Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB 2023 B1G Tournament March 8-12, 2023

18 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

He gone

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

It’s probably for the best.  He’s got every physical tool to be an absolute stud but there’s something missing. Maybe it’s the wrong system for him. Maybe he needs to be “the” guy.  Idk but hard to picture him putting it all together suddenly in year 4 here 

13 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

It’s probably for the best.  He’s got every physical tool to be an absolute stud but there’s something missing. Maybe it’s the wrong system for him. Maybe he needs to be “the” guy.  Idk but hard to picture him putting it all together suddenly in year 4 here 

I have been pretty hard on his play in the past and said he shouldn’t be getting any minutes and have said I don’t think he is a B10 caliber player and whatnot. However I have never had a problem with him as a student athlete.  But unless their is more to that photo of him last night on the bench I don’t want to see him in an Indiana uniform again.  Banks should have been playing over him anyway but will be interesting to see if CMW goes to him again after that performance or turns to Banks.  We all know what I’m hoping for.

I feel so bad for X.  He knows this team could be pretty special and it’s absolutely killing him not being out there with his boys most of who will be graduating and leaving him behind.  I hope he uses that and comes back next year and crushes it.

12 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

A great philosopher in a red sweater once said,

“Mental toughness is to physical as four is to one.”

34 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I have been pretty hard on his play in the past and said he shouldn’t be getting any minutes and have said I don’t think he is a B10 caliber player and whatnot. However I have never had a problem with him as a student athlete.  But unless their is more to that photo of him last night on the bench I don’t want to see him in an Indiana uniform again.  Banks should have been playing over him anyway but will be interesting to see if CMW goes to him again after that performance or turns to Banks.  We all know what I’m hoping for.

I feel so bad for X.  He knows this team could be pretty special and it’s absolutely killing him not being out there with his boys most of who will be graduating and leaving him behind.  I hope he uses that and comes back next year and crushes it.

Did he kick your dog? 
Did he walk by you on campus without acknowledging you and you’re actually a woman scorned? 
Your complete failure to acknowledge everything that everyone else saw during our run of dominant wins while Race was out injured, and continuing failure to acknowledge just how bad Race has played and especially last night when we win despite his play that practically turned a W into a L is just bizarre. Not a Big T caliber player? What a joke. The simple fact is he got injured, was in a boot, and coming off the bench hasn’t regained his form. It’s also beyond clear that Woodson will favor exp even when the experienced playeru is playing terribly like last night, Race should not have been on the floor, everyone else can see that, Malik was having a great game. He played more than Race, a good thing, but he should have played more still.

19 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Did he kick your dog? 
Did he walk by you on campus without acknowledging you and you’re actually a woman scorned? 
Your complete failure to acknowledge everything that everyone else saw during our run of dominant wins while Race was out injured, and continuing failure to acknowledge just how bad Race has played and especially last night when we win despite his play that practically turned a W into a L is just bizarre. Not a Big T caliber player? What a joke. The simple fact is he got injured, was in a boot, and coming off the bench hasn’t regained his form. It’s also beyond clear that Woodson will favor exp even when the experienced playeru is playing terribly like last night, Race should not have been on the floor, everyone else can see that, Malik was having a great game. He played more than Race, a good thing, but he should have played more still.

He's an athlete on a basketball court, not a basketball player.  He shows flashes, but has failed to put it all together.  He's had good games, yes, and he was good for a few games when Thompson was hurt, but he has been absolutely terrible just as often if not more.

He needs to earn more minutes, a few good games in a bunch of awful ones doesn't do that.

Inside The Hall -

Trayce Jackson-Davis can move into third place on IU’s all-time scoring list with six points today against Penn State. The current top four:

1. Calbert Cheaney (2,613)

2. Steve Alford (2,438)

3. Don Schlundt (2,192)

4. Trayce Jackson-Davis (2,187)

Alec Lasley - Also still just one double-double away from tying Alan Henderson for third in program history with 49 in a career.

20 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

He's an athlete on a basketball court, not a basketball player.  He shows flashes, but has failed to put it all together.  He's had good games, yes, and he was good for a few games when Thompson was hurt, but he has been absolutely terrible just as often if not more.

He needs to earn more minutes, a few good games in a bunch of awful ones doesn't do that.

