Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

RaceToTheTop

How does the crow taste?

38 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

After the rant I went on five games ago, I have to say that crow tastes a lot like prime rib.

Bravo. Only a good player can point out his own errors.

We are all glad that you were wrong, but I think most understood your frustration! 

To crawl back from 2nd to last place in the B1G right after the injuries to being 4th in the standings now - I also retract any statements I made from the NW and PSU games…

Woodson has this team rolling. Damn proud of the resiliency these guys have shown to turn around like this. LFG!

I am pretty happy with this team overall . But what I don’t understand is after playing good defense last year and with a lot of returning players. How did we play poor defense during our 3 game losing streak. But if you think about it two of our best defenders are Johnson and Race. I still feel some of our younger players are still learning to play defense and have improved but have a ways To go.

2 minutes ago, Crazy about IU said:

I am pretty happy with this team overall . But what I don’t understand is after playing good defense last year and with a lot of returning players. How did we play poor defense during our 3 game losing streak. But if you think about it two of our best defenders are Johnson and Race. I still feel some of our younger players are still learning to play defense and have improved but have a ways To go.

The defense this year hasn't been as good as that from last year, even before those injuries. 

Still think it is way too early for this. At 6-4, I still feel this team has underachieved: there is no reason we shouldn’t be up there with PU competing for the bigten title.

I just don’t think PU has better players nor more experience so it’s frustrating to watch them run away with the title

15 hours ago, go iu bb said:

The defense this year hasn't been as good as that from last year, even before those injuries. 

It's still been good to very good, outside of the 3 game slide in early Jan, though. Maybe just not elite like last year. 

6 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Our defense was pretty bad outside of that when it mattered - Kansas and Arizona had their way with us

I mean, yeah... it's hard to guard top 10 teams, sometimes. The offense was much, much worse vs. KU than the defense was. 

To the bold, was it bad vs. XU, UNC? Did those games matter? 

AdjD is 43th, there really isn't a leg to stand on that the "defense is bad". 

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I mean, yeah... it's hard to guard top 10 teams, sometimes. The offense was much, much worse vs. KU than the defense was. 

To the bold, was it bad vs. XU, UNC? Did those games matter? 

AdjD is 43th, there really isn't a leg to stand on that the "defense is bad". 

We have held weaker opponents down but when it has come to the tougher opponents, we have struggled defensively and that is/was supposed to be the calling card of mike Woodson and this team.

I wouldn’t say holding XU to 79 was a good defensive effort, nor Kansas, nor Arizona. That is our selection of ranked teams and it’s been been pretty bad.

Yes, our defense has showed up against the middling to lower level teams so when it is adjusted it looks ok. 

1 hour ago, MikeRoberts said:

Still think it is way too early for this. At 6-4, I still feel this team has underachieved: there is no reason we shouldn’t be up there with PU competing for the bigten title.

I just don’t think PU has better players nor more experience so it’s frustrating to watch them run away with the title

Whether it's too early depends on your point of reference IMO. If you were someone saying you didn't buy into the top 15 preseason hype, then fine it's too early.

But if after our 1-4 start, you were saying the team is toast and Mike Woodson is a lost cause and dead man walking (me), then I think a little crow is already appropriate.

12 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

We have held weaker opponents down but when it has come to the tougher opponents, we have struggled defensively and that is/was supposed to be the calling card of mike Woodson and this team.

I wouldn’t say holding XU to 79 was a good defensive effort, nor Kansas, nor Arizona. That is our selection of ranked teams and it’s been been pretty bad.

Yes, our defense has showed up against the middling to lower level teams so when it is adjusted it looks ok. 

Nothing wrong with 79 when you score in the 80s.... what about UNC? They couldn't even get a good look... KU the defense was fine, AZ is loaded. Not worried about those two games--- 6 weeks ago? lol 

The defense has been absurd the last 5 games. We haven't struggled defensively (outside of those 3 games in Jan)... our D rating would be Top 30-35 if it weren't for that skid. 

That big bad Bama defense gave up 93 to unranked Oklahoma on Saturday, geeeesh. It happens. "our defense is pretty bad when it matters" no, no it's not. The top 50 rating pretty well proves that. 

2 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

How many starters has Purdue lost for more than one game? Purdue is leading the Big Ten because they have avoided injuries. 

Strictly my opinion, but I really feel that when Race went down, it took the rest of the team down mentally. Especially since it happened after XJ went down.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

On 1/28/2023 at 11:24 PM, RaceToTheTop said:

After the rant I went on five games ago, I have to say that crow tastes a lot like prime rib.

Kudos to you for saying this. There are a lot of people who came here and said Woodson should be fired and he doesn't know what he is doing. But after a 5 game-winning streak you don't hear many of them saying I was an idiot and I was wrong. There are learning curves when you are thrust into positions you are not used to playing. Let's hopefully keep it rolling