Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs POTFB - Saturday, 2/4/23 @ 4:00 on ESPN

In my dream world we get Derik Queen to reclass to 2023, JHS comes back, and Connor Essegian transfers in from Wisconsin.
That would be a pretty solid unit with Reneau, Geronimo, and Galloway. 

Bidunga reclass. And 2-3 mystery transfers.

Galloway, Bates, Reneau are almost for sure starters. If JHS comes back he would start. If not we need a 1 and 5, and if Duncomb transfers a back up big too. Banks and/or Gunn getting good PT.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Just now, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Galloway, Bates, Reneau are almost for sure starters. If JHS comes back he would start. If not we need a 1 and 5, and if Duncomb transfers a back up big too. Banks and/or Gunn getting good PT.

Still praying we back up the brinks trucks

27 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I had a friend who spoke to CJ’s dad before the Illinois game and he got the impression CJ is not happy here either. I’m hoping he knows there is a lot of playing time up for grab’s next season plus more NIL money.

I wouldn’t like that. I never like to see anyone transfer, let alone Indiana kids. Doesn’t send a great message

I would really hate to lose Gunn. I think he can be a tremendous player going forward. I understand that every kid worth his salt believes he is better than the guy playing ahead of him. The shock of being the go to guy in high school to being down the depth chart in college has to be jarring. However, patience and commitment are usually rewarded but hard to learn. Regardless of all that, as much as I like CJ, he needs to be where he is happy.

I don't get the hype you guys are putting in jhs leaving for pro next season. He is a talent for sure and has a pretty good shot. Nba does draft off potential and he could go. Now picture NIL money and him improving that nice shot he has and really becoming a dynamic player and leader in the next couple years. Wouldn't being a lottery pick be more appealing than just jumping in unquestionably unprepared and no where near ready for a nba squad?

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

I don't get the hype you guys are putting in jhs leaving for pro next season. He is a talent for sure and has a pretty good shot. Nba does draft off potential and he could go. Now picture NIL money and him improving that nice shot he has and really becoming a dynamic player and leader in the next couple years. Wouldn't being a lottery pick be more appealing than just jumping in unquestionably unprepared and no where near ready for a nba squad?

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Think about from his perspective. Millions to play and develop in NBA. One injury and the dream could be gone 

6 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Forgot about Bates. He'd start for sure.

I'm not getting my hopes up on Bidunga no matter how many times he visits. He has seen some pretty darn good games at AH though, maybe he can't help but compare it to UC and see how much better off he'd be here. 

We'll need at least 1, likely 2 new bigs for next year assuming Duncomb leaves. Hopefully through the portal and high school. 

3 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Ha, right there with you. 

— Malik has stood out to me even more in the second half. He came in and immediately stopped the bleeding inside, 2 big stops in a row, then when PU had another mini run going he did it again and then got great position, read the back door play for TJD and executed a sweet lob to him rught past Edey.
He’s moving more fluidly now, avoided fouling, i think he’s getting the college speed and defensive reads down, going to be a beast next season.

So paused playback to type the above in second. A bit later When PU cut it to 4 on a three, JHS got it to Malik on the right side, and he went right at Edey and used his hook shot for another key score. Gamer

Best game he’s played, no question. With the exception of 1 possession where he was switched onto Loyer and just lost him,  and Purdue didn’t find it, he was completely disciplined. Loved him. 

Side note: Painter deserves NCOY if for other reason than creating defensive game plans that are rock solid while being able to hide Smith. God, they just exposed that kid. Yeah, not every team has 2 guards on the floor who like playing in the mid-range, but wow. Watching them run that exact same DHO over and over and  him never coming anywhere near handling it was almost painful to watch. Combine that with him getting wiped on every high ball screen and this team’s just a bad matchup for him. If by some chance Johnson is ready to contribute by the West Lafayette game so Woody can always have 2 guards on the floor who can attack him downhill, I’m not really sure what you do with him. He better make a bunch of 3’s in that game or he’s not helping you. 

During Woody's post game he included TJD when talking about guys who are putting it all out there in their last season (Miller, Race, I think X), of course it's all up to TJD. I think he's gone though...early 2nd with a promise from several teams. 

Watching the recap, two of the most satisfying plays were TJD embarrassing Kaufman. First bullied him for a dunk to make it 17-10 and then that savage block we all remember (timestamped here):

38 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

Would it be possible that TJD comes back? If he’s not drafted in the first round I think he’d make a ton more in NIL money. Presuming he has one covid year left.

Yes, he could. He has a 5th year of eligibility to use if he wants it. It's doubtful he'll use it though.

4 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

Yes, he could. He has a 5th year of eligibility to use if he wants it. It's doubtful he'll use it though.

Piggybacking, one of Woodson’s quotes postgame was that it’s Trayce, Race, X, and Kopp’s last go around. Or something to that effect. 

edit: quote added above

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I had a friend who spoke to CJ’s dad before the Illinois game and he got the impression CJ is not happy here either. I’m hoping he knows there is a lot of playing time up for grab’s next season plus more NIL money.

Just me, but that sounds more like dad then son, that’s a second hand read from a dad who wants to see his son playing. The little I still hear (not a lot) is he’s happy, and he sure looks it on the bench.

All these guys want to play of course, but the team looks very much bonded, they all respect Woodson, and the young guys know Race, X and TJD are graduating, and JHS is probably going pro.

50 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

Would it be possible that TJD comes back? If he’s not drafted in the first round I think he’d make a ton more in NIL money. Presuming he has one covid year left.

He gone!

kidding around aside, when you’re having a year like this (and a senior) you capitalize on it and don’t risk injury etc. He’ll be in the League.

10 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Piggybacking, one of Woodson’s quotes postgame was that it’s Trayce, Race, X, and Kopp’s last go around. Or something to that effect. 

edit: quote added above

Not sure why you're quoting me. I said it's doubtful he'll use it, which that tweet agrees with. So doubtful that Coach is already counting him as gone. That doesn't change the fact that he could return for a 5th year.

4 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

Not sure why you're quoting me. I said it's doubtful he'll use it, which that tweet agrees with. So doubtful that Coach is already counting him as gone. That doesn't change the fact that he could return for a 5th year.

I said piggybacking. Thought that made it pretty clear I was providing additional context to your point. 

1 minute ago, Hovadipo said:

I said piggybacking. Thought that made it pretty clear I was providing additional context to your point. 

Got it. I didn't understand what you meant by that.

If I am CJ Gunn, I am not happy with how I am playing. Just look at Banks, he was in the same boat as CJ or even worse pt wise. The last 3 games he has been needed with JG down and he has put in good minutes, starting to carve out a role for himself.

CJ has had his opportunities but a shooter that plays questionable defense being 2/25 from 3pt...well, son you are not playing until you can prove in mop up minutes that you are ready for league play.

I am not down on him, he is young and was never expected to contribute greatly this season, just saying if he is unhappy with his current situation, take a selfie and look at that guy for answers.