Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Illinois - Saturday, 2/18/23 @ Noon on ESPN

10 minutes ago, Joe_hoopsier said:

To you and str8baller.. He started falling, 6" before Kopp got close to him. MAJOR flop and his facial reaction afterwards confirmed it. he knew he just won an enema award. 

May be, but from the wrong angle refs aren’t going to see that.

2 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Suck farts Illini!

Watched the final 15 minutes at a bar in the land of Josh, Stu, FloridaHoosierGirl, and Nips (and probably other Florida men/snowbird geezers around here (not you HoosierGirl)) with my absolute turd of a wife, who many of you may know is an Illinois grad. A fine, fine day. Hope you guys enjoyed that as much as I did. 

Illinois grad? File the divorce papers

I am glad we are finding ways to win some of these down to the wire games. But at this point I have no idea how good our conference is. Seems like everyone is losing to someone on a regular basis. I am concerned about our guard play once we get into the tournament. If we had a fully healthy XJ, I think we would be formidable. Not so sure right now. There doesn't seem to be a consensus best team so maybe we have a shot. But, right now, I think we could be a final four team or a first round exit.

38 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I am glad we are finding ways to win some of these down to the wire games. But at this point I have no idea how good our conference is. Seems like everyone is losing to someone on a regular basis. I am concerned about our guard play once we get into the tournament. If we had a fully healthy XJ, I think we would be formidable. Not so sure right now. There doesn't seem to be a consensus best team so maybe we have a shot. But, right now, I think we could be a final four team or a first round exit.

I think there are 5-6 teams definitely better than us with Arizona and Kansas in that group. I put us in the next group of12-15 teams that could lose first round or make a FF.

4 hours ago, Josh said:

This game was awful, it was annoying, it was frustrating. But I think we've actually learned how to win.  Games like this and Michigan would have been losses under Whats His Name.  Now they're wins.  This team makes winning plays at the end and that makes me smile

Excellent strategy to foul on ~6 straight possessions late in the game. We did make just enough players and have Ill make a few boneheaded plays.

44 minutes ago, cthomas said:

The big 10 tournament and the big dance are going to be wild.  I would say there are a huge group of teams right now that could find their way to the final four and who could lose in the first round.  

Whew!  Happy to get the win.  The crowd and the students we have been great this year.  
Some of our guys just look exhausted with all the minutes they are playing like TJD, JHS, and Gallo.  We just seem a little slow to loose balls and on the defensive end. I wish we had more quality depth.

I was happy to see Banks get a couple minutes.  He needs more because I think he can help us.  He got beat on a post up and had a nice drive to the basket but didn’t finish.  He probably makes that play majority of the time.  The ball just seems to find him and he knows how to play.  I know CMW values upperclassman but he should be playing in front of Bates and definitely Geronimo in my opinion.

Miller freaking Kopp.  He takes a lot of crap on here but he has come up huge late in games on the defensive end.  If you don’t think so I really don’t know what your looking at.

The thing that gives me the most hope going into tournament time is JHS.  I think you have to have a lead guard.  He will take some bad shots and is a little careless with the ball sometimes but he is absolutely fearless.  No moment seems too big for him and he just doesn’t get sped up or panic.  We are going to be in a lot of close games come tournament time and he doesn’t feel pressure.  He wants the ball and he wants to be ‘the guy’.  If the game is on the line and we need a bucket I’m pretty confident with him putting up that shot.

37 minutes ago, hoosierdogg said:

Is it just me, or does Underwood remind you of a Chris Farley SNL charcater.  And the the headband wearing Illini geek a little like Shaggy from Scooby Doo...its a W, ugly but effective.

Underwood reminds me of a 1970s low level Chicago gangster. He’s a decent coach though 

4 hours ago, Josh said:

Tie game, our ball with a minute and a half left.  Your boy passed it to Coleman Hawkins.  Last game at the end he passed it to the top of the backboard.

Look, I don't hate the kid and he certainly has helped us win some games.  But he needs a lot of work.

He’s nails and best since Eric Gordon. You see the turnover today and I see the next play and most importantly, the W. 

3 hours ago, lillurk said:

I tend to think hoops should be fun to play and watch and Walton makes them fun. Totally get that he’s not everyone’s cup of tea but he’s sooooooooooooooooooo much better than the actually bad and boring analysts like Bardo

He provides analysis that no other announcer is capable of providing = best in biz

8 minutes ago, schoosier said:

He’s nails and best since Eric Gordon. You see the turnover today and I see the next play and most importantly, the W. 

Had the awful turnover then hit a jumper, two pressure FTs and broke the press with the long pass to Galloway.

1 hour ago, IU - Kaulie said:

Whew!  Happy to get the win.  The crowd and the students we have been great this year.  
Some of our guys just look exhausted with all the minutes they are playing like TJD, JHS, and Gallo.  We just seem a little slow to loose balls and on the defensive end. I wish we had more quality depth.

I was happy to see Banks get a couple minutes.  He needs more because I think he can help us.  He got beat on a post up and had a nice drive to the basket but didn’t finish.  He probably makes that play majority of the time.  The ball just seems to find him and he knows how to play.  I know CMW values upperclassman but he should be playing in front of Bates and definitely Geronimo in my opinion.

Miller freaking Kopp.  He takes a lot of crap on here but he has come up huge late in games on the defensive end.  If you don’t think so I really don’t know what your looking at.

The thing that gives me the most hope going into tournament time is JHS.  I think you have to have a lead guard.  He will take some bad shots and is a little careless with the ball sometimes but he is absolutely fearless.  No moment seems too big for him and he just doesn’t get sped up or panic.  We are going to be in a lot of close games come tournament time and he doesn’t feel pressure.  He wants the ball and he wants to be ‘the guy’.  If the game is on the line and we need a bucket I’m pretty confident with him putting up that shot.

Our bench is going to cost us a game either in the B10 tournament or NCAA tournament if they don’t get their head out of their rear and start stepping up!  

I think Banks is only going to play a few minutes a game, he needs to put on some more weight, at least 10-15 lbs.

JHS is a gamer and we wouldn’t have as many B10 wins without him. He’s gained a lot of experience with X out but I am hopping his experience will carry him well come tourney time and hopefully X’s return will help too.  Enjoy him now because if he is projected as a lottery pick, he’ll be gone.

4 hours ago, mamasa said:

Love it!! One of the first women’s games I attended under Coach Jack. I sat literally one row behind the bench, and the place was empty. Another time, the lady behind me crocheted the entire game, didn’t watch at all. Our women’s basketball forum used to be 5 or 6 of us, lol, now it’s thriving. Such an exciting time! Back to celebrating the downing of the dreaded Illini!

Same here.

There might have been a thousand people on a good night.I got into the women's game when my granddaughter played high school ball and would take her to the games.