Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Michigan - Saturday, 2/11/23 @ 6:00 on ESPN

1 minute ago, Josh said:

There are times in every game where he thinks he's the only player on the floor.  He decides he's going to shoot the ball no matter what the defense shows him, no matter how open his teammates is, he's the only one on the team.  I call that selfish but maybe you call it something else.  I hate that part of his game

That hasn't happened, though. 

Maybe once at Minny?

1 minute ago, Josh said:

You and I watch the game very differently. 

I'm curious when you've seen JHS do that? Missing shots doesn't make someone selfish. I'm struggling to think of games where's he's taken a bunch of bad shots? Especially given that he's our 2nd leading scorer and only guy outside of TJD that can get his own shot. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm curious when you've seen JHS do that? Missing shots doesn't make someone selfish. I'm struggling to think of games where's he's taken a bunch of bad shots? Especially given that he's our 2nd leading scorer and only guy outside of TJD that can get his own shot. 

Clearly missing shots doesn't make somebody selfish.  I don't think I've ever insinuated that.

Deciding you're going to shoot no matter what the defense shows you does.

1 minute ago, Josh said:

Clearly missing shots doesn't make somebody selfish.  I don't think I've ever insinuated that.

Deciding you're going to shoot no matter what the defense shows you does.

Yeah, we must be watching different games as well. Haven't seen him do that very much, if at all. 

43 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Race the last two games(Purdue and Rutgers).. the knee was fine. 

There isn't really that much to rehash, Race is going to play the majority of the mins at the 4. And for good reason. 

Malik will hopefully get 12-18 mins. I'm not sure there is a spot/mins for JG, currently. 

You don’t understand not rehash? Lol man just enjoy the W, the dissing on JG is just silly 

Just now, HoosierHoopster said:

You don’t understand not rehash? Lol man just enjoy the W, the dissing on JG is just silly 

I'm not dissing him. I'm just being realistic. TJD isn't sitting 35-38mins.. Race is playing 22-28. Malik is going to get 12-18. 

13 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

My concern when X returns is the chemistry between he and JHS.  This has been Jalen's team and will that be a problem with them on the court?

Interested to see if it will be an issue and if there’s a continuation or an adjustment to the way they were running the O before X went down. Agree it’s been JHS’s team and the run we’re having with him at the lead has me a believer. But X is another guy who can create to score, missed that last night, and his D, here’s to hoping they re-gel without hiccups 

10 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Watched the game on the dvr—was out at the ballet! Yes, I’m a classy mothertrucker (and the Mrs said I had to go)

Takeaways:

Announcers: A+   Not just Hummel, that Kevin Brown guy on play by play sounds like Joe Buck and is fantastic.

Refs: A:  The game wasn’t about them and was fairly called. To me they were almost invisible which means they were excellent (though Bufkin traveled on that last possession).

Star of the night: Jalen. Trayce had the big numbers as always, but Jalen had the ball in his hands so much and was incredibly good. He also was incredible defensively.

Duds of the night: Bates and Malik. Especially Malik. JG was limited, Race was out, and Malik was needed. Instead he made the defensive mistakes of last month—all legit calls. Tamar is limited. He is what he is for now.

Major unsung hero: Miller freakin Kopp. They didn’t double Trayce so he didn’t get shots, but four rebounds, three assists and one turnover in 39 minutes. Most of all, great great defense on Jett Howard, who is slotted to be a 1st rounder. Howard was 5-14 from the floor and Miller smothered him on that last possession…without fouling. Great job again; excellent defense and maturity are becoming who he is.

Overall: AAAAAA++++++!!!!!!!!!

A win on the road down players and down for 39 minutes? That is some next level winning culture stuff. Completely impressive.

What was the ballet?

19 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm not dissing him. I'm just being realistic. TJD isn't sitting 35-38mins.. Race is playing 22-28. Malik is going to get 12-18. 

