Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Maryland - Tuesday, 1/31/23 @ 9:00 on ESPN2

TJD is absolutely amazing! However, those steals taken from him drive me bat caca CRAZY!

It’s like a bully taking candy from an unsuspecting kid.

They come at crucial moments in the game.

Please be more aware and on guard to eliminate those easy unnecessary thefts.

Regardless…… GO HOOSIERS!
Beat the Boilers!

So FT's were 29-12 in this game. I saw on another board that someone looked at just our home games and we have been outshot on free throws 100-68. JUST AT HOME. 

So the game is being called differently for us on the road and at home. We attack the basket just as much if not more than other teams. Just crazy that on our home-court teams have shot 32 more free throws than us. I would complain about this after every game in my post-game conference with reporters. 

5 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

So FT's were 29-12 in this game. I saw on another board that someone looked at just our home games and we have been outshot on free throws 100-68. JUST AT HOME. 

So the game is being called differently for us on the road and at home. We attack the basket just as much if not more than other teams. Just crazy that on our home-court teams have shot 32 more free throws than us. I would complain about this after every game in my post-game conference with reporters. 

There could be an argument to be made, that we just foul a lot as a team...but I find it very hard to believe that we are actually committing fouls at that much higher of a clip to warrant the disparity there. 

Crazy...I'd love to see road games also...

3 minutes ago, monskisprodigy said:

There could be an argument to be made, that we just foul a lot as a team...but I find it very hard to believe that we are actually committing fouls at that much higher of a clip to warrant the disparity there. 

CMW talks constantly about being aggressive on defense. That our identity is defense first. Maybe being so up front about it has caused officials to anticipate that we will foul more often.

19 minutes ago, cthomas said:

CMW talks constantly about being aggressive on defense. That our identity is defense first. Maybe being so up front about it has caused officials to anticipate that we will foul more often.

Possibly. I do notice we get handsy at times, especially on the perimeter...but again, I don't think this explains the disparity. 

Seems like game after game I notice small bumps, minor contact being blown on us, in addition to several phantom calls, that are not called on the other end. The inconsistency of officiating this year has been laughable. 

27 minutes ago, monskisprodigy said:

It's actually much better on the road but we have been outshot on FT's 153 to 147. Luckily we've had some games like Kansas where they only shot 7 FT's and Penn St where they only shot 4 ft's since they hit 18 3's. 

6 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Neutral court it's 33-30 in IU's favor

We foul a lot. We have fouled a lot. We continue to foul a lot.

It might not be to the level to warrant the FT discrepancy but we foul a lot. We tend to go into stretches where we "attack" the lane before jumping away from the basket or going up soft.

I haven't found anyone who says we do not foul a lot. We foul way too much. But it's not being called the same on the teams we're playing. It's like the officials read in the scouting report that IU fouls a lot, then they go out looking for hand checks. But on the other end, they're letting our opponent put their hands on us. But I'm just really surprised at how we're getting whistled at home. We're not getting the home court calls. 

50 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I haven't found anyone who says we do not foul a lot. We foul way too much. But it's not being called the same on the teams we're playing. It's like the officials read in the scouting report that IU fouls a lot, then they go out looking for hand checks. But on the other end, they're letting our opponent put their hands on us. But I'm just really surprised at how we're getting whistled at home. We're not getting the home court calls. 

I think there is something to it.  TJD doesn't draw enough fouls.  He gets abused.  BUT, Our guards don't dribble drive much at all.  I think we'd draw more fouls if our guards were better at the dribble drive and employed it more often.   All the handchecking and bump stuff happens with the guards and we don't use our guards in a way to take advantage of that. 

7 hours ago, monskisprodigy said:

Especially at home 

7 hours ago, Chris007 said:

We foul way too much

I didn't see any phantom fouls in the game against Maryland. Maryland guards were quicker than our guards causing fouls. Race is a step slower since his return causing him to foul. And Malik Reneau fouls a lot every game. 

19 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

I didn't see any phantom fouls in the game against Maryland. Maryland guards were quicker than our guards causing fouls. Race is a step slower since his return causing him to foul. And Malik Reneau fouls a lot every game. 

No but I saw Maryland with their hands on us, I saw Maryland with contact in the lane and it was all just a play on.

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

No but I saw Maryland with their hands on us, I saw Maryland with contact in the lane and it was all just a play on.

I also saw one foul where their guy dunked it and ran back down the court.  Had to come back down to shoot a free throw because he was so shocked to get a call.

16 hours ago, hoopsta007 said:

I also saw one foul where their guy dunked it and ran back down the court.  Had to come back down to shoot a free throw because he was so shocked to get a call.

This is the phantom call that sticks out to me from the Maryland game. 

When the dude is all the way back on defense confused as to what's going on...dead give away ha-ha. I think it was over Trey, and no one touched him. 

And to be clear, I know and admit we foul wayyy to much, but I agree with Chris that other teams are committing the same "fouls", and not getting whistled for them. 

2 hours ago, monskisprodigy said:

This is the phantom call that sticks out to me from the Maryland game. 

When the dude is all the way back on defense confused as to what's going on...dead give away ha-ha. I think it was over Trey, and no one touched him. 

And to be clear, I know and admit we foul wayyy to much, but I agree with Chris that other teams are committing the same "fouls", and not getting whistled for them. 

I don't think other teams are committing the same fouls but they are fouling. I'd love to see the stats for our drives that end with a shot at the rim compared to our opponents. I have a feeling that gap would be pretty telling. We typically have a few dribbles into a pull up jumper or go with the floater. Our attempts around the rim are of the post up variety. Maybe TJD should be getting fouled more but he goes into spurts where he doesn't go at the rim, when he does he's been much better. Ditto for Race and Reneau.

