Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

tkbbn

Who is IUs GOAT?

Who is the best player to have ever played at IU. For me I would probably go with Calbert as everything was so smooth and effortless for him. At the end of watching a game you always was surprised by his numbers.

9 minutes ago, tkbbn said:

Who is the best player to have ever played at IU. For me I would probably go with Calbert as everything was so smooth and effortless for him. At the end of watching a game you always was surprised by his numbers.

Great topic. It's so hard. I think top 3 have to be Scott May, Steve Alford, and Calbert in no order..Isiah maybe 4 but he only played 2 years. To be considered the GOAT at IU I think you had to have been on teams that made multiple deep runs in March and were at the top of the Big Ten. At the end of the season I'd like to make a top ten list. If Trayce can lead this team to a deep run in March I think he may crack the list. I certainly think he's the best player IU has had since Calbert. 

18 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

There is no one answer because it’s a  generational question.  Walt Bellamy is hard to overlook.  Big George but only played 1 year.

It is a generational question for sure, I'm old enough to have watched in the mid 70s but really to young at that time to comprehend the impact that some of those players really had on the game.  

It’s just not possible to pick one. Different eras, different rules, different body types / conditioning programs etc. 

But if we’re naming a few candidates I see no way I Thomas is not included. Took us to a NC as a soph, then left to become one of the greatest point guards ever in the NBA. Yeah, cant factor post-IU resume into it, but it’s just reflective of how much better he was than everyone. He was phenomenal as a soph, just unbelievable, and the only player for whom RMK ended up realizing he needed to just hand him the reins and let him run the floor.

So i was a really young kid (10) but got to see the 76 NC team, the 81 team, and the 87 team while at IU, and all in between, and have been following the team since graduating in 88. My list would include Calbert, and May. Walt was before my time. 

15 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

It’s just not possible to pick one. Different eras, different rules, different body types / conditioning programs etc. 

But if we’re naming a few candidates I see no way I Thomas is not included. Took us to a NC as a soph, then left to become one of the greatest point guards ever in the NBA. Yeah, cant factor post-IU resume into it, but it’s just reflective of how much better he was than everyone. He was phenomenal as a soph, just unbelievable, and the only player for whom RMK ended up realizing he needed to just hand him the reins and let him run the floor.

So i was a really young kid (10) but got to see the 76 NC team, the 81 team, and the 87 team while at IU, and all in between, and have been following the team since graduating in 88. My list would include Calbert, and May. Walt was before my time. 

Calbert, I. Thomas, Scott May, Alford, and A. Henderson with Q. Buckner, R. Whitman, TJD, J. Jeffries, and M. Woodson as Honorable Mention but so many more could make that list.  D. Bailey, T. Kitchel, Yogi Ferrell, DJ White, Eric Gordon, J. Thomas, Kent Benson, Bobby Wilkerson, Butch Carter etc……

33 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Calbert, I. Thomas, Scott May, Alford, and A. Henderson with Q. Buckner, R. Whitman, TJD, J. Jeffries, and M. Woodson as Honorable Mention but so many more could make that list.  D. Bailey, T. Kitchel, Yogi Ferrell, DJ White, Eric Gordon, J. Thomas, Kent Benson, Bobby Wilkerson, Butch Carter etc……

Glad to see DJ, yogi, and Eric Gordon get some recognition 

2 hours ago, tkbbn said:

Probably the best player by talent is probably George McGinnis but only played 1 year. 

My pick Isiah Thomas

2 hours ago, Demo said:

Obviously the criterion we’d use here is completely subjective and there are generational elements at play, but for me, there’s an actual correct answer. Because of how long ago it was it‘s easy to lose sight of what Scott May accomplished. The dude was 2-time big ten player of the year, a 2-time consensus all-American, the consensus national player of the year, the best player on the last undefeated national champion and a freak injury away from being back to back undefeated national champions, and won an Olympic gold medal. Forget IU, that might be the greatest career in the history of the Big Ten. As a player, wouldn’t put him on the same level as Isiah or Bellamy or McGinnis, but his accomplishments are unsurpassed. 

We think a lot alike on this one