Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

wirenuts

Baseball and basketball cards

Thirty years ago when I moved out, my mom tossed all of my cards.  Would have been worth quite a nice penny today.

Anyone old enough to remember the one year where there were NBA cards that were three small cards to a card with a perforation between cards?  Strangest cards ever.

1980-81 Topps Basketball Checklist, Set Info, Details, Reviews, Top Cards

59 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Thirty years ago when I moved out, my mom tossed all of my cards.  Would have been worth quite a nice penny today.

Anyone old enough to remember the one year where there were NBA cards that were three small cards to a card with a perforation between cards?  Strangest cards ever.

Yes. I had a few of them growing up but never the magic/bird combo. 

My oldest and middle boys are getting into trading cards. Mostly Pokémon, but there are more and more basketball cards in there. It just makes me a little crazy watching the way they handle them despite the many explanations of how cards are graded and valued. Ps, there are some ridiculously valuable Pokémon cards.

Personally I would love to get back into card collecting. Some of my collection from yesteryear have grown into a nice little investment.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

4 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

I have several containers that were in storage for many years. I have no idea what’s in the collection. I thought many baseball cards lost their value in recent years?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

They were on a definite downward trend...but then the pandemic happened. Since then values have skyrocketed. It has dropped back down a little since but it is still very popular

I haven't "collected" in 30 years.  I have a walk-in closet at my house that is dedicated to what I have.  Mostly baseball with some basketball, football, and hockey sprinkled in.  I keep telling myself I am going to catalog them but I never do.  

The most valuable cards I would have had would have been the Stars Wars first series cards.  The Luke Skywalker card (#1) in grade 10 condition has sold for over $50,000, but there are only a handful still in existence. I had multiplies of the card when I was a kid, but kids aren’t collectors.  Have no idea what happened to the cards I had but even if I had them they would be in horrible condition.

49 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

The most valuable cards I would have had would have been the Stars Wars first series cards.  The Luke Skywalker card (#1) in grade 10 condition has sold for over $50,000, but there are only a handful still in existence. I had multiplies of the card when I was a kid, but kids aren’t collectors.  Have no idea what happened to the cards I had but even if I had them they would be in horrible condition.

I have come to the conclusion that if I would have put all the things from my youth in a glass case I would be a wealthy man right now.

Like several of you have mentioned I have a ton of cards- mostly baseball, from 1984-1991. I do have a fair number of the Fleer 1984-85 basketball cards with the Jordan rookie. I would love to sell them for a fair amount but am not interested in putting the effort to sort and price them, so there they sit. 

This is a timely thread for me because I very recently started to go through all the cards I inherited to see what I have that's worth anything. Like many of you, I got into card collecting in the 1980s when it was huge. I have tons of relatively worthless cards from the junk wax era, but I was gifted quite a few vintage cards as well. None of it is remotely close to mint condition, but I have some interesting stuff.

cardback.jpg

Edited by nerdvana

In 1985 or 86 my neighbor offered to trade me a grocery bag full of Topps baseball cards from the early 1960s  for a Pete Rose manager card he needed at the time. The catch was 90% of the cards had the corners cut off. I took the trade and went home and emptied the bag on my bed. 90% were damaged but I found a good Roger Maris MVP, Joe Torre rookie, several Gil Hodges, Bill Mazeroski several more I can’t remember that we’re in good shape and I still own today.

On 2/23/2023 at 8:01 PM, RaceToTheTop said:

I remember my brother having some of these