Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Michigan - Sunday, 3/5/23 @ 4:30 on CBS

That about gave me heart attack. Race made some huge defensive plays but this FTs……. TJD was possessed towards the end (my wife who doesn’t watch much, asked if anyone does anything besides him-I answered with not much).

Glad we got the ugly W. We aren’t good. We might win 1. We might win 2. But that’s our ceiling. Shooting sucks.

But happy to dream ahead of us as a 4 seed. Sounds pretty good in my head at least.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

2 minutes ago, mark1981 said:

Dang.  Love our draw for the b10 tourney.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Michigan come out of the top of the bracket. Dickinson/Edey matchup is gonna be fun to watch and Michigan will have Jett this time for their matchup with Purdue (assuming Michigan wins bc Rutgers is the walking dead right now).

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

We are healthier than expected going into the dance and conference tournament.

Absent X, our top seven is ready to roll.

21-10, second/third in conference, swept Purdue, about a four seed (that’s top 16 y’all), ranked almost all year.

After a long, vast wasteland of sadness.

Anyone that has analysis of what we can be better at? I’m with you.

But anyone that complains about the direction of the team, and doubts when we’re behind or give up an in-game run? Get in touch with reality, because our reality is a whole lot of fun.

I don't consider weekly, basketball induced heart problems to be... "fun" lol

26 minutes ago, BGVille Hoosierfan said:

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Michigan come out of the top of the bracket. Dickinson/Edey matchup is gonna be fun to watch and Michigan will have Jett this time for their matchup with Purdue (assuming Michigan wins bc Rutgers is the walking dead right now).

It would be wild if we met Michigan in the final a week from today. But given the histories of both programs in this event, I think they'd have a better shot of getting there than us. 

7 hours ago, Joe_hoopsier said:

The best thing to happen would be... After the ESPN building is empty and there are no people close... That a giant sinkhole swallows the d@mn thing into the ground, never to be seen from again. 

Did anyone notice the last game where they had TJD's pic on an Iowa background and called him chris murray and vise versa for murray?

Well, not only did I screw up that this game wasn't on ESPN (although what I said was true), I've made a complete @$$ out of myslef over on Hoosier sports nation. .... But I can't quit now !!! lol Gotta double double down on stupidity!

35 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

We avoid Iowa but could get Northwestern if we get by Maryland (?). I'll be happy when we're playing noncon foes again.

I can't believe I just read that.  We can't be "afraid" of Northwestern.  Man the world is changing.  :) 

2 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Kenpom hated our last 2 games. We dropped to 30th after winning this one. Our offensive efficiency ranking fell 7 spots. 

This sounds right to me. Very glad we got the W and haven’t given up on the possibilities in the tourney, but we are not the same team right now. 

13 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

This sounds right to me. Very glad we got the W and haven’t given up on the possibilities in the tourney, but we are not the same team right now. 

For many reasons:

1) we’ve looked fatigued 

2) sloppy play at times 

3) no bench support 

4) home and away shooting numbers from 3

Just now, IUFAN1976 said:

For many reasons:

1) we’ve looked fatigued 

2) sloppy play at times 

3) no bench support 

4) home and away shooting numbers from 3

Not the same team as earlier in the year last night?!?

1) I thought we played with excellent energy. Not for 40 minutes (clearly) but in a real way, and especially when the minutes piled up.

2) Eight turnovers in 45 minutes is most certainly not sloppy. Especially against an athletic, desperate Michigan team that has been playing really well.

3) Bates was pretty damn good defensively last night. For some reason he lost confidence in his offense, but the extended minutes last night were good for that too. He looked like a shooter by game's end. Reneau was good too. The guy has sticky rebounding hands.

4) yes - true

14 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

3) no bench support 

Yes,  bench play overall has been weak. But against Michigan, Malik Reneau played pretty well. Tamar Bates also played well when he came in after Galloway fouled out. Bates' problem has been when he comes off the bench he thinks he has to provide instant offense. So he rushes shots or takes ill advised shots. But when Bates came in after Galloway fouled out, he hit a couple of 3s and played good defense. Yes he missed a point blank shot (too much spin on the ball) but otherwise looked good. Banks also played pretty good defense.

12 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Not the same team as earlier in the year last night?!?

1) I thought we played with excellent energy. Not for 40 minutes (clearly) but in a real way, and especially when the minutes piled up.

2) Eight turnovers in 45 minutes is most certainly not sloppy. Especially against an athletic, desperate Michigan team that has been playing really well.

3) Bates was pretty damn good defensively last night. For some reason he lost confidence in his offense, but the extended minutes last night were good for that too. He looked like a shooter by game's end. Reneau was good too. The guy has sticky rebounding hands.

4) yes - true

No we're not playing like the team that was crushing teams by an average of 13 ppg during our real run. We are struggling to score from the outside, we let UM go on a big run, from up to down double digits, we have been struggling to rebound well (and even got outrebounded by UM), our D has fallen off. That's not to tarnish the exceptional effort and poise it took to climb back into yesterday's game, it wasn't pretty at all, but it was still a heck of focused effort to pull it out. Matchups in the tourney are of course going to  matter, but we need our earlier D to return, we need to create space better again for the outside shooting, we need guys who are rebounding playing more, and we need consistent offensive production from Bates and even Gallo. I'm not trying to knock the team, I loved the W yesterday, and UM is talented and played like they were trying to make the dance, but we're better than this.