Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB 2023 B1G Tournament March 8-12, 2023

2 hours ago, Hoosier Guy said:

Overall, IU has had a good season. Not great, but good. The absence of Xavier for all but two B1G games is a huge deal obviously. The fact that IU is going to be a 5 seed at the least isn’t too bad considering that circumstance. What eats at me is that IU went 6-0 against Purdue, Michigan and Illinois. If you would’ve told me that before the season, I would’ve said there’s no way IU doesn’t win the B1G championship. The flip side of that is the fact that IU went 0-6 against Northwestern, Iowa and Penn State. That is unacceptable. The only thing that changes this season from good to great is a run in the NCAA tournament

But take the names off of those teams and you are saying we went 2-0 against three teams who will probably be a 1 seed, 8 or 9 seed, and an NIT team and 0-2 against teams that will be a 6 or 7 seed, and a couple 10 or so seeds.  The only thing that is surprising is the sweep of the 1 seed.

8 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

In 20 Big Ten games, IU’s opponents shot 40% or better from three 4 times.  10 times opponents were under 30% from deep.  In big ten play, opponents shot 32.8% from three.  If our Big Ten opponents were a single team, they would have been 185th in three point shots made per game and 250th in shooting percentage.

Now, what you do when presented with evidence is up to you but statistically IU did better at defending the three once big ten play hit.  If you to focus on the first Penn State game, cool….but that’s just picking the anecdote to fit your narrative.  Offensively, IU had an issue with the lack of threes taken.  But that’s a separate issue.

It would be interesting to see the data on this. Giving up threes isn't the only reason for losses but a piece to it. I would guess giving up offensive rebounds from either threes or attempting to block shots which results in quick and easy 2s along with fouling the **** out of teams had a lot more to do with it.

It didn't seem our lineup matched our results. We had a "big" lineup but struggled to rebound and get to the line enough for that "big" lineup. The modern offensive you mentioned at the end also has a lot to do with reaching our potential on that end of the floor.

On 3/10/2023 at 7:51 PM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Wish him the best of luck and let us know how he does.

Well he was last minute he was switched to Team 2, but still beat his highest score and qualified for the Eastern Nationals. Overall his elementary team won the state championship in both 3D and bullseye and also had the top individual elementary female in both events as well. Overall great day other than the basketball game! 

It’s been evident on Tv but even more so yesterday watching up close IRL - our 3 point shooters don’t want to shoot. 

We run zero plays to get them open and when the ball is kicked out to them, it’s rarely received in the pocket with the player firmly planted and ready to shoot.

when they do catch it, they are thinking pump fake, drive, pass.

Why? They packed the lane and gave us open threes and we passed them up all game. 

13 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

It’s been evident on Tv but even more so yesterday watching up close IRL - our 3 point shooters don’t want to shoot. 

We run zero plays to get them open and when the ball is kicked out to them, it’s rarely received in the pocket with the player firmly planted and ready to shoot.

when they do catch it, they are thinking pump fake, drive, pass.

Why? They packed the lane and gave us open threes and we passed them up all game. 

As you mentioned, our "shooters" are rarely ever shot ready in our half court offense. I see them more ready on fast breaks than in the half court which is weird.

Edit: we go into long stretches of just standing when the ball goes into the post too.

2 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

It would be interesting to see the data on this. Giving up threes isn't the only reason for losses but a piece to it. I would guess giving up offensive rebounds from either threes or attempting to block shots which results in quick and easy 2s along with fouling the **** out of teams had a lot more to do with it.

It didn't seem our lineup matched our results. We had a "big" lineup but struggled to rebound and get to the line enough for that "big" lineup. The modern offensive you mentioned at the end also has a lot to do with reaching our potential on that end of the floor.

In conference play, 29% of opponent's missed shots in conference play resulted in offensive rebounds.  Statistics on what happened specifically after a missed three pointer simply aren't available that I can find. 

But the idea that IU has been poor defensively against the three in Big Ten competition simply has not been true, which was my point.  The same measures I used for IU -- 4 times in conference teams hit 40% of their three pointers and 10 times then were under 30% -- when using that for Purdue, 8 times teams were over 40% and 5 times they were under 30%. IU opponents hit 32.8% of their threes, Purdue 33.8%.  Indiana was third in conference only games in the Big Ten in defensive three point shooting percentage (only Michigan State and Michigan allowed a lower shooting percentage from three).

I’m sorry, I’m still having a hard time moving on from losing TWICE  to a 22-12 Penn State team in a ad hoc home venue for us!

What if anything, are the players saying? What do they think the problems were?  Why were we presenting such bewildered looks at times, etc?

28 minutes ago, colonel06 said:

I’m sorry, I’m still having a hard time moving on from losing TWICE  to a 22-12 Penn State team in a ad hoc home venue for us!

What if anything, are the players saying? What do they think the problems were?  Why were we presenting such bewildered looks at times, etc?

Outscored 78-12 from three in those two games.

6 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Watch the post game pressers. Effort, lackadaisical, not giving effort for full 40 minutes are a common theme this year in the losses. Woody and the players readily admit this.

They recognize this yet it still happens. smh

18 minutes ago, tomallenfan1 said:

IU is the one that shot themselves in the foot, but it is Purdue’s luck to face a 9 seed without one of its best players, a 13 seed on its 4th game in 4 days, and a 10 seed on its 4th game in 4 days for the BTT title.

Several years ago they got to the final game by playing a 14 and a 10. They always seem to get breaks like this in the BTT. 

30 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Several years ago they got to the final game by playing a 14 and a 10. They always seem to get breaks like this in the BTT. 

They’ve gotten more breaks over the years than we have and have especially gotten their share and then some this year.  It seems the injury bug hit some other teams like it has us, but it hit us way more than any team, except Purdue.  They have not had any issues with injuries that I know of, except Gillis went down a few games earlier this year.   It appears they’ve gotten their share of breaks even from the injury bug.  I guess Houston’s best player is out with a groin injury