Man you’re just not, and I’m still not going to re-hash. JG starts over Malik, and last night played 21 to Malik’s 17, you then say he’ll play “spot” mins and just ignore the game along with what was obvious to everyone, Malik had a bad / off game. I’ve been critical of some of the coaching decisions, but what I am appreciating is Woodson is adjusting this season a lot more than last, for the most part, when guys are not playing well or a matchup favors another guy, he’s playing guys to that more than last season. All 3 bring game, different game, to the table, getting the most out of this team isn’t “spot” mins for JG, and Woodson sees that

4 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Man you’re just not, and I’m still not going to re-hash. JG starts over Malik, and last night played 21 to Malik’s 16, you then say he’ll play “spot” mins and just ignore the game along with what was obvious to everyone, Malik had a bad / off game. I’ve been critical of some of the coaching decisions, but what I am appreciating is Woodson is adjusting this season a lot more than last, for the most part, when guys are not playing well or a matchup favors another guy, he’s playing guys to that more than last season. All 3 bring game, different game, to the table, getting the most out of this team isn’t “spot” mins for JG, and Woodson sees that

K. 

This is math HH.. TJD is playing no less than 35 mins at the 5. Malik gets the 5 or less mins a game.. 

Race is playing 22-28 mins at the 4. Malik will get 5-10 of those remaining mins. So, there MIGHT be 5-12 remaining mins for JG, but.. if there is no foul trouble... 

Unless they completely back off of TJDs mins, I don't see where JG plays much. 

Didn’t expect to wake up and see this. Lol

Geronimo was big for us last night. Ignoring that isn’t fair, his effort and hustle and god given length gave us some huge plays we needed to win.

JHS sometimes plays selfishly. Lots of alpha type players have moments like this. I don’t know what to make of it. But his stretch early 2nd half was key to getting us in position to be in position to win the game. I think Woody’s offense is set up in a way the PG may look like this a lot. I think the fact he loves the midrange looks like a settle. Maybe not fair.

I know that was a huge win and a team win with 2 alphas trying to will it to happen. I’ll take that everyday.

Our offense isn’t pretty and the fact we can’t get Kopp a few more open looks really perplexes. But right now we only really have 2 guys confident on the offensive end and that’s a big part of it too.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Just now, btownqb said:

K. 

This is math HH.. TJD is playing no less than 35 mins at the 5. Malik gets the 5 or less mins a game.. 

Race is playing 22-28 mins at the 4. Malik will get 5-10 of those remaining mins. So, there MIGHT be 5-12 remaining mins for JG, but.. if there is no foul trouble... 

Unless they completely back off of TJDs mins, I don't see where JG plays much. 

Math is hard :)

We disagree, and Race’s health/conditioning matters, he has not been the same player. We’ll see how this all pans out, what I hope to see is the kind of attacking play we’ve seen continue. Now back to enjoying the W

1 minute ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Math is hard :)

We disagree, and Race’s health/conditioning matters, he has not been the same player. We’ll see how this all pans out, what I hope to see is the kind of attacking play we’ve seen continue. Now back to enjoying the W

Well.. he's going to play 22-28 mins. We've seen that. TJD 35mins+ We've seen that. Malik and JG get the rest. They need to be better than they were last night. 

But, to be fair to Jordan.. for sure just getting back in the swing of things. 

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Didn’t expect to wake up and see this. Lol

Geronimo was big for us last night. Ignoring that isn’t fair, his effort and hustle and god given length gave us some huge plays we needed to win.

JHS sometimes plays selfishly. Lots of alpha type players have moments like this. I don’t know what to make of it. But his stretch early 2nd half was key to getting us in position to be in position to win the game. I think Woody’s offense is set up in a way the PG may look like this a lot. I think the fact he loves the midrange looks like a settle. Maybe not fair.

I know that was a huge win and a team win with 2 alphas trying to will it to happen. I’ll take that everyday.

Our offense isn’t pretty and the fact we can’t get Kopp a few more open looks really perplexes. But right now we only really have 2 guys confident on the offensive end and that’s a big part of it too.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

We weren’t able to get open outside looks and the kind of inside-out O we’ve seen the past several games bc they played TJD straight up without doubling. Think that’s the first time TJD hasn’t been double-teamed in a long time. Looks like another step we need to take - being able to free up shooters when there’s no double team. Glad JHS was able to get it done, but yeah, unbalanced