Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Herotime

JHS— NBA Bound

I’ve listened closely to Woody’s last two pressers, and when JHS’s performance came up CMW has been congratulatory, be intentional about saying ‘Jalen still has a ways to go.’

Do you think Woody is subtly suggesting JHS needs one more year in Bloomington (giving us the best backcourt in the country)?

I’m guessing JHS decision hinges much more on NBA general manager input than Woody’s.  I now see JHS projected in the first round by a couple of services that didn’t have him in the first 2 rounds a month ago. He is gone baby gone.

Woody is correct that JHS has a ways to go, as do most players, but I also take his comments partially being “coach speak” to keep JHS grounded.

Only way he comes back is if we're one and done in the tournament, and he plays awful. 

I think he's gone though, and I kind of want him to go. To recruit at an elite level, we need a 1 and done at least every few years to keep talent coming here. 

5 star guys pay attention to that. We need guys in the league that wore an IU jersey at one time.

He's a lottery pick and that's hard to pass up. If he was a borderline first rounder, maybe. However, this is a good thing for IU basketball. Jalen wasn't on any draft boards to start the season or even two months ago. Any point guard with NBA dreams/potential should want to come here. Jalen's improved so much this year. Would love to see him back, but I don't think it happens. 

4 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

How he plays the remainder of this season is a moot point.  He's already demonstrated what he's capable of and the NBA loves to draft on potential.  

They won’t need to be drafting on potential.

Even at age 19, JHS is a mature, finished player.

Long gone. Zero reason to stay. Sort of doubt he ends up a lottery pick. Could see him struggling some in workouts to create space for himself without help against lottery-level athletes. But he’s got the body and demeanor of a 30yo man and some HC/GM will fall in love with him in the late teens or early twenties and promise him and he’ll shut everything down and there’s his floor. 

37 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

He's a lottery pick and that's hard to pass up. If he was a borderline first rounder, maybe. However, this is a good thing for IU basketball. Jalen wasn't on any draft boards to start the season or even two months ago. Any point guard with NBA dreams/potential should want to come here. Jalen's improved so much this year. Would love to see him back, but I don't think it happens. 

Him leaving and being a lottery pick  will do more for our recruiting than him staying. 

6 minutes ago, southsidehoosier said:

Him leaving and being a lottery pick  will do more for our recruiting than him staying. 

Bingo. Why I'm not worried about next year. I think Woodson will be able to attract top transfers to campus. Jalen wasn't on draft boards two months ago. Trayce was late second round/undrafted. Now Jalen looks like a lottery pick and Trayce could be a first round pick. Won't be easy to replace these guys, but I feel he will be able to bring in talent on a consistent basis. I really think Jalen has potential to be an NBA All-Star..Trayce could be a solid rotational piece for awhile. 

Bingo. Why I'm not worried about next year. I think Woodson will be able to attract top transfers to campus. Jalen wasn't on draft boards two months ago. Trayce was late second round/undrafted. Now Jalen looks like a lottery pick and Trayce could be a first round pick. Won't be easy to replace these guys, but I feel he will be able to bring in talent on a consistent basis. I really think Jalen has potential to be an NBA All-Star..Trayce could be a solid rotational piece for awhile. 
I'll add to that in regards to next year. XJ getting waiver to come back would be huge. Galloway taking on an even larger role, Reneau's development, Banks' development and hopefully ready to go Bates all have me feeling a lot better about next year. No you don't replace TJD, JHS and Race but you get a couple of good players in the portal and I can see next year being a top half of the league team and dancing yet again.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

49 minutes ago, southsidehoosier said:

Winning is what is best for recruiting and not just having one and done players. Don't buy it for a better fit JHS to leave than stay

I don’t think he’s a lottery pick right now, but he’s almost certainly at least a top 20 pick.
Have to watch the teams drafting high and can’t forget the Euro players being drafted along with several outstanding players across the NCAA. 
He’s now shown better consistency than he was showing earlier in the season and that crossed off one of the factors.

He fits the bill for many NBA teams, a big, strong, skilled, on or off ball guard who plays like a man but is still young, sees the floor well, runs P&R and the lob game very well, creates his own shot and has the ability to get to his spot, including both a midrange and outside shot, and is a capable defender.

He’s not a guy who is drafted to start early, and that goes into the lottery evaluation, but he’s definitely shown he can come in and play right away as a backup 1 or 2.

I think he’s gone too at this point, but I will still hope

2 hours ago, JimmerNoe said:

Respectfully, no. Jalen is going to be a top 15 pick in the draft and his stock is still on a steep upward trajectory and could sneak closer to 10.

This is also the best option for our program. Woody will be sitting in the green room on draft night sending old man selfies to all the Montverde kids saying “son, this could be you if you come join my ballclub”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully McNeeley is very receptive to those old man selfies because I'd love to see what Woody could do with a player as versatile as he is. TJD's development as well as that of JHS should help a lot.