Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Maryland - Tuesday, 1/31/23 @ 9:00 on ESPN2

2 hours ago, str8baller said:

Galloway wasn’t as bad as Bates but he wasn’t good. He tends to escape criticism here because his lows aren’t quite as low as guys like  Kopp and Bates. Outside of two nice spot up 3’s he brought very little. He was beaten on defense  quite a bit and a mess. His ball handling isn’t really good enough to be effective against the press or help create much offense.  

With X out and JHS a freshman, Bates and Galloway need to more consistently step up and neither can really do it. As you point out, the games they do play well (or JHS is playing well) we look pretty good.   

It’ll be interesting to see if we get X back, if he can get back to full speed, and if we lose any games with him trying to readjust. We have a small needle to try and thread if we want to do anything other than be a 9 seed and bounced on the first day of the tourney.

I think Galloway being in foul trouble was the main reason we lost. When Galloway was on the court we were a +1 so when he was on the court we were competing 

I wonder if this team leads the big ten in having fouls called against them. 
Yes, we do.
We also legitimately foul more than every other team. We're pretty dumb with leaving our feet, not maintaining verticality and getting handsy. Some have been bad calls as well but that happens to all teams.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, rcs29 said:

We also legitimately foul more than every other team. We're pretty dumb with leaving our feet, not maintaining verticality and getting handsy. Some have been bad calls as well but that happens to all teams.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

haven't watched every other team to know. 

JHS gets fouled about 3 or 4 times on the perimeter a game that aren't called. I hope the officials start there. He shouldn't get different treatment just because he's bigger and stronger than every other guard.

I think a lot about the physical B1G grind style. You can play physically if you're fundamentally sound and structured, but we're just not  this year for whatever reason. We're really physical/handsy, but not very good defensively. Rutgers is really physical/handsy and VERY good defensively.

It's really frustrating.

Can anyone actually believe we didn’t go to a press and search for 3’s with about 3 minutes left of so.  Especially a press or some type of pressure. It blows my mind.  It’s like we conceded the game because we played so poorly and we’re just ready to chalk it up to the refs.  Unreal to watch in real time. 

18 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Can anyone actually believe we didn’t go to a press and search for 3’s with about 3 minutes left of so.  Especially a press or some type of pressure. It blows my mind.  It’s like we conceded the game because we played so poorly and we’re just ready to chalk it up to the refs.  Unreal to watch in real time. 

Down ten points with three minutes to play and not pressuring or trapping?

I didn't focus on that because it seems so unconnected to any IU team all the way back through the Crean era.

But yeah, for sure.

32 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Down ten points with three minutes to play and not pressuring or trapping?

I didn't focus on that because it seems so unconnected to any IU team all the way back through the Crean era.

But yeah, for sure.

Yeah, my son, who plays HS ball currently, and I were watching together and we were flabbergasted by the coaching decisions (lack thereof) end of game.   The game wasn't over.  even with a little over a minute left, they still had a WAY OUTSIDE chance if the pressured well.  Strange.  Someone on the bench needs to be barking.  

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Yeah, my son, who plays HS ball currently, and I were watching together and we were flabbergasted by the coaching decisions (lack thereof) end of game.   The game wasn't over.  even with a little over a minute left, they still had a WAY OUTSIDE chance if the pressured well.  Strange.  Someone on the bench needs to be barking.  

Not my real-time reaction. 

Even though we were only down single digits for most of the game, for me it just seemed like a lost cause during most of the second half.

12 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Going through the motions. We were on a 5 gamer we didn't really need this one.

Add this to our list of WTFs:
- "press break"
- one turnover turning into 20 in a short amount of time
- waiting to call a timeout after a 20-5 run
- giving up straight line drives
- looking great against the zone one trip and forgetting how to beat a zone the next trip

TJD came out in the second half to two straight airballs (one broke the backboard) from 3'

10 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Not my real-time reaction. 

Even though we were only down single digits for most of the game, for me it just seemed like a lost cause during most of the second half.

Yeah, as a coach, granted at much lower levels, it was my thought at exactly that time period.  I suppose we were probably going to try to set up after a made basket and we just missed shot after shot after shot.  But our team energy and effort at that 3 minute mark needed to change defensively.  Traps, pressure, whatever we can do to force a TO.  At some point, the thought to run an action to get an open 3 would have been nice too.  

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

Going through the motions. We were on a 5 gamer we didn't really need this one.

Add this to our list of WTFs:
- "press break"
- one turnover turning into 20 in a short amount of time
- waiting to call a timeout after a 20-5 run
- giving up straight line drives
- looking great against the zone one trip and forgetting how to beat a zone the next trip

TJD came out in the second half to two straight airballs (one broke the backboard) from 3'

Yes, our reliance to not attack the press ever is astounding too.  These guys want to play faster.  Attacking the press is so easy for an experienced, athletic team.  Why didn't we ever try to make them pay?  They pressed for nearly 40 minutes.  

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Yes, our reliance to not attack the press ever is astounding too.  These guys want to play faster.  Attacking the press is so easy for an experienced, athletic team.  Why didn't we ever try to make them pay?  They pressed for nearly 40 minutes.  

When have we consistently attacked it this season? I can recall a handful of times we beat it and looked to attack. The rest of the time was get across half court and then setup the offense. The half court offense last night wasn't pretty either.

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Gallo and Reneau are regularly in foul trouble—it’s who they are.

to me that’s a film study thing so that they can identify what it is about what they’re doing that is necessitating whistles too often.

Been saying all year that Malik (who fouls by far the most) is learning, as a frosh, how to play / defend B1G level bigs without fouling. He is. I don't see his work as film study, it's timing/defensive work in games against quality bigs. He's been getting better and I am fully sure he'll get there, he is exceptionally skilled on the offensive end/footwork, the defensive timing will come. Gallo is still prone to getting out of control, with all the energy and defensive tenacity he brings, I want him on the floor regardless, he usually elevates the team's play, but yeah it's something he should continue to work on as well.

2 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Been saying all year that Malik (who fouls by far the most) is learning, as a frosh, how to play / defend B1G level bigs without fouling. He is. I don't see his work as film study, it's timing/defensive work in games against quality bigs. He's been getting better and I am fully sure he'll get there, he is exceptionally skilled on the offensive end/footwork, the defensive timing will come. Gallo is still prone to getting out of control, with all the energy and defensive tenacity he brings, I want him on the floor regardless, he usually elevates the team's play, but yeah it's something he should continue to work on as well.

Reneau is the guy I have the most reliance on to help us going forward.  He can be excellent.  Its so easy to see.  several of the other guys are so wishy washy its hard to have much faith in them or see the fruits of the labor.