Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Illinois - Saturday, 2/18/23 @ Noon on ESPN

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

I think he is a good coach but before I can trust him in March he has to make it to the second weekend one  of these years.    Has never been past the second round and the last 2 lost as the better seed.   Losing to Loyola as the 1 seed and last year as the 4 seed should of lost to Chattanooga in the first round but ended up getting stomped by the 5 seed Houston 

In fairness, judging a coach on the one and out format of the tourney, where it’s called March madness for a reason, isn’t a great measuring stick. Consistent conference results in a strong conf like the B1G gives a better picture overall. Yeah, at some point you need to show tourney wins, but there are just so many variables to the one game win or lose format, player health, travel, location, officials, gym / stadium - court, matchups.

4 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

In fairness, judging a coach on the one and out format of the tourney, where it’s called March madness for a reason, isn’t a great measuring stick. Consistent conference results in a strong conf like the B1G gives a better picture overall. Yeah, at some point you need to show tourney wins, but there are just so many variables to the one game win or lose format, player health, travel, location, officials, gym / stadium - court, matchups.

That’s why I said I think he is a good coach. Unfortunately March success matters in the coaching profession. It just does.  Doesn’t matter how successful regular seasons a coach has if he continues to lose as the better seed in the first 2 rounds he probably isn’t going to last long at a school that expects better.  

12 hours ago, Honkyman said:

Kopp has played well even when his shot hasn't been there. Today he got a key steal at the end just like he did against Northwestern. Even Bates played decent defense against Illinois but his shooting has been awful for several games. Galloway always does things that don't show up in the box score. But yes, the scoring needs to come from more than just TJD and JHS.

Kopp hit some shots against Ill but he gave up quite a bit to Mayer. He was bad against NW. Hopefully he won't have to defend attacking wings in the tourney.

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

I think he is a good coach but before I can trust him in March he has to make it to the second weekend one  of these years.    Has never been past the second round and the last 2 lost as the better seed.   Losing to Loyola as the 1 seed and last year as the 4 seed should of lost to Chattanooga in the first round but ended up getting stomped by the 5 seed Houston 

True 

2 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

That’s why I said I think he is a good coach. Unfortunately March success matters in the coaching profession. It just does.  Doesn’t matter how successful regular seasons a coach has if he continues to lose as the better seed in the first 2 rounds he probably isn’t going to last long at a school that expects better.  

Yep perfectly fair - but also why I said yeah at some point you need to show tourney wins

18 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

But we do have the best overall player in the conference and if our bench can start providing the depth that we need and one other player start adding additional scoring each game, we could go on a nice run!  Those are big if’s but it must start now!  Kopp finally scored in double figures today but Kopp, Galloway, Bates and Geronimo have been so inconsistent on the offensive end.  We need at least one of them to start scoring more consistently and it starts by quit being hesitant to shoot the darn ball.  Take the first open look and quit shot faking 

One of the main reasons of Kopp's offensive problems is team passing. He seems to rarely receive the ball in the shooting pocket. For a spot up shooter, that is a no-no. A split second of readjustment is the difference between getting a good shot off or not.

52 minutes ago, Redcamaro said:

One of the main reasons of Kopp's offensive problems is team passing. He seems to rarely receive the ball in the shooting pocket. For a spot up shooter, that is a no-no. A split second of readjustment is the difference between getting a good shot off or not.

Agree generally but this season the inside-out game has been miles better, TJD in particular has improved kicking the ball out when the double team comes, and as a result we’ve gone from one of if not the worst outside shooting team in the B1G to one of the better deep shooting teams. It started this season, early we weren’t shooting much or well from outside. Kopp’s numbers are much better for it — he can’t create his own shot, but he has been very good on kicks and ball swings — however the spacing hasn’t been as good the last several games and that impacts his productivity 

1 hour ago, Redcamaro said:

Maybe, he seems to pass up an open look quite often.  But he’s not the only one, Bates has started to do it more too and he isn’t a good shooter off the bounce. Galloway seems to do it some but he’s ok at getting in the lane and shooting a floater 

I know this probably doesn’t go here but it was reported just before the Illinois game that X is close to returning.  Has anyone heard when he exactly will return. I think if he returns on Tuesday then there is a chance he’ll get in ok game shape by the 1st round of the NCAA tournament but if it is any longer than that, then it probably won’t do much good to even bring him back, except to disrupt our team chemistry.  Thoughts?

3 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I know this probably doesn’t go here but it was reported just before the Illinois game that X is close to returning.  Has anyone heard when he exactly will return. I think if he returns on Tuesday then there is a chance he’ll get in ok game shape by the 1st round of the NCAA tournament but if it is any longer than that, then it probably won’t do much good to even bring him back, except to disrupt our team chemistry.  Thoughts?

Looks like the Iowa game and maybe at Purdue if they are pushing it

3 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

Saw a clip of Underwood’s post game talk with his players in the locker room . Maybe it was just for the cameras but I didn’t hate it.

Every time I see his name, I think Lacy Underall. Am I the only one?

9 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

but if it is any longer than that, then it probably won’t do much good to even bring him back, except to disrupt our team chemistry.  Thoughts?

I don't think anyone knows how much Xavier Johnson might help when he returns. I attended IU-Maryland at College Park. Xavier was out shooting in the early warmups and looked great. The truth is that JHS is playing the same role that Xavier played at the end of last season and arguably better. So maybe Xavier mostly comes off the bench (at least for a while) to give Jalen a breather so he does't have to go 40 minutes. Woodson doesn't need to start him right off the bat--and maybe he doesn't need to start him at all.

49 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

I don't think anyone knows how much Xavier Johnson might help when he returns. I attended IU-Maryland at College Park. Xavier was out shooting in the early warmups and looked great. The truth is that JHS is playing the same role that Xavier played at the end of last season and arguably better. So maybe Xavier mostly comes off the bench (at least for a while) to give Jalen a breather so he does't have to go 40 minutes. Woodson doesn't need to start him right off the bat--and maybe he doesn't need to start him at all.

You’re only considering one end of the floor in this analysis. If he’s fully healthy he immediately becomes our best perimeter defender.   

Offensively, I really don’t see what bringing him off the bench does other than ease him back in physically. They were already staggering minutes before the injury.