Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Iowa - Tuesday, 2/28/23 @ 7:00 on ESPN2

2 minutes ago, normandale97 said:

Yep…and not all freshman are ready to play right away like JHS. Banks is clearly one of those that isn’t ready. It’s not his fault. He’s just not a big10 player right now. That doesn’t mean he won’t be. He just hasn’t been good this year. 

But he won’t be ready if he doesn’t play big ten competition. In a game like this at least u give him time because no one else cared to try.

1 minute ago, cbp4iu said:

So we are looking at 9 new players next year…. Great….. Portal watch should be fun. 

We were always going to be portal heavy next year. It’s the best way to rebuild a team quickly like Coach Moren did bringing in Scalia and Parrish. Get players that are ready to play right away right away. Let’s not forget this year…with X this team can still make a run. 

2 hours ago, J34 said:

Is it as ugly on TV, as it is live?

Wide open threes, uncontested layups, and overall lack of interest. 

Oh it was ugly didn't stay for the whole second half left at the under 8 timeout.

16 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Before this game, I thought we had a realistic chance to win the Big Ten tournament. Now that we'll likely be playing Thursday, we can probably forget about it. The Big Ten tournament has been around for ~25 years and I think only three teams won it that had to play four games. There's just such a huge difference in having to win 4 games instead of 3. 

I could see Iowa winning it. Probably the best offense in the league when they are on.

Big win at Purdue then get completely stomped at home.  They hit over 50% from deep, we hit sub 19%.  This team could just as easily lose first round of the tourney while looking like they bever belonged as make a little noise.

I'd caution against people thinking Johnson would step in and be a savior; he can be one of the best or the single worst player on the floor, not the type I'd want to just throw into the fire and he won't have much time to get up to speed.

6 minutes ago, normandale97 said:

Yep…and not all freshman are ready to play right away like JHS. Banks is clearly one of those that isn’t ready. It’s not his fault. He’s just not a big10 player right now. That doesn’t mean he won’t be. He just hasn’t been good this year. 

I never expected him to be a JHS type frosh!  I said he will be a good 4 year player.

6 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

I was thinking 10 minutes into the second. If they don’t want to hear what coach preaches then an example has to be made. No passion or effort. 

100% agreed. We were already beat 

Don’t know if this has already been said but, IMO it’s pointless to speculate on what this team could or should play like. There are 2 versions and 1 is a legit final four contender and the other gets blow out by a double digit seed in round one. They are capable of beating anyone and losing to anyone. As maddening as it is they are consistently inconsistent

2 minutes ago, patrickmorriso9 said:

Don’t know if this has already been said but, IMO it’s pointless to speculate on what this team could or should play like. There are 2 versions and 1 is a legit final four contender and the other gets blow out by a double digit seed in round one. They are capable of beating anyone and losing to anyone. As maddening as it is they are consistently inconsistent

I might be in the minority, but I never thought of this team as a Final Four contender. The only way we're getting there is if our region is full of upsets and we cash in. We're not beating multiple teams seeded higher than us. I just don't think we have the athleticism you typically see with Final Four squads. We looked great against Purdue because they lack elite athletes. Kansas and Arizona have superior athletes and they had their way with us. I thought Iowa looked noticeably more athletic than us tonight too. 

1 minute ago, patrickmorriso9 said:

One point:  IU has zero losses that are quad 2 (I think only 2 are quad 2).  Take a look at the number of teams that can say that.  

Every team in the 4/5 seed region can lose to a 12/13.  Not all of them are truly final four contenders.

Just now, TheWatShot said:

I might be in the minority, but I never thought of this team as a Final Four contender. The only way we're getting there is if our region is full of upsets and we cash in. We're not beating multiple teams seeded higher than us. I just don't think we have the athleticism you typically see with Final Four squads. We looked great against Purdue because they lack elite athletes. Kansas and Arizona have superior athletes and they had their way with us. I thought Iowa looked noticeably more athletic than us tonight too. 

Well, Purdue would be a team seeded higher.  And FWIW, if IU beats Meatchicken they are likely a 4 seed.  And 4 seeds at most have to beat 2 teams seeded higher to reach the final four.

3 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

We lack the consistency to make a run like that IMO

1 minute ago, RaceToTheTop said:

One point:  IU has zero losses that are quad 2 (I think only 2 are quad 2).  Take a look at the number of teams that can say that.  

Every team in the 4/5 seed region can lose to a 12/13.  Not all of them are truly final four contenders.

Particularly if said 12/13 seed shoots ~75% until garbage time with a large volume of threes.  Not many teams in the country who could overcome that

10 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Big win at Purdue then get completely stomped at home.  They hit over 50% from deep, we hit sub 19%.  This team could just as easily lose first round of the tourney while looking like they bever belonged as make a little noise.

I'd caution against people thinking Johnson would step in and be a savior; he can be one of the best or the single worst player on the floor, not the type I'd want to just throw into the fire and he won't have much time to get up to speed.

Doubt he’d be asked to do anything more than step into Bates 10-15 minute role off the bench if he can play.  I’d take that.