away from him tonight. 

I mean, when a #1 seed loses to a #16 seed, the coach has to be at least somewhat accountable, right?

Man this will be a fun card to play for years :farting_smiley: 

3 minutes ago, TeeterInNJ said:

The roster may do well in B10 bully b

It did just fine in the pre-conf schedule beating multiple tourney teams. They just panicked and went completely away from Edey.   

Just Purdue things.