Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Herotime

JHS— NBA Bound

On 3/13/2023 at 10:29 AM, HoosierAloha said:

This brings up a great point. When was the last time we saw him slash to the rim consistently?

Not very often. As I’ve pointed out, he’s a pretty average athlete for an NBA 1st round guard. For comparison’s sake Langford got to the rim with ease in college, was a better pure athlete, and can’t play in the NBA. JHS is a better basketball player though.  He reminds me more of Johnny Davis from UW last year.  

I have been about 50/50 on him leaving after this season. But since then his stock has risen a little and I’ve looked at some of the mock drafts. This years draft looks insanely top heavy with very little depth. I’ve seen Jett Howard on mocks late in the first. I would rather have JHS and I’m sure several NBA teams would too. 

The question is probably whether he wants to be in the late first round or the lottery. If it’s lottery or bust I could see him coming back. If it’s just the first round, I would now think it’s less than a 20% chance he comes back. And less than that if he can play 2 or 3 good games in a row coming up. 

1 minute ago, str8baller said:

Not very often. As I’ve pointed out, he’s a pretty average athlete for an NBA 1st round guard. For comparison’s sake Langford got to the rim with ease in college, was a better pure athlete, and can’t play in the NBA. JHS is a better basketball player though.  He reminds me more of Johnny Davis from UW last year.  

I have been about 50/50 on him leaving after this season. But since then his stock has risen a little and I’ve looked at some of the mock drafts. This years draft looks insanely top heavy with very little depth. I’ve seen Jett Howard on mocks late in the first. I would rather have JHS and I’m sure several NBA teams would too. 

The question is probably whether he wants to be in the late first round or the lottery. If it’s lottery or bust I could see him coming back. If it’s just the first round, I would now think it’s less than a 20% chance he comes back. And less than that if he can play 2 or 3 good games in a row coming up. 

The quote was on Gallo, not JHS.

4 hours ago, go iu bb said:

The key word being "recent."

Why use a game IU won by double digits to make your point about guarding 3-point shots?  Their perimeter shooting didn't help Maryland win.

16 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Why use a game IU won by double digits to make your point about guarding 3-point shots?  Their perimeter shooting didn't help Maryland win.

Just because IU won the game doesn't mean the played great perimeter defense. In fact, they won despite their perimeter defense which simply wasn't very good that game. It's one of the last 4 games that IU has played and the perimeter D wasn't very good in 3 out of the 4. Even in the other (Michigan), they gave up 9 3-pointers. So the trend for the perimeter D leaves a lot to be desired. That's why.

22 hours ago, Honkyman said:

Romeo's problem is he is a poor shooter for an NBA guard. But he was starting for San Antonio this year until he got hurt.

He’s a particularly bad shooter which made his ability to get to the rim that much more impressive.  

With that said, I’m pretty sure the Spurs have been tanking all year so I’m not sure if him starting is a great sign…lol. 

1 hour ago, str8baller said:

He’s a particularly bad shooter which made his ability to get to the rim that much more impressive.  

With that said, I’m pretty sure the Spurs have been tanking all year so I’m not sure if him starting is a great sign…lol. 

Oh yes. Dude was still a baller. If only he would’ve had a coach

On 3/14/2023 at 12:50 PM, HoosierHoopster said:

The quote was on Gallo, not JHS.

It applies to JHS, though.  

This will be an interesting thread for a month. JHS didn’t really have the run he needed to raise his profile. 

3 minutes ago, str8baller said:

This will be an interesting thread for a month. JHS didn’t really have the run he needed to raise his profile. 

Tbh he didnt really need a March run. He had his show out during the season and seems to be solidly locked into the 10-20 position on most mocks. He can and probably should go. 

4 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Hopefully he does the right thing and announces right away . So we can start shopping . While berating him for leaving .lol

32 minutes ago, BtownStrength said:

Tbh he didnt really need a March run. He had his show out during the season and seems to be solidly locked into the 10-20 position on most mocks. He can and probably should go. 

Agreed. It’s incredibly unlikely he’d ever be a top 10 pick. If you’re getting any kind of first round guarantee, you take it. I would hate to see him or any other player “Melo Trimble” his way out of long-term financial security by coming back when it’s unnecessary.

35 minutes ago, BtownStrength said:

Ultimately nobody really cares  that he beat up on Purdue’s crappy guards. NBA scouts are going to look at the Miami game, see that those Miami kids aren’t even close to nba defenders and that JHS couldn’t turn the corner and get to the rim on them.  

With that said it looks like a really thin year and he could be a 1st round guarantee guy. If he came back and had a Johnny Davis like soph year he could play himself into a lottery spot. Of course, he could play himself out of the first round too. 

7 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Ultimately nobody really cares  that he beat up on Purdue’s crappy guards. NBA scouts are going to look at the Miami game, see that those Miami kids aren’t even close to nba defenders and that JHS couldn’t turn the corner and get to the rim on them.  

With that said it looks like a really thin year and he could be a 1st round guarantee guy. If he came back and had a Johnny Davis like soph year he could play himself into a lottery spot. Of course, he could play himself out of the first round too. 

I believe he has more ability to get into the lane than what he's shown in his freshman year. His game really isn't about blowing past his defender though.

8 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

With that said it looks like a really thin year and he could be a 1st round guarantee guy.

JHS would benefit for another year in college but he still looks like a 1st round pick in which case he's gone.

Rabjohns posted on twitter that JHS was completely devastated in the lockeroom, beyond tears. I feel for the guy, he's an outstanding player, he will be in the NBA, either next season (most likely) or if he chooses to stay the next, but that's a lousy way to end what was a very strong year for him. I have been and remain in the camp that another year would benefit him (and certainly IU), but the scouts already have seen what he can bring, and the teams that he works out for will give him the feedback on which he'll make his decision.

The one possible wild card here? CMW. He has the NBA experience and contacts, and will have JHS's ear. 

46 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Rabjohns posted on twitter that JHS was completely devastated in the lockeroom, beyond tears. I feel for the guy, he's an outstanding player, he will be in the NBA, either next season (most likely) or if he chooses to stay the next, but that's a lousy way to end what was a very strong year for him. I have been and remain in the camp that another year would benefit him (and certainly IU), but the scouts already have seen what he can bring, and the teams that he works out for will give him the feedback on which he'll make his decision.

The one possible wild card here? CMW. He has the NBA experience and contacts, and will have JHS's ear. 

Another wildcard is Xavier Johnson coming back. 

Does JHS want to accept a primarily off-ball role?