Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB 2023 B1G Tournament March 8-12, 2023

They got this one but this game is a microcosm of everything wrong with Purdue's approach going into March.  Being reliant on rock fight basketball, wide foul discrepancies in their favor (more than 2:1 at times), overall bad officiating, and less than dynamic guard play is a terrible recipe for success in a high variance event like the NCAA tournament.

13 minutes ago, tkbbn said:

Didn't get a chance to watch the purdoodoo and rugers game but seen that purdoodoo shot 27 free throws. Read on here that the officiating wasn't good but was biased and unless ruger was playing whack a mole it seems like it for sure.

Typical physical Big 1.o game, they could have called a few more fouls on purdoodoo. If this game were officiated according to basketball rules both teams couldn't have put 5 on the court to finish the game.

Edit: you're going to have bias with every fan base. I'm sure purdoodoo fans were upset they didn't get more calls, ditto for Rutger fans.

I don't like either team but would like to have unbiased officiating. The mich st and Ohio st will be better as Larry is officiating this one. Hopefully he doesn't get a game off and does the IU game later.

9 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Typical physical Big 1.o game, they could have called a few more fouls on purdoodoo. If this game were officiated according to basketball rules both teams couldn't have put 5 on the court to finish the game.

Edit: you're going to have bias with every fan base. I'm sure purdoodoo fans were upset they didn't get more calls, ditto for Rutger fans.

I thought the refs were bad but not biased.  Lot of missed calls but not necessarily biased toward one team.  Truth is if you called Edey for some things people want him called for them on most trips Edey gets fouled himself.

I hope someone can help me. I recently had to get a new phone and went from Samsung to a Apple. I can't for the life of me find an BTOWNBanners app to download. I really don't like the website version on my phone. Could someone direct me to a downloadable app for an IPHONE? 

14 minutes ago, Hoosier DaDa said:

I hope someone can help me. I recently had to get a new phone and went from Samsung to a Apple. I can't for the life of me find an BTOWNBanners app to download. I really don't like the website version on my phone. Could someone direct me to a downloadable app for an IPHONE? 

No longer possible. The app was a pain for the site owner to keep updated/working, so if you don’t have it you can’t get it.

I think some folks around here use the Tapatalk app as an alternative. 

4 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Purdue may have looked lousy today, but if I were them, I'd be licking my chops at the thought of playing OSU or MSU tomorrow. 

OSU's been playing a lot better. I think either team can beat this PU team -- here's to hoping

4 hours ago, Scotty R said:

I don't know about LA since the Pac 12 don't even have their conference tournament there 

They have it in Vegas or San Francisco, usually. 

But when the Big Ten expanded with Rutgers and Maryland, they had the brilliant idea to have it in Washington DC and New York City, so that's my thought process. 

1 minute ago, HoosierHoopster said:

OSU's been playing a lot better. I think either team can beat this PU team -- here's to hoping

It would be their 4th game in 4 days. They'll have no legs left by then. MSU had no answer for Edey in either game, their guards literally stood around and watched the ball go in to Edey over and over again with no pressure whatsoever. I didn't expect Rutgers to win today, but figured they had a better shot because their guards are actually capable of making Purdue uncomfortable. 

37 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I thought the refs were bad but not biased.  Lot of missed calls but not necessarily biased toward one team.  Truth is if you called Edey for some things people want him called for them on most trips Edey gets fouled himself.

Agreed, it's much easier to just blame the officials than concede Edey is good as well as a really large human being that is really difficult to defend without the physicality.

5 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

It would be their 4th game in 4 days. They'll have no legs left by then. MSU had no answer for Edey in either game, their guards literally stood around and watched the ball go in to Edey over and over again with no pressure whatsoever. I didn't expect Rutgers to win today, but figured they had a better shot because their guards are actually capable of making Purdue uncomfortable. 

Yeah fatigue can definitely be an issue. OSU currently beating up MSU though, 33-24 at the half. PU's guards look terrible.

I've checked in on other team's message boards from time to time this year. The one thing they all have in common is the hatred for the officiating. I won't argue that it is good, fair, or consistent. But everyone consistently thinks their team gets screwed. I've come to accept it as just the nature of the state of college basketball right now.

5 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Agreed, it's much easier to just blame the officials than concede Edey is good as well as a really large human being that is really difficult to defend without the physicality.

Edey is very, very good.

But in terms of biased v bad officiating, I think it’s a lot easier to weed out biased v bad.