Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Iowa - Tuesday, 2/28/23 @ 7:00 on ESPN2

5 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

This team could just as easily lose first round of the tourney while looking like they bever belonged as make a little noise.

I don’t think we’d lose in the first round barring a really bad 5/12 draw. But everything past that will be really dependent on draw. Keep us away from smaller quick teams with good perimeter offenses (eg Kansas, marquette, st Mary’s) and give us teams that like to grind it out on defense (e.g. Tennessee, Arkansas) where TJD can be one man show if he has to. 

6 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I might be in the minority, but I never thought of this team as a Final Four contender. The only way we're getting there is if our region is full of upsets and we cash in. We're not beating multiple teams seeded higher than us. I just don't think we have the athleticism you typically see with Final Four squads. We looked great against Purdue because they lack elite athletes. Kansas and Arizona have superior athletes and they had their way with us. I thought Iowa looked noticeably more athletic than us tonight too. 

How many teams do you see as final four contenders? I see maybe 6

5 minutes ago, Ryno6284 said:

Holy $hit were they on!  sometimes you just shake your head and go on.  Thank the Lord this wasn't a tourney game!

They played great and we played awful.  Not much to say.  They are an awful matchup for us to begin with because of Murray and when their other guys get going it’s tough.  

They can look great on any given night but ultimately will not get far because they will not play defense most nights.  Franimal will cost them a game at some point too with his shenanigans.

Just now, str8baller said:

I don’t think we’d lose in the first round barring a really bad 5/12 draw. But everything past that will be really dependent on draw. Keep us away from smaller quick teams with good perimeter offenses (eg Kansas, marquette, st Mary’s) and give us teams that like to grind it out on defense (e.g. Tennessee, Arkansas) where TJD can be one man show if he has to. 

Would be nice to play Virginia in that respect.

16 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

But he won’t be ready if he doesn’t play big ten competition. In a game like this at least u give him time because no one else cared to try.

He played 14 minutes tonight and got minutes in the first half when the game wasn’t over.  It’s not like he just got in at the end of the game. 

I might be in the minority, but I never thought of this team as a Final Four contender. The only way we're getting there is if our region is full of upsets and we cash in. We're not beating multiple teams seeded higher than us. I just don't think we have the athleticism you typically see with Final Four squads. We looked great against Purdue because they lack elite athletes. Kansas and Arizona have superior athletes and they had their way with us. I thought Iowa looked noticeably more athletic than us tonight too. 

Largely agree here. My point was more of that if this were a team of players that consistently play at their best like the top teams have, it would be much easier to predict how they would come out on a given night. The top teams best players, for the most part, give you what you’d expect, if not more, night in and night out with some odd games here and there. The only time Indiana has had that is the 5 game stretch where trayce was truly dominant. But some games we make 7-8 threes and others we make 1. It’s just impossible to game plan for something that you have no confidence in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Did we recruit Perkins? Dude is better than Galloway or end of the bench Leal.

He's a junior, which means the coach at Rhode Island would have been responsible for any potential recruitment. 

2 minutes ago, hoopsta007 said:

Would be nice to play Virginia in that respect.

Pace and scoring wise, I agree. But they are smart and deliberate with their passing and cutting. I fear our defense would get demoralized after a little while like they often do, and just give up tons of easy shots.  I think they would make things hard on TJD but probably leave a lot of those midrange opportunities for JHS.  

It’d be an interesting matchup the more I think about it. 

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

He was better than Galloway tonight. Not most of the season. Plus play different positions. He’s always been better than Leal

yes, and Perkins shooting has been suspect throughout his career.  He’s a low volume 33% three point shooter.  If X was healthy, Perkins would be our third best point guard.  Kudos to him tonight but one game doesn’t really change the narrative.

1 minute ago, RaceToTheTop said:

yes, and Perkins shooting has been suspect throughout his career.  He’s a low volume 33% three point shooter.  If X was healthy, Perkins would be our third best point guard.  Kudos to him tonight but one game doesn’t really change the narrative.

Averages 12 ppg

30 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Seeds just don’t matter much anymore especially with with extra covid year   

Every 4/13 matchup last year was under 10 pts.   2 of them 4 pts and Illinois should of lost to Chattanooga but they ended up winning by 1 

3-14 had 1 close game and that was Wisky (shocker) 

5/12 went 2-2 

6-11 went 3-1 for the 11 seed.   

with middle of the pack Power 6 teams taking up most the 11 and 12 seeds it makes for an exciting first round 

makes the second round games just as exciting.  Every 1 seed last year had a game 7 pts or less in the second round with 1 of them losing.   The old days of coasting into the sweet 16 are over.  You have to earn your way into the sweet 16.   Seeding is way less important than the matchups.    It makes for the best sporting event on the planet though 

3 minutes ago, Ryno6284 said:

Do you blame Woody or the players he is coaching?  I think he is stuck between a rock and hard place because of TJD.  We all know the stats, but the motor/drive was/is questioned now by some and a lot during his recruitment!  This team goes as TJD goes.  If this was JHS team, I think it might be a different story. 

Go ahead crucify me now!

There is plenty of blame to go around for performances like this. It was definitely there before Woody arrived and you could attribute it to different things/people. There is always a balance between being too strict and too lenient. It's much easier to start stricter and loosen the reins than to tighten the screws later.

I've been vocal about the [lack of] leadership for this team and program for a hot minute. I don't think Woody is ignorant to this but you're limited in what you can say publicly. It's nice of him to call out the leadership when he's shown it a few times throughout the season or what they're calling leadership.

Would it be different if JHS was the leader? Possibly, young men in that 17-24ish range are a bit erratic in how they handle those issues. I thought XJ had the most leadership potential in this group.

6 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Galloway averages 7 ppg and Perkins 12 ppg. Treys hair though

Completely different roles.  IU needs shooters, which is something Perkins isn't.  Iowa doesn't need more shooters but does need slashers like Perkins.

Nothing like a bad loss to have fans turn on their own.

This game proves we won’t go far in the tournament. We struggle with quick teams and can’t guard on the perimeter. Our bench has dwindled down and our rebounding has been horrendous all season. We are not consistent enough to make it past the sweet 16.