Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Northwestern - Wednesday, 2/15/23 @ 9:00 ET on BTN

Had a really good angle of the paint last night 

1. seeing what goes on down there up close and personal is disgusting. It’s literally football

2. we gotta play better than we did in the first half

3. reds were ******* awful, not just the techs and the missed push off but they did a really good job of halting the run we got on in the second half by letting northwestern maul race and then calling him for a ticky tack foul on the other end

4 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I'll just agree to disagree on that call.  IMO, that was a textbook push off.  Did he push off?  Yes.  Did he gain an advantage?  Most definitely.  If that's not an offensive foul, I'm not sure what is.

It wasn't an offensive foul.  It was a great block on the goal line with 4th and 1.  Pat Fitzgerald must have been scouting him.  :) 

4 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Scirotto continuing to have a job as a referee is a red flag to the issues that exist.  Go past the fact that he was fired from his Ft. Lauderdale police position.  He previously had faced scrutiny for double dipping to ref basketball games -- having someone else cover his shift while he was a police officer so he could ref a game (22 such incidents were reported back in 2014 when he was in Pittsburgh and then it was discovered that he was doing the same thing in 2021 while he was a Florida police officer ).  If there is one thing the NCAA better be careful about it's even the hint of financial impropriety in terms of refs, and this is one who seems to have been double dipping.  I am 100% NOT saying he has ever done anything to 'fix' a game, but the fact that a blind eye has been turned to this by the Big Ten/NCAA deserves every single bit of scrutiny it gets.

Hang on.  When you say double dipping, it means he got compensated for two things at once -- his police shift and the game?  A lot of these guys have day jobs and it wouldn't be uncommon for them to have time off to ref a game.  

2 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I just wish that there was less of a distinction between how to play well in the Big Ten v how to play well in the NCAA tournament.  Shouldn't be an either/or.

UCLA and USC will be an interesting case study. It will be interesting to see if they alter their style to win in conference, or if they take their lumps during the season and outperform the other B1G teams in the tourney. 

I’d like to think that adding 2 new teams could help shift the overall style of play. However, one of the newest teams is a major contributor to the helmet and pads style that pervades the league. 

Edited by Jasonb

8 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Hang on.  When you say double dipping, it means he got compensated for two things at once -- his police shift and the game?  A lot of these guys have day jobs and it wouldn't be uncommon for them to have time off to ref a game.  

Allegation is that on the books he was "on the clock" as Assistant Chief on the days he was reffing.

I am sure that he would claim that as a salaried Assistant Chief, he was always "on the clock."

Of course, when he was on a vacation day I'm also reasonably sure he wouldn't have wanted to be bothered.

Allegation is that on the books he was "on the clock" as Assistant Chief on the days he was reffing.
I am sure that he would claim that as a salaried Assistant Chief, he was always "on the clock."
Of course, when he was on a vacation day I'm also reasonably sure he wouldn't have wanted to be bothered.
Which would pass if it were a once per week football official gig, but these masochists work 6 if not all 7 days a week for 4 months and criss cross the country in doing so. None of these nuts sleep in their own bed on consecutive days.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Who is this guy? I think he is the one that said something to get the tech on the bench. Re-watching it on You Tube and he gets the most animated.  Right after he makes fourth hard clap that's when the fing ****** throws out the T. 

image.png.5417696f28bdd766ca9c41ffe76bdf9d.png

2 minutes ago, Hoosier DaDa said:

Who is this guy? I think he is the one that said something to get the tech on the bench. Re-watching it on You Tube and he gets the most animated.  Right after he makes fourth hard clap that's when the fing ****** throws out the T. 

image.png.5417696f28bdd766ca9c41ffe76bdf9d.png

Armond Hill

https://twitter.com/NU_Sports/status/1

This might be the most disingenuous statement I have ever seen and is embarrassing that NW put it out. Never mind it came a day late and a dollar short which is part of it.

However, the fact that they claim to have one of the best and loudest crowds is a bald faced lie. To make that claim when half your crowd is opposing fans most nights is beyond dumb. Their student section is good, but otherwise it is much more like a tournament atmosphere where whichever team is doing well has the crowd behind them.

You can’t have a great home court advantage when much of the crowd is rooting for the other team. It might prepare you well for the NCAA Tournament to have the mixed fans, but certainly doesn’t give you an elite home court as evidence by NW playing better on road.

29 minutes ago, Aaron said:

https://twitter.com/NU_Sports/status/1

This might be the most disingenuous statement I have ever seen and is embarrassing that NW put it out. Never mind it came a day late and a dollar short which is part of it.

However, the fact that they claim to have one of the best and loudest crowds is a bald faced lie. To make that claim when half your crowd is opposing fans most nights is beyond dumb. Their student section is good, but otherwise it is much more like a tournament atmosphere where whichever team is doing well has the crowd behind them.

You can’t have a great home court advantage when much of the crowd is rooting for the other team. It might prepare you well for the NCAA Tournament to have the mixed fans, but certainly doesn’t give you an elite home court as evidence by NW playing better on road.

Who cares.  So their fans got a little over the top.  Miller should be happy they cared enough to notice he was gone.  Grow a pair and give me those Philly fans who threw snowballs at Santa Clause. :)  

40 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Fire Little Larry

https://chng.it/m2xtDWxywN

He may be "re-assigned" as a referee, but it will solely be because of his basketball performance, not because he was fired as an at-will police chief after a report he contested regarding diversity hiring applicability.

TV Teddy got the boot because 1) They wanted him gone and 2) They were able to cite on-court issues.

So Larry is getting the microscope? He should be walking on eggshells while refereeing IMO.

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

It does go beyond that.  Back in 2014, he worked 74 games….22 of those were flagged as “buddy days” — days where a different policeman worked a shift he was assigned to work.  While Scirotto claims the proper paper work and duties were fulfilled, there is no record of him covering shifts to make up those days.  Considering what he would be paid to ref is much greater than one shift would be, this lends itself to a pretty bad look, especially when those days are not to be used to allow a policeman to work another job.

https://archive.triblive.com/local/pittsburgh-allegheny/pittsburgh-mayor-peduto-focuses-on-use-of-police-buddy-days/

Edit:  the 22 day number I found in a separate article and could post if you would like.

8 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

I have a hard time believing that push off was just missed.  He lowered his shoulder before extending his arm and pushing Galloway a few feet backwards; that is one that should get called.

Yeah, the refs missed that push off like they miss Edey constantly slamming an elbow into his defender's chest, which is to say they consciously decided not to make those calls. There's no way anyone with fully functioning eyes missed that push off if they were watching Buie with the ball. It was obvious at any speed. 

The BIG is going do BIG things. Its obvious every year that the BIG has the agenda of getting as many teams at possible in the tournament and the refs are following that agenda, especially this late in the season. While it sucks, the important thing is that IU escaped without injury and will be playing in tournament soon. 

1 hour ago, Golfman25 said:

Who cares.  So their fans got a little over the top.  Miller should be happy they cared enough to notice he was gone.  Grow a pair and give me those Philly fans who threw snowballs at Santa Clause. :)  

Just a second….I haven’t heard Kopp say one word about the treatment and you’re  telling him to grow a pair?  Really?

29 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Just a second….I haven’t heard Kopp say one word about the treatment and you’re  telling him to grow a pair?  Really?

No, not Kopp.  The snowflakes who are "offended" by the student section chant.  Fans going to be fans.  Rowyder the better.  :)