Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Iowa - Tuesday, 2/28/23 @ 7:00 on ESPN2

14 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Yes, but it should be noted that in the women's game the descrepacy of talent between teams is much greater.  The top ten women's teams have a combined 34 losses and 16 of those losses are to each other.  Losses to non-top ten teams by a top ten team are incredibly rare.  Th

I did not see the rest of your post. It was cut off on my end; but what is your point? I’m talking about talent. It holds true every year in all sports. 

3 minutes ago, GoHoosiers1996 said:

I did not see the rest of your post. It was cut off on my end; but what is your point? I’m talking about talent. It holds true every year in all sports. 

The point was about it being easier in the women’s game to get consistency when the talent discrepancy between the top teams is so big.  In the women’s game, the top four teams have a total of 8 losses.  

That’s not to say IU men don’t need more consistency —they do.  But I don’t think comparing their consistency to a top women’s team is apples to apples.  

10 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

The point was about it being easier in the women’s game to get consistency when the talent discrepancy between the top teams is so big.  In the women’s game, the top four teams have a total of 8 losses.  

That’s not to say IU men don’t need more consistency —they do.  But I don’t think comparing their consistency to a top women’s team is apples to apples.  

Nice me says - ok. Re me says help! 

What I learned from tonight that confirmed a fear of mine: Woodson cannot scout or create a proper game plan against Iowa. Archie had the same issue against several other Big Ten teams, but ironically was excellent against the Hawkeyes. Woodson on the other hand is much better at preparing and creating game plans against Michigan, Purdue, and Illinois than either of our last two coaches.

Given this, I fully expect to win Sunday against the Wolverines. Archie would have lost to PU and Michigan but won tonight. Woodson on other hand beat Purdue and will likely beat Michigan but lose to Iowa. Every coach has a team that has their number and for Woodson it is Iowa. As a result I have no doubt this is a one-off and team will win Sunday and a game or two in conference tourney as long as they avoid the Hawkeyes. 

On the women's side there is nothing more I want than another shot at Iowa in the championship of the Big Ten Tournament this Sunday after what happened a few days ago. Here on the men's team, I want nothing more to do with Iowa this season until Woodson can solve how to prep for the Hawks (hopefully by next season).

Given how badly Woodson has done against Iowa, I fully expected what happened tonight and think it is a one-off. 

This tongue in cheek quote byTampa Bay Bucs Coach John McKay seems appropriate after last night’s game. 
What do you think of your team’s execution coach?” To which McKay replied, “I’m in favor of it.”

I’ll bet Woody felt the same way…..

That beat down of the Hoosiers was a needless disappointment/embarrassment.

6 hours ago, Aaron said:

What I learned from tonight that confirmed a fear of mine: Woodson cannot scout or create a proper game plan against Iowa. Archie had the same issue against several other Big Ten teams, but ironically was excellent against the Hawkeyes. Woodson on the other hand is much better at preparing and creating game plans against Michigan, Purdue, and Illinois than either of our last two coaches.

Given this, I fully expect to win Sunday against the Wolverines. Archie would have lost to PU and Michigan but won tonight. Woodson on other hand beat Purdue and will likely beat Michigan but lose to Iowa. Every coach has a team that has their number and for Woodson it is Iowa. As a result I have no doubt this is a one-off and team will win Sunday and a game or two in conference tourney as long as they avoid the Hawkeyes. 

On the women's side there is nothing more I want than another shot at Iowa in the championship of the Big Ten Tournament this Sunday after what happened a few days ago. Here on the men's team, I want nothing more to do with Iowa this season until Woodson can solve how to prep for the Hawks (hopefully by next season).

Given how badly Woodson has done against Iowa, I fully expected what happened tonight and think it is a one-off. 

I don’t think it was the game plan execution, although we will never know, but it was a lack of toughness, energy, effort, and game plan execution that led to their lackluster/disappointing/humiliating play last night.  

We have won 1 then lost 1 over the past 6 games.  It's like we can't sustain any energy the next game after a win.  That's a bad trend too!

I will say this, if this is how they are going play after a big win, they'll go 1 and done in the dance.  They were a 3 seed in the B10 tournament and a double bye, now who knows where they will land.  Also, they were in line to land a 3 seed in the dance, now they could land on the 5 or 6 seed line.  Not acceptable from a team that has swept the #5 team in the country.  I wouldn't have been that upset if we lost as long as the team competed, gave effort and played with energy!  Again, totally unacceptable!!!!

After a big win, that’s when the leadership is supposed to step up so we don’t have let downs, where was that last night and the other 3 losses after a win?

4 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Everyone in the starting 5 had a negative +/-.  Davis was the best at -15, Galloway the worst at -25 with Thompson second worst at -23.  Ouch.

Even though he got his points, it was obvious to me that TJD didn’t show any energy!  
How many 50-50 balls did we not get because of effort and energy?  Instead of getting on the floor, I seen them too many reaching for the ball (imagine a facepalm)

2 hours ago, Whoozhers said:

This tongue in cheek quote byTampa Bay Bucs Coach John McKay seems appropriate after last night’s game. 
What do you think of your team’s execution coach?” To which McKay replied, “I’m in favor of it.”

I’ll bet Woody felt the same way…..

That beat down of the Hoosiers was a needless disappointment/embarrassment.

Love that quote. 

Now if you listened to TJD’s presser, he mentioned that their defense completely fell apart.  The nail slot whatever was all messed up.  Guys covering the wrong guys, bad switches, etc.  How the hell does that happen at the end of the season.  Kids plying in la la land.  

6 hours ago, Aaron said:

I not ready to say this is Crean and Wisconsin bad yet. I think it’s more of a matchup problem with Murray and a lack of effort from the team. His game plan worked great for a half at Iowa before the effort went away.

6 hours ago, Aaron said:

What I learned from tonight that confirmed a fear of mine: Woodson cannot scout or create a proper game plan against Iowa. 

I forget how the losses went last year, but this year it was somewhat predictable in that we are pretty bad at guarding on the perimeter. On a team that drives a lot it is ameliorated by TJD guarding the paint.  On a team like Iowa that can shoot it, it is a death sentence if they are on.  We gave up a ton of open looks to teams like Wisky and Purdue, but they couldn’t make them.   

Our perimeters are our variable. TJD plays consistently good to great every game. When the guards play well we look great. When they roll over on defense and can’t keep pace on offense we get rolled. Last night our perimeters couldn’t keep pace offensively even though Iowa is a laughably bad defensive team. Just a pathetic performance all around. 

23 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Love that quote. 

Now if you listened to TJD’s presser, he mentioned that their defense completely fell apart.  The nail slot whatever was all messed up.  Guys covering the wrong guys, bad switches, etc.  How the hell does that happen at the end of the season.  Kids plying in la la land.  

This happens when you don’t have good basketball guys on the bench and you have recruiters instead. Woody needs to strengthen the staff in the off-season. Rosemond needs to go immediately. 

In no way did it make any impact in the game but have you ever seen 3 officials so scared to make Fran mad? They weren't going to do anything to get him fired up. Just seemed weird.

Also we lose the majority of the games Brian Dorsey does of ours. I don't think he is against us, I just think he officiates a style of play that we don't like to play. 

So, a team oozing with talent on the road Saturday has virtually nothing to zero except for TJD 3 days later at home. Unexplainable.

10 TO’s. 16 of 20 from the line. Not bad stat.

Out rebounded by 12. No bueno.