Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Maryland - Tuesday, 1/31/23 @ 9:00 on ESPN2

Just now, RaceToTheTop said:

You do know that a huge recruiting tool is getting guys to the NBA, right?  And after a fourth year guy puts up a 25/21 performance, you shouldn't mention that?

I guess if our goal is to go .500 in the Big Ten every year with a weird mashup of 3-4 star recruits that wouldn't sniff the court for Kansas or Arizona, paired with a couple guys who might get drafted, then sure, fire away. 

I doubt Matt Painter is worried about getting guys to the next level. 

2 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Nothing like a one game losing streak after a five game winning streak to know who the board dicks are.

I think this team brings it out in people. I remember writing after the Rutgers game that I didn’t know if my expectation for the team changed much but that I had to revise way down what I thought our “floor” was.   

When we play bad, we play baaaadd. And we get there more than we should. We’re capable of playing at a very high level too.  It’s kind of crazy. 

15 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Maybe it was just a bad game, I don't know. But there were a ton of NBA scouts in attendance tonight. Before the season we heard all the buzz about how he was "a one and done kind of guy." I'm sure he was well aware of who was in the building tonight. 

Even though he is a freshman this wasn’t his first rodeo. There were representatives from 30 teams at the UNC at IU game and he played well.

Was he aware of the scouts being there tonight? If he is human the answer is OF COURSE.  It is the dream of every player on the floor to make the NBA.

If an IU student was an actor in a play, and was told that reps from Broadway were in attendance, it would certainly enter that students mind. It’s natural. If JHS was flinging shots from 30’, or forcing 1 on 3 shots, I’d be disappointed  in him but he had a bad game. He is a freshman and will move on to much better games but also have other bad games.

Definitely have learned my lesson about getting all emotional about one game 

thoughts 

1. could probably use some minutes changes and rotation tweaks in certain areas

2. good lord Jalen what the hell

3. poor play by the team tonight we’ve seen what we’re capable of and that’s not it

4. the officiating in this conference is pathetic, the flagrant on Tamar compared to what happened to Miller was a prime example

3 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I guess if our goal is to go .500 in the Big Ten every year with a weird mashup of 3-4 star recruits that wouldn't sniff the court for Kansas or Arizona, paired with a couple guys who might get drafted, then sure, fire away. 

That in between area IU continues to live in.

Are we a "player's program" where we try to gather enough players to out talent opposition or do we insert a culture based on toughness, grit, working hard, and outplaying our talent. We've seemed to be stuck in between those for a hot minute.

2 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

So your takeaway is that 'JHS is just focused on his draft status', an assistant coach praises a fourth year player for a monster streak but saying he can't fathom him not being a next level player, and that IU's goal is to 'go .500 in the Big Ten'?

Matt Painter's a great coach but if he's not happy when he has players reach the next level, you're wrong.  And if you don't think he brings up Jaden Ivey to recruiting targets, you're wrong.

3 minutes ago, str8baller said:

I think this team brings it out in people. I remember writing after the Rutgers game that I didn’t know if my expectation for the team changed much but that I had to revise way down what I thought our “floor” was.   

When we play bad, we play baaaadd. And we get there more than we should. We’re capable of playing at a very high level too.  It’s kind of crazy. 

Which makes me wonder how this exact team would play under a different coach/program/leadership. Losses happen but feel we've lost too many very winnable games and maybe won one we probably could have lost. I don't think we're on the plus side of that. If this team brought it (energy, effort, focus, etc.) every night I think we easily have 3 more wins.

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

That in between area IU continues to live in.

Are we a "player's program" where we try to gather enough players to out talent opposition or do we insert a culture based on toughness, grit, working hard, and outplaying our talent. We've seemed to be stuck in between those for a hot minute.

You have to find that middle ground. Izzo did it for twenty years, same with Bo. Villanova did it. Virginia does it. So do a bunch of other programs.  

We’re not tied in with Nike/Addidas enough to do the UK/Duke thing. And you can’t turn away 5 star talent and expect to win big. 

Having JHS and Reneau back as sophomores next year is a good start. 

5 minutes ago, str8baller said:

You have to find that middle ground. Izzo did it for twenty years, same with Bo. Villanova did it. Virginia does it. So do a bunch of other programs.  

We’re not tied in with Nike/Addidas enough to do the UK/Duke thing. And you can’t turn away 5 star talent and expect to win big. 

Having JHS and Reneau back as sophomores next year is a good start. 

Did they start with talent or did they start with a system? It seems as least for Virginia, Nova, and Wiscy they started  with a system. I would through MSU in there as it always seemed like a dog fight with them too. I don't get that vibe with these Hoosier teams.

