Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB 2023 B1G Tournament March 8-12, 2023

So frustrating because that game was so winnable. Missed way too many easy baskets and defensive effort was questionable for long stretches. It’s frustrating to watch how much this team beats themselves. 

Realistically, only three or four times this year where the other team outplayed the Hoosiers. 

For anybody that hasn’t watched any Mountain West basketball this season, they are a lot better than most people know. I follow Nevada and have seen a bunch of their games this season, that conference is tough and reminds me a lot of the BIG….very physical!

Nice to see Tamar play well overall. He’s needed in the Big Dance. Same with Malik. In a win or go home, Woodson absolutely has to play the players who are bringing it because Malik should have played more in the second half. 

Not sure what’s happened to Galloway as of the past three games but he needs to get it going again offensively. Kopp needs to shoot. 

What I would do to see every player on this team play well in the same game. 

1 minute ago, DChoosier said:

I know Trey does a lot of “glue things” but he has a total of 6 points in the last three games. Not optimal.

Agreed. I usually look to him to be scrappy on defense and make a three and some nice layups. There were a few times he looked lost on both ends. Bates really showed up tonight, I hope his effort and skill carry into the tournament 

6 minutes ago, tkbbn said:

We are a ton better than we were prior to Woody, I question some decisions as do all of us but we are trending up nicely. Do we have some warts? Of course we do. Hopefully we get some good match ups on the tournament and make a nice run. Play tough defense and some role players continue to contribute and we can be dangerous. 

We just have to go through the steps to build a program like other programs with new head coaches cruising into the tourney and/or advancing in their conference tourneys.

3 minutes ago, RoadRage said:

Why wasn’t he guarding Pickett instead of Kopp? I think Trey is a better defender!

Who is Kopp guarding if not Pickett? Funk would run around the entire arc before Kopp realizes he's moved. Wynter would have been at the rim while Kopp was sitting on his backside on the arc.

This was identified as a weakness 25 games ago but..

1 minute ago, DChoosier said:

I know Trey does a lot of “glue things” but he has a total of 6 points in the last three games. Not optimal.

Offensively he wasn't good in the last three.  I'm sure that's why you saw the drop in minutes during the last three games -- he had averaged close to 34 minutes per game the previous 9 games and in the last three it fell to 25.  On the flip side, Bates got 22 minutes per game over the last three when he hadn't gotten 20 minutes since January prior to that.

The area of having 2/3 guys on the bench who will never play needs to stop at this season. I love Leal and I think Duccomb could be good… But let’s be honest neither are worth a scholarship for a playing stand point. This team needs depth and shooters. I hate saying it but it is time.

4 minutes ago, IUHoosier5 said:

Nice to see Tamar play well overall. He’s needed in the Big Dance. Same with Malik. In a win or go home, Woodson absolutely has to play the players who are bringing it because Malik should have played more in the second half. 

Not sure what’s happened to Galloway as of the past three games but he needs to get it going again offensively. Kopp needs to shoot. 

What I would do to see every player on this team play well in the same game. 

Hopefully the switch gets flipped for Bates and he comes back to IU next year as a major factor.

2 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Bates has earned the right to start the next game. Gallo off the bench.  Race less minutes if it means playing smaller. We don’t rebound the ball anyway . 

Reneau is a better rebounder than Race.  Problem is the amount he fouls.  Even though it's gotten better, he's a hard guy to start and get more minutes because of the foul trouble.