We’re not too far apart here. Woodson was starting him, over Malik, he played very well, in 30-min or so games and the lane was on wide open for TJD, unlike with Race, who, as a 6th year senior, doesn’t understand not to pull his man into the post when TJD is about to drive, and frankly is soft and rebounds poorly. The earn minutes thing should work, but it doesn’t when Woodson is stubbornly stuck in favoring experience even when it plays terribly. JG is not just an athlete, he’s already demonstrated that, but he isn’t skilled on the level of Malik or Race - he needs further development, and the insistence on playing Race no matter what is holding him back, that’s on Woodson. I like many things about Woodson, but that’s a weakness in his coaching 

34 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Did he kick your dog? 

I sometimes wonder if you read what I post.  

I literally said I respect JG as a student athlete. I just criticize his play and have always seen him more as an athlete that’s playing basketball.  I stand by what I said that this level is not the right place for him.  So no he didn’t kick my dog and he is not Trey Galloway so I wouldn’t be interested.

As far as Race goes I acknowledged he made some stupid mistakes.  He also more often than not follows up his mistakes with a winning play.  He has been clutch in several games late that have enabled us to win.  Race Thompson is not a problem and I always want him on the floor closing out games.  I said nothing about Malik but after a shaky start he played a great game.  I have been a big fan of his all year.

10 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I literally said I respect JG as a student athlete. I just criticize his play and have always seen him more as an athlete that’s playing basketball.  I stand by what I said that this level is not the right place for him.  So no he didn’t kick my dog and he is not Trey Galloway so I wouldn’t be interested.

As far as Race goes I acknowledged he made some stupid mistakes.  He also more often than not follows up his mistakes with a winning play.  He has been clutch in several games late that have enabled us to win.  Race Thompson is not a problem and I always want him on the floor closing out games.  I said nothing about Malik but after a shaky start he played a great game.  I have been a big fan of his all year.

I was too harsh in my post. We disagree (clearly) on what JG has shown and on Race’s limitations. JG is very much a B1G caliber player, but our discussing that won’t go anywhere. Love Galloway, and his development of a shot this season has been both great to see for his individual play and a big help to the team. Could have come last season when Woodson insisted on starting Stewart all year despite that he was just bad and barely shot the ball to justify being in the floor. Woodson needs to get past his blind spot, his over-favoring experience no matter what, we have and will lose games bc of it, and will lose players who otherwise would develop well.

I generally agree with you about Race closing but there have been times (last night and Minnesota come to mind) where he should not have closed out the game. In each of those games MR was clearly the better player individually and for the team's success. I am a huge Race fan but he nearly killed us last night and should have been pulled in favor of Malik who was clearly the better option.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

I generally agree with you about Race closing but there have been times (last night and Minnesota come to mind) where he should not have closed out the game. In each of those games MR was clearly the better player individually and for the team's success. I am a huge Race fan but he nearly killed us last night and should have been pulled in favor of Malik who was clearly the better option.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I 100% agree with you!  He made some bone head plays that a kindergartner would not make, hence the exaggeration!  He makes me want to pull out my hair but I don’t have any because I shave my head!  For a 6th year college player, he sure as heck doesn’t play like one, I’ve seen a lot of freshman that doesn’t play like that, JHS is one of them.  I can’t help but have nightmares about his 4 missed free throws that would have closed out a game and last nights boneheaded plays.  I think everyone is getting the picture.  He shouldn’t be closing out games, IMO!

22 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

I was too harsh in my post. We disagree (clearly) on what JG has shown and on Race’s limitations. JG is very much a B1G caliber player, but our discussing that won’t go anywhere. Love Galloway, and his development of a shot this season has been both great to see for his individual play and a big help to the team. Could have come last season when Woodson insisted on starting Stewart all year despite that he was just bad and barely shot the ball to justify being in the floor. Woodson needs to get past his blind spot, his over-favoring experience no matter what, we have and will lose games bc of it, and will lose players who otherwise would develop well.

Again, see my post above!  Malik is a decent free throw shooter for a big, I would let him close out games over Race any day 

57 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Inside The Hall -

Trayce Jackson-Davis can move into third place on IU’s all-time scoring list with six points today against Penn State. The current top four:

1. Calbert Cheaney (2,613)

2. Steve Alford (2,438)

3. Don Schlundt (2,192)

4. Trayce Jackson-Davis (2,187)

Alec Lasley - Also still just one double-double away from tying Alan Henderson for third in program history with 49 in a career.

That's really impressive.  For those of you who don't know, Don Schlundt is the most accomplished (perhaps best) player to ever play for the Hoosiers.

He's an NCAA champion, a three time All American, and held the scoring record for more than 3 decades.  RIP big man.

TJD, if you're going to pass Schlundt, you better go ahead and win the whole damn tournament.