Edit: outside of us either fouling the **** out of teams or straight up trying to fight some MFers

20 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Consistency  from the perimeter was an issue we had last season and we haven’t solved it this year.  X is out so game to game we have to cover his 30 minutes but really have no idea what we are going to get offensively from JHS (let’s try to remember he is a freshman), Bates or Galloway (we always know Trey is going to hustle but other parts of his game are inconsistent). Unfortunately, tonight JHS and Bates both had bad games and Trey wasn’t going to carry the load on the road.

Maryland helped out on Trace quite a bit and we didn’t burn them.
Every other BT coach should do the same.

I'd say it is very clear... Race didn't need to be placed much. Need Geronimo to get healthy. I think Banks has given some decent minutes as well and more play well get him more comfortable on the court. At some Woodson just had to put the best dudes on the floor and Thompson isn't it. 

8 hours ago, Five Prime said:

A road loss...shocker.  If Kopps minutes went to someone else this team would be better off.  

I think Kopp tries to play hard for the most part.  The thing that bugs me about him is he is supposed to a good 3 point shooter but doesn’t seem to shot them when he has a catch and shot opportunity.  He always has to shot fake and he rarely his them after the shot fake or he doesn’t take the shot.  There was several times last night he had a catch and shot opportunity but a guy flew at him and he done that stupid fake.  Usually a guy that is flying at him is about 3 or 4 inches shorter than him, take the first shot.  When he catches and shoots on a break he usually hits.  Quit shot faking and go up with the shot

23 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I'd say it is very clear... Race didn't need to be placed much. Need Geronimo to get healthy. I think Banks has given some decent minutes as well and more play well get him more comfortable on the court. At some Woodson just had to put the best dudes on the floor and Thompson isn't it. 

Race just needs to play spot minutes.  You can tell he has lost mobility and he doesn’t jump as well since his knee injury.  I think he’s a liability on D and his offense isn’t good either.  He doesn’t need to start and he should only play about 10 minutes a game.  I bet you would get more out of Duncomb 

8 hours ago, DChoosier said:

Bates or Galloway (we always know Trey is going to hustle but other parts of his game are inconsistent). Unfortunately, tonight JHS and Bates both had bad games and Trey wasn’t going to carry the load on the road.

Galloway wasn’t as bad as Bates but he wasn’t good. He tends to escape criticism here because his lows aren’t quite as low as guys like  Kopp and Bates. Outside of two nice spot up 3’s he brought very little. He was beaten on defense  quite a bit and a mess. His ball handling isn’t really good enough to be effective against the press or help create much offense.  

With X out and JHS a freshman, Bates and Galloway need to more consistently step up and neither can really do it. As you point out, the games they do play well (or JHS is playing well) we look pretty good.   

It’ll be interesting to see if we get X back, if he can get back to full speed, and if we lose any games with him trying to readjust. We have a small needle to try and thread if we want to do anything other than be a 9 seed and bounced on the first day of the tourney.

39 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I think Kopp tries to play hard for the most part.  The thing that bugs me about him is he is supposed to a good 3 point shooter but doesn’t seem to shot them when he has a catch and shot opportunity.  He always has to shot fake and he rarely his them after the shot fake or he doesn’t take the shot.  There was several times last night he had a catch and shot opportunity but a guy flew at him and he done that stupid fake.  Usually a guy that is flying at him is about 3 or 4 inches shorter than him, take the first shot.  When he catches and shoots on a break he usually hits.  Quit shot faking and go up with the shot

Kopp tends to give up more than he contributes. His value is to spread the floor and try not to get beat too much on defense. This has been the same the majority of the season. We do tend to go robotic at times in thinking the game through rather than playing with a natural flow.

27 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Galloway wasn’t as bad as Bates but he wasn’t good. He tends to escape criticism here because his lows aren’t quite as low as guys like  Kopp and Bates. Outside of two nice spot up 3’s he brought very little. He was beaten on defense  quite a bit and a mess. His ball handling isn’t really good enough to be effective against the press or help create much offense.  

With X out and JHS a freshman, Bates and Galloway need to more consistently step up and neither can really do it. As you point out, the games they do play well (or JHS is playing well) we look pretty good.   

It’ll be interesting to see if we get X back, if he can get back to full speed, and if we lose any games with him trying to readjust. We have a small needle to try and thread if we want to do anything other than be a 9 seed and bounced on the first day of the tourney.

What has changed in our press break from the Iowa game until now? We pass it between two guards in the backcourt hoping the defense gives a little each time for us to get it over in time. We've broken the press a few times throwing it to the middle of the court but it seemed almost accidental and we immediately stopped doing that. We tend not to put our players in the best position for success always.

Went to bed disappointed woke up the same way.

Isn’t there a song the sun will come out tomorrow? Haven’t seen it yet.

Beat the doo outta pee ewe Saturday.

Let’s GO HOOSIERS!!