Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Northwestern - Wednesday, 2/15/23 @ 9:00 ET on BTN

2 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I believe it was Ya reacting to the travel not getting called.  Not sure what he said, but doubt we'll ever know.

If that is the case, that's completely unacceptable and that ref needs to be disciplined.

As long as coach Rosemond didn't say something completely egregious AND directed right at the official, a technical foul is not warranted for reacting to a missed call.

So Wait, ... Larry Scirotto is a graduate from Northwestern University School of Police Staff and Command? Seriously? How is this even allowed? I know that this is only a 10 week course for law enforcement, but how is this not bias or show the potential for bias?

https://www.flpd.org/home/showpublisheddocument/6317

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I agree I think they are trying but my problem with it is, how is it going to change when you keep sending the same officials out there each game? They have to identify which officials like Scirotto keep giving them problems and eliminate them. I always thought Wymer was a good official so hopefully, he can turn this around. But the people who don't think the officiating is hurting the conference couldn't be more wrong. 

Can we just replace those officials with new ones instead of eliminating them? That seems like a bit much.

17 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

It would be nice if we could get something, anything, from Bates in a road game right now. These are his last 4 road games:

at UM: 17 minutes, 0 points

at Maryland: 25 minutes, 2 points

at Minnesota: 10 minutes, 0 points

at Illinois: 22 minutes, 0 points

Sadly, you can add:

at Northwestern:  17 minutes, 0 points

7 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Crazy stat lines in this one. We shot better % from the field and from 3, attempted and made more FTs, absolutely dominated them on the boards in the second half and lost the game. (we did continue our trend of turning it over and not forcing TOs on the road)

3-11, 8-33.   Looks like IU needs to shoot more 3s 

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

I agree I think they are trying but my problem with it is, how is it going to change when you keep sending the same officials out there each game? They have to identify which officials like Scirotto keep giving them problems and eliminate them. I always thought Wymer was a good official so hopefully, he can turn this around. But the people who don't think the officiating is hurting the conference couldn't be more wrong. 

Scirotto continuing to have a job as a referee is a red flag to the issues that exist.  Go past the fact that he was fired from his Ft. Lauderdale police position.  He previously had faced scrutiny for double dipping to ref basketball games -- having someone else cover his shift while he was a police officer so he could ref a game (22 such incidents were reported back in 2014 when he was in Pittsburgh and then it was discovered that he was doing the same thing in 2021 while he was a Florida police officer ).  If there is one thing the NCAA better be careful about it's even the hint of financial impropriety in terms of refs, and this is one who seems to have been double dipping.  I am 100% NOT saying he has ever done anything to 'fix' a game, but the fact that a blind eye has been turned to this by the Big Ten/NCAA deserves every single bit of scrutiny it gets.

3 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

We played as badly as we possibly could in the first half. 

We threw the ball all over the place. Yao Ming couldn't catch that lob JHS threw.

If you don't think officials can cause turnovers your crazy. 

I watched Alabama-Tennessee last night and it was so fun to see guys moving freely, letting players use their athletic ability to make plays and not just pushing and shoving the whole game.

Big Ten officiating is really bad. I know their working on it but you have to get rid of some guys before it will get better. We have to be the only conference that lets guys officiate games at the school they graduated from. High schools don't even let you do that unless it's an extreme case.

If you call the travel, there are no technicals to give. I've watched a ton of games this year and not sure I've seen another bench T given but we have had more than one. 

I have more, but I'm trying my best to be nice. My coffee wasn't enough and I didn't eat breakfast. I'm Hangry this morning. 

Coffee is having no effect this morning, even my UK fan former boss agrees that game was horribly officiated. Hell even the PUke fans are agreeing on Twitter! Come on B1G, you have long time hated rivals agreeing with each other, what's next? Is hell going to freeze over?

13 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Crazy stat lines in this one. We shot better % from the field and from 3, attempted and made more FTs, absolutely dominated them on the boards in the second half and lost the game. (we did continue our trend of turning it over and not forcing TOs on the road)

Northwestern going 14 of 14 from the line was huge.  Guess we need to work on that free throw defense.

19 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

But the people who don't think the officiating is hurting the conference couldn't be more wrong. 

The better recruits tend to not want to play tackle basketball, so yeah it absolutely does hurt the conference.

The same refs call games differently for other conferences so it's not a ref problem it's a conference problem.

3 minutes ago, reconmkd said:

Coffee is having no effect this morning, even my UK fan former boss agrees that game was horribly officiated. Hell even the PUke fans are agreeing on Twitter! Come on B1G, you have long time hated rivals agreeing with each other, what's next? Is hell going to freeze over?

If I'm agreeing with a pUKe fan then hell has probably already frozen.

9 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

3-11, 8-33.   Looks like IU needs to shoot more 3s 

Modern basketball when your AA post is getting doubled, revolutionary.

Looks like we attempted that but a few things happened:
- TJD dribbled it off his leg when the official brought the triple team
- TJD forgot Kopp wasn't 7'6" and tossed it over his head when the official blitz from the safety position
- When Kopp actually had the open look he either bricked it (it happens) or didn't take the shot (hence the low 3FGA)

6 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Scirotto continuing to have a job as a referee is a red flag to the issues that exist.  Go past the fact that he was fired from his Ft. Lauderdale police position.  He previously had faced scrutiny for double dipping to ref basketball games -- having someone else cover his shift while he was a police officer so he could ref a game (22 such incidents were reported back in 2014 when he was in Pittsburgh and then it was discovered that he was doing the same thing in 2021 while he was a Florida police officer ).  If there is one thing the NCAA better be careful about it's even the hint of financial impropriety in terms of refs, and this is one who seems to have been double dipping.  I am 100% NOT saying he has ever done anything to 'fix' a game, but the fact that a blind eye has been turned to this by the Big Ten/NCAA deserves every single bit of scrutiny it gets.

I know Scirotto is bad but we need to look at Brian Dorsey also. He has officiated 5 of our games and we have lost 4 of them I believe. I know we lost both NW, @Maryland, and @Rutgers. Our only win he has had is Michigan State. Dude doesn't call anything. The reason you see non-calls like at the end of the game is that officials don't get penalized for calls they don't make. Only wrong calls they do make. 

7 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Northwestern going 14 of 14 from the line was huge.  Guess we need to work on that free throw defense.

Unfortunate the officials were able to guard our FTA and not theirs, you win some and lose some with these officials