Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Herotime

JHS— NBA Bound

17 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

That's just a snapshot though. We all know Gallo has been hands down the better all around player all season, and has raised his outside game. Very encouraging to see Bates get his mojo back and play well to close out, I've never been in the camp that lambasted him, and see him as a guy who can be a key player / scorer next season, but Gallo's all around impact is one key to our ability to win, his D is on another level, and he brings a sort of secondary point guard role to the floor along with the ability to slash to the rim. Agree on his importance to driving guards

This brings up a great point. When was the last time we saw him slash to the rim consistently?

16 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

That's just a snapshot though.

It's the most recent "snapshot." If Galloway continues to struggle on offense and Bates continues to shoot with confidence and play solid defense then his playing time should increase.

27 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

It's the most recent "snapshot." If Galloway continues to struggle on offense and Bates continues to shoot with confidence and play solid defense then his playing time should increase.

I mean it's just the most recent games. Gallo has generally been solid all year. I'm all for Bates getting more playing time when he's on, he's another scorer and while some criticize his passing he's made multiple really nice passes in traffic. I like his upside, if he keeps up his recent play, fantastic.

3 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

I mean it's just the most recent games. Gallo has generally been solid all year. I'm all for Bates getting more playing time when he's on, he's another scorer and while some criticize his passing he's made multiple really nice passes in traffic. I like his upside, if he keeps up his recent play, fantastic.

I’m a big fan of Gallo, and really like seeing that he added good 3 point shooting percentage to his arsenal, but a total of 6 points in the last 3 games, from the starting 2 guard, is an issue in the tourney.

Hope he gets his mojo back and/or Bates all the sudden turns into a consistent threat.

37 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

I’m a big fan of Gallo, and really like seeing that he added good 3 point shooting percentage to his arsenal, but a total of 6 points in the last 3 games, from the starting 2 guard, is an issue in the tourney.

Hope he gets his mojo back and/or Bates all the sudden turns into a consistent threat.

Yes, he needs to bring it. For whatever reason we haven’t often had everyone going at once.

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

If JHS really wants his draft stock to rise even more then he will have two good games this weekend. He controls that since everyone will be watching. Sounds like he will be going against a couple of really good defenders with KSU. So win the battle and the games. 

But he can’t force.  His midrange jumper is nice but make them stop TJD before we start taking too many midrange jumpers.

sidenote- And I’ve given up on our defense figuring out how to guard 3 point shooting teams. We are terrible at it, so here’s to hoping teams don’t get hot.  Not JHS related… sorry. 

14 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

sidenote- And I’ve given up on our defense figuring out how to guard 3 point shooting teams. We are terrible at it, so here’s to hoping teams don’t get hot.  Not JHS related… sorry. 

As of late, It was really just the home game vs Iowa and the game at MSU, otherwise we've been pretty good defending the 3. 

In conference games, our 3pt defense was 3rd in the conference.

20 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

I agree. Galloway has had a good year and by far been the better player. The good news is that with Galloway, Kopp and Bates there are plenty of minutes to go around for each. 

For Bates, it's all about defense. When he isn't a negative defensively, and he often is, then he gets the time to settle in offensively. The 2nd half against Michigan at home and in the BTT he was bringing it defensively so he got more time to get into a flow offensively. 

It's pretty simple for him. 

38 minutes ago, BGleas said:

As of late, It was really just the home game vs Iowa and the game at MSU, otherwise we've been pretty good defending the 3. 

Taking only the 3PT% defense into account we do have the 3rd best "3PT defense" in the Big 1.o. Unfortunately, as suspected, it's not as good as that. We're middle of the pack in 3PT/game made against us. Even that wouldn't be too big of a deal (teams shooting more at a lower % isn't that bad) but we like to turn the ball over and give up offensive rebounds which turns in to more possessions by opponents which lead to more 3PTA. On top of turning it over and rebounding, we love to foul the **** out of teams giving up FTs. Thankfully, our FT defense is amongst the best in the conference.

In short, % wise it's good but volume plus giving extra possessions isn't great. Overall, our defense is middle of the pack in the Big 1.o.

It has been an honor and pleasure to watch this fine young man represent IU on and off the court. I saw where he gifted his teammates earbuds for Christmas as an example off the court. We all see his potential on the court, and I had the pleasure to see us in person. He is much bigger in person and protects the ball as good as any point I have seen since I Thomas. He’s NBA bound and will be missed as much as TJD. This has to be our year.

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

For the majority of the games against Maryland and PSU IU was letting them hit well over 40%. The final percentages ended up in the mid 30%s but that doesn't tell the story of how poorly the perimeter defense was for the majority of those two games. Maryland, for example, was 9 of 20 until the last minute or so.

1 hour ago, go iu bb said:

For the majority of the games against Maryland and PSU IU was letting them hit well over 40%

This is not accurate. I attended the Maryland game in College Park and Maryland hit 3s in spurts but not for the majority for the game. The real problem was Maryland's defense causing turnovers by IU and throwing IU's offense out of sync.

18 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

This is not accurate. I attended the Maryland game in College Park and Maryland hit 3s in spurts but not for the majority for the game. The real problem was Maryland's defense causing turnovers by IU and throwing IU's offense out of sync.

It may have come in spurts but Maryland missed 4 3-pointers in the last minute and ended up 9-24 for the game. That means that entering that final minute they were 9-20 which is 45%. So through 39 minutes of the game Maryland was hitting at a rate of 45% and it just went down because they were jacking 3s to try to come back. That doesn't look like solid perimeter D to me.

38 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

13 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

It may have come in spurts but Maryland missed 4 3-pointers in the last minute and ended up 9-24 for the game. That means that entering that final minute they were 9-20 which is 45%. So through 39 minutes of the game Maryland was hitting at a rate of 45% and it just went down because they were jacking 3s to try to come back. That doesn't look like solid perimeter D to me.

I think Honkyman is referring to the first match-up (in College Park) and go iu bb is referencing the second match-up (in Chicago). They were hitting 45% before the final 56 seconds in the Big 1.o tourney game.

20 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

That doesn't look like solid perimeter D to me.

You are referencing the game against Maryland that IU won by 10 points in the Big Ten Tournament. I was referring to the regular season game that IU lost.

5 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

You are referencing the game against Maryland that IU won by 10 points in the Big Ten Tournament. I was referring to the regular season game that IU lost.

I see that now. I was responding to a post talking about recent games which said IU only played poor defense against Iowa and MSU. I was pointing out that in the recent games against Maryland and PSU, they played worst perimeter D than it would appear from just looking at the end of game stats. The key word being "recent." I even gave numbers which could've been used to determine which game I was talking about.

7 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

I see that now. I was responding to a post talking about recent games which said IU only played poor defense against Iowa and MSU. I was pointing out that in the recent games against Maryland and PSU, they played worst perimeter D than it would appear from just looking at the end of game stats. The key word being "recent." I even gave numbers which could've been used to determine which game I was talking about.

PSU *only shot 34.8% from deep against us in the tourney. The problem was combining that with 26 FTA (15 more than us), an additional 5 opportunities (outrebounded us), and us unable to hit the broad side of a barn from 3 it becomes a losing formula. I guess if our FT defense was on par with the rest of the season we could have eked out a win.

If we aren't hitting a decent amount from outside while a team hits a decent % while shooting in volume it's difficult for us to keep pace. That's probably the reason it feels like a team hits a higher % because we rarely answer with hot outside shooting.