Edit: I believe part of the issue is too much activity in the lane and our inability to space the floor. I didn't really watch JHS in high school or AAU but I would think he could get to and finish around the rim much better than what has been displayed. Gallo has that ability with angles when he catches his defender in the wrong position but I don't feel like we've seen that as much this season.

9 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

I don't think other teams are committing the same fouls but they are fouling. I'd love to see the stats for our drives that end with a shot at the rim compared to our opponents. I have a feeling that gap would be pretty telling. We typically have a few dribbles into a pull up jumper or go with the floater. Our attempts around the rim are of the post up variety. Maybe TJD should be getting fouled more but he goes into spurts where he doesn't go at the rim, when he does he's been much better. Ditto for Race and Reneau.

Edit: I believe part of the issue is too much activity in the lane and our inability to space the floor. I didn't really watch JHS in high school or AAU but I would think he could get to and finish around the rim much better than what has been displayed. Gallo has that ability with angles when he catches his defender in the wrong position but I don't feel like we've seen that as much this season.

Ask and you shall receive.

JHS:  shots inside 4 feet:  16/34 (47%).  Shots in the lane or at the rim:  28/61 (46%)

Galloway:  shots inside 4 feet:  20/26 (77%).  At the rim or in the lane:  27/42 (64%)

Team totals on fouls drawing -- first shooting fouls drawn per game and then total fouls drawn.  I think you'll see another reason X is missed.  Note that these are per game, so you have to take minutes/game into account

TJD:   2.9 shooting fouls drawn/game, 4.8 fouls drawn per game total

X:  1.1 shooting fouls drawn, 3.4 total

JHS:  0.8 shooting fouls drawn, 2.2 total

Race:  0.8 shooting fouls drawn, 1.7 total

Reneau:  0.6 shooting fouls drawn, 1.3 total

Galloway:  0.5 shooting fouls drawn, 1.4 total

Geronimo:  0.5  shooting fouls drawn, 0.9 total

Kopp:  0.0 shooting fouls drawn, 0.6 total

Bates:  0.0 shooting fouls drawn, 0.5 total

Another reason we miss X:  he still leads the team in charges drawn despite all the games he's missed -- and he has twice as many as anyone but Reneau.

Another look at fouls -- comparing fouls drawn by a player compared to fouls committed:

TJD:  committed 30, drawn  91

JHS:  committed 44, drawn 41

X:  committed 24, drawn 37

Race:  committed 30, drawn 31

Reneau:  committed 62, drawn 29

Galloway:  committed 37, drawn 27

Geronimo:  committed 38, drawn 17

Kopp:  committed 39, drawn 13

Bates: committed 43, drawn 11

2 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Ask and you shall receive.

JHS:  shots inside 4 feet:  16/34 (47%).  Shots in the lane or at the rim:  28/61 (46%)

Galloway:  shots inside 4 feet:  20/26 (77%).  At the rim or in the lane:  27/42 (64%)

Team totals on fouls drawing -- first shooting fouls drawn per game and then total fouls drawn.  I think you'll see another reason X is missed.  Note that these are per game, so you have to take minutes/game into account

TJD:   2.9 shooting fouls drawn/game, 4.8 fouls drawn per game total

X:  1.1 shooting fouls drawn, 3.4 total

JHS:  0.8 shooting fouls drawn, 2.2 total

Race:  0.8 shooting fouls drawn, 1.7 total

Reneau:  0.6 shooting fouls drawn, 1.3 total

Galloway:  0.5 shooting fouls drawn, 1.4 total

Geronimo:  0.5  shooting fouls drawn, 0.9 total

Kopp:  0.0 shooting fouls drawn, 0.6 total

Bates:  0.0 shooting fouls drawn, 0.5 total

Another reason we miss X:  he still leads the team in charges drawn despite all the games he's missed -- and he has twice as many as anyone but Reneau.

Thank you for the information! Where are you pulling this from? I'd like to see this broken down by games or types of games (noncon vs. conference). I feel there is some excellent data points here.

This shows what I was explaining above. We're getting 0.5 shooting fouls drawn/game out of 3 guards/wings (Galloway, Kopp, Bates) per game in ~76 minutes.

2 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Thank you for the information! Where are you pulling this from? I'd like to see this broken down by games or types of games (noncon vs. conference). I feel there is some excellent data points here.

This shows what I was explaining above. We're getting 0.5 shooting fouls drawn/game out of 3 guards/wings (Galloway, Kopp, Bates) per game in ~76 minutes.

cbbanalytics.com.

You can get a free account there that allows you to view one team's breakdown -- technically it allows you to change your team up to a certain of times (I think ten) before it blocks the free account.  I signed up last year with IU as the team to view, switched it over to Illinois when IU was about to play them, and then switched it back.  Still free for me after a year and it gives tons of IU information.

FWIW, there are some incredible stats when you do some digging at cbbanalytics.  For instance, want to argue that IU stinks on offense after a timeout?  They have actually been pretty good -- in the 82% percentile in shooting after a timeout, 29 of 62 from the field with 5 of the makes being threes.  How about shots taken on the first possession of a half (only 22 possible since you only get the opening possession in one half)?  IU's been poor -- 18% percentile -- making only 6 of 19 shots with no threes.  How about team shooting after the opponent makes a field goal?  Pretty good....IU is in the 88th percentile, 155 of 330 (47%) with 45 of those makes being three pointers.