Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB 2023 B1G Tournament March 8-12, 2023

1 hour ago, Honkyman said:

Nebraska is playing very well right now. They beat Iowa--something IU hasn't done in a while. I wouldn't be surprised if Nebraska beats a Maryland team that struggles to win away from College Park.

With IU's grotesque BTT history, getting destroyed by Nebraska is almost certain. :( 

35 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

We all know how this works: we'll spend the whole week talking about Maryland, then somehow it will be Nebraska instead, and we'll find ourselves down 22-10 before the second TV timeout. 

Forgot to mention that random player on MD’s bench averaging 2.5 PPG dropping 3 threes in the first 4 minutes 

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Not just Friday but a 9 pm Friday game. Going to be a long week and a long day Friday

The good news is there’s lots of other hoops, almost all day much of the week, and IU’s season + win yesterday means I can watch it without emotionally overinvesting 

33 minutes ago, lillurk said:

The good news is there’s lots of other hoops, almost all day much of the week, and IU’s season + win yesterday means I can watch it without emotionally overinvesting 

How nice is it not to be sweating whether we play in the play-in game, get screwed with UM getting selected ahead of us despite its trash record....

4 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Maryland as a road team, with Kevin Willard coaching? 

Sign. Me. Up.

Ok I didn’t think about that. Just seems Maryland has always given us fits. 

by the way I’m not completely sold on Nebraska yet neither 

4 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Maryland as a road team, with Kevin Willard coaching? 

Sign. Me. Up.

With IU fans, it will be like 75% in United Center for that game 

While MD does suck on the road, here are there their Neutral games 

W St Louis 95-67

W Miami (FL) 88-70

L Tennessee 53-56

Willard was also questionable in the Big East Tournament at Seton Hall. Believed he went 12-11 in 12 years with a 2016 Championship and another Championship Final appearance. But other than that, they were mediocre 

4 hours ago, Honkyman said:

Nebraska is playing very well right now. They beat Iowa--something IU hasn't done in a while. I wouldn't be surprised if Nebraska beats a Maryland team that struggles to win away from College Park.

That is my prediction as well

22 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

While MD does suck on the road, here are there their Neutral games 

W St Louis 95-67

W Miami (FL) 88-70

L Tennessee 53-56

Willard was also questionable in the Big East Tournament at Seton Hall. Believed he went 12-11 in 12 years with a 2016 Championship and another Championship Final appearance. But other than that, they were mediocre 

That's actually a pretty good record!

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Keep in mind the game right before us in that session is Northwestern v possibly Illinois.  Both their fanbases will have a ton of tickets to our game.  If they decide to stick around I guarantee none of them will be rooting for IU no matter who we play.

Coach Ya filled in for Woody for the last Monday night radio show.

Yasir Rosemond confirmed as far as who has the scout for the 3 potential opponents for Indiana this weekend in the Big Ten Tournament, he has Minnesota, Kenya Hunter has Nebraska, and Brian Walsh has Maryland.

Yasir Rosemond on Race Thompson: "I don't think many people realized how many injuries he has played through....He stabilizes our team. He helps Trayce in so many ways...we feel comfortable when he is on the floor."

Yasir Rosemond on the Iowa loss: "Iowa, first off, is a difficult team for us because of the way they play. They play small, and we play big guys."

58 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Yasir Rosemond on the Iowa loss: "Iowa, first off, is a difficult team for us because of the way they play. They play small, and we play big guys."

Not sure that equates since Iowa had more blocked shots, more defensive rebounds, more offensive rebounds, more second chance points….

they are a tough matchup because we can be piss poor on our perimeter defense and are always needing to help and Iowa has no problem working the ball around, making the extra pass which left their shooter wide open almost every time 

59 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Coach Ya filled in for Woody for the last Monday night radio show.

Yasir Rosemond confirmed as far as who has the scout for the 3 potential opponents for Indiana this weekend in the Big Ten Tournament, he has Minnesota, Kenya Hunter has Nebraska, and Brian Walsh has Maryland.

Yasir Rosemond on Race Thompson: "I don't think many people realized how many injuries he has played through....He stabilizes our team. He helps Trayce in so many ways...we feel comfortable when he is on the floor."

This from ITH, quoting Woodson:

“They came in, said “who are you going with?” Well, I’ve got to go with the next senior guy.”

This statement was about why he went with Bates over a freshman, but it’s a direct statement of what he’s been doing since he started, he favors veterans, to a fault.

I have been and am a Woodson believer long term, but that’s a blind spot, it’s a weakness. Start and play Stewart/Kopp all last season no matter how poorly they play. Start and play Race big minutes over both JG and Race after they had us absolutely rolling, and when Race is clearly still recovering and playing poorly. Yes, we have options (when healthy), and Woodson needs to develop away from his over-reliance on “the next senior guy” and develop trust earlier in the guys showing growth and impact. Rosemond on Race “we feel comfortable” is another way of saying the same thing. Comfort when a senior isn’t playing well isn’t a good thing. Race on senior night had a pretty nice game, notwithstanding 4 straight missed key FT’s and a negative plus-minus iirc. Hope he can raise his game going forward in the tourneys.

9 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

but it’s a direct statement of what he’s been doing since he started, he favors veterans, to a fault.

If not Bates, who does Woodson go with? CJ Gunn who is shooting 8.3% from 3-point range? If not Kopp, who does Woodson go with? He has been using Banks to spell Kopp but Banks has not been particularly reliable. On the one hand, critics complain that Indiana has no bench. On the other, critics complain that Woodson goes with the most experienced players. The fact is among guards--after JHS who is a freshman and Galloway, there is no player other than Bates who could have reasonably filled in for Galloway when Galloway fouled out in the Michigan game. And, the decision proved to be the right one as Bates hit two critical 3-point shots. It is easy to complain about playing certain players but you have to consider the alternative.