Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

RaceToTheTop

How does the crow taste?

27 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

You picked one class.  HoosierAloha has a pretty good comparison for several of the teams.  Michigan State, Illinois, Ohio State, and Michigan are probably the only 3 teams in the league who consistently come close (or exceed in case of MSU) to our on paper recruiting.  Do we have Misses?  Yeah, so does everyone else.  Did COVID impact ratings?  Possibly, but that would impact everyone, not just Indiana.

The truth of the matter is that we land quite a bit of talent.  Geronimo, Leal, and Galloway would be considered a good to great class for all but a few teams in the league and you are downplaying them.  That's the point.

Michigan State

1569619866_Screenshot2023-02-02at8_44_49AM.thumb.png.da1f4450bb87d38352007ae250437bd6.png

Illinois

86949109_Screenshot2023-02-02at8_45_22AM.thumb.png.6976719fc4fe70ac6ba936f457230774.png

Ohio State

928935859_Screenshot2023-02-02at8_45_48AM.thumb.png.4f58620f7721db43cc1fb09dd130dc0f.png

Michigan

12546455_Screenshot2023-02-02at8_46_16AM.thumb.png.c7fa4de20b72b4176e82270195d04929.png

31 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

You picked one class.  HoosierAloha has a pretty good comparison for several of the teams.  Michigan State, Illinois, Ohio State, and Michigan are probably the only 3 teams in the league who consistently come close (or exceed in case of MSU) to our on paper recruiting.  Do we have Misses?  Yeah, so does everyone else.  Did COVID impact ratings?  Possibly, but that would impact everyone, not just Indiana.

The truth of the matter is that we land quite a bit of talent.  Geronimo, Leal, and Galloway would be considered a good to great class for all but a few teams in the league and you are downplaying them.  That's the point.

We have the four highest ranked players in the league. I believe we had the most minutes returning (in the 70s%) and most points returning (80s%) that lead to the hype of winning the Big 1.o. It seems like we're one of the few who missed on evaluations or can't expect younger players to contribute or the Big 1.o calls fouls only on us or any other number of excuses and copes.

We have talent. We have experienced talent. We don't seem to be able to convert.

14 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

We have the four highest ranked players in the league. I believe we had the most minutes returning (in the 70s%) and most points returning (80s%) that lead to the hype of winning the Big 1.o. It seems like we're one of the few who missed on evaluations or can't expect younger players to contribute or the Big 1.o calls fouls only on us or any other number of excuses and copes.

We have talent. We have experienced talent. We don't seem to be able to convert.

Losing Johnson does play into that a bit (returning minutes and points).  I just don't think we have figured out what we want our identity to be since Knight left.  We kind of dip our toe in two different pools and it isn't working.  

We want the flash of the talent factories but the ethics of the system schools.  Maybe NIL changes the calculus that goes into both of those but I think that has been our issue the past two decades.  We wanted to "showcase" our players and get in the NBA on one hand while not fully committing to doing the types of things you had to do to get those types of players to begin with.  And I feel we were afraid to put in place a system like Wisconsin or Purdue because those top flight players don't want to do that stuff and/or you need players on campus longer than 1 or 2 years for that to be effective.

We have to commit to being something.

I don’t understand peoples fascination with calling people out. That Penn State game was the worst game I’ve seen our players play in my 30+ years of fan hood.  They did not care at all and it showed on the court. People are justified to be concerned. Now things are looking better. Thank goodness, but I can understand why people were upset.   

9 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

I don’t understand peoples fascination with calling people out. That Penn State game was the worst game I’ve seen our players play in my 30+ years of fan hood.  They did not care at all and it showed on the court. People are justified to be concerned. Now things are looking better. Thank goodness, but I can understand why people were upset.   

It's the internet. "Being right" is currency.

31 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

Didn't you just call out the players?

4 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Didn't you just call out the players?

Yeah but on actual lack of defense and techniques. I’m not going personal. I don’t why you like to pick on me lately but there’s a difference between fixing specific aspects of their game and a person going na na na I’m right . 

1 minute ago, Banksyrules said:

Yeah but on actual lack of defense and techniques. I’m not going personal. I don’t why you like to pick on me lately but there’s a difference between fixing specific aspects of their game and a person going na na na I’m right . 

I swear I'm not intentionally trying to pick on your or anyone but I'll do a better job of being better in the coming days. 

6 hours ago, Banksyrules said:

My thing is it’s not just IU. It’s fairly common to see teams appear to “take a night off” for whatever reason. Seems like it happens every night.

25 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

My thing is it’s not just IU. It’s fairly common to see teams appear to “take a night off” for whatever reason. Seems like it happens every night.

As a baseball fan I get that. But there would always be some aspect here or there to show a player was doing this well or that. The Penn State game no one look like they cared and I believe a poster said Kopp told a coach to %^^ off…. That was alarm bell central for me. I;m just glad that changed.