Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Loaded Chicken Sandwich

National Player of the Year

Here is my Top 20(and I'm sure I've left someone off accidentally). 

Who would you guys add and take off?

List is in alphabetical order. 

Armando Bacot(SR)- North Carolina 

Souly Boum(SR)- Xavier

Marcus Carr(SR)- Texas

Zach Edey(JR)- Purdue

Adam Flagler(SR)- Baylor

Keyontae George(FR)- Baylor

Bryce Hopkins(SO)- Providence 

Jaime Marquez(SR)- UCLA

Jamal Mashburn(JR)- New Mexico

Trayce Jackson-Davis(SR)- Indiana

Keyontae Johnson(SR)- Kansas State

Mike Mike's(JR)- TCU

Brandon Miller(FR)- Alabama

Markquis Nowell(SR)- Kansas State

Marcus Sasser(SR)- Houston

Drew Timme(SR)- Gonzaga

Oscar Tshiebwe(SR)- Kentucky 

Azuolas Tubelis(JR)- Arizona

Hunter Tyson(SR)- Clemson

Jalen Wilson(JR)- Kansas

2 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Here is my Top 20(and I'm sure I've left someone off accidentally). 

Who would you guys add and take off?

List is in alphabetical order. 

Armando Bacot(SR)- North Carolina 

Souly Boum(SR)- Xavier

Marcus Carr(SR)- Texas

Zach Edey(JR)- Purdue

Adam Flagler(SR)- Baylor

Keyontae George(FR)- Baylor

Bryce Hopkins(SO)- Providence 

Jaime Marquez(SR)- UCLA

Jamal Mashburn(JR)- New Mexico

Trayce Jackson-Davis(SR)- Indiana

Keyontae Johnson(SR)- Kansas State

Mike Mike's(JR)- TCU

Brandon Miller(FR)- Alabama

Markquis Nowell(SR)- Kansas State

Marcus Sasser(SR)- Houston

Drew Timme(SR)- Gonzaga

Oscar Tshiebwe(SR)- Kentucky 

Azuolas Tubelis(JR)- Arizona

Hunter Tyson(SR)- Clemson

Jalen Wilson(JR)- Kansas

seems like a good list.  

15 hours ago, IU_FanClub said:

Realistically  what does Trayce have to do to put himself in the legit conversation to win it

Here's the problem:

Zach Edey: 21.5 PPG, 13.2 RPG as a dominant force for #1-ranked Purdue. I think he's pretty much the clear frontrunner at the moment. As good as Trayce has been, Edey and Purdue have been consistently great all year long.

That being said, Trayce is on a torrid pace right now and the Hoosiers are on a roll. 19.4 PPG and 10.1 RPG along with 3.5 APG and 3.1 BPG puts him squarely in the conversation. What we need is for Trayce to keep up this pace and the Hoosiers have to keep winning AND Purdue will need to start losing and Edey start struggling a bit. As Hova said above, it would really help if Trayce gets the better of Edey when they play this year. If that happens and IU and Purdue are battling it out at the top of the league at the end of the season then I think Trayce has a chance. But I believe it's an uphill battle at the moment.

Kinda reminds me of the Big Ten Players of the Year in 2013 and 2016. As good as Victor and Yogi played those years, Trey Burke and Denzel Valentine were just a little bit better.

30 minutes ago, GnarlyTimGarl said:

Here's the problem:

Zach Edey: 21.5 PPG, 13.2 RPG as a dominant force for #1-ranked Purdue. I think he's pretty much the clear frontrunner at the moment. As good as Trayce has been, Edey and Purdue have been consistently great all year long.

That being said, Trayce is on a torrid pace right now and the Hoosiers are on a roll. 19.4 PPG and 10.1 RPG along with 3.5 APG and 3.1 BPG puts him squarely in the conversation. What we need is for Trayce to keep up this pace and the Hoosiers have to keep winning AND Purdue will need to start losing and Edey start struggling a bit. As Hova said above, it would really help if Trayce gets the better of Edey when they play this year. If that happens and IU and Purdue are battling it out at the top of the league at the end of the season then I think Trayce has a chance. But I believe it's an uphill battle at the moment.

Kinda reminds me of the Big Ten Players of the Year in 2013 and 2016. As good as Victor and Yogi played those years, Trey Burke and Denzel Valentine were just a little bit better.

TJD definitely gets helped with his block and definitely assists numbers. 

1 hour ago, GnarlyTimGarl said:

Here's the problem:

1) Edey will be helped by the perception he doesn’t have as much help. And even though I like the team Painter has put around him, he does have a cast of mostly low-profile “role players” around him.  

2) Oladipo was better than Burke but had Zeller on his team. Those guys were going to split credit for IU’s success and rightly so.  That’s not going to happen to TJD. 

It's pretty unlikely that TJD catches up to Edey, but it could happen if IU sweeps Purdue and finishes 2nd or tied with Purdue. Assuming TJD keeps up this level of play, I'm hoping Timme doesn't get the 1st AA nod over him. IMO, he's clearly outplayed Timme this year, especially considering the level of competition between BIG/WCC.

3 hours ago, GnarlyTimGarl said:

Here's the problem:

Zeller should have won it in 2013. He was always the best player on the team. The success trickled down from him. 

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Zeller should have won it in 2013. He was always the best player on the team. The success trickled down from him. 

And Victor was the Sporting News National POY, completely outplayed Trey Burke in beating UM on their floor to win the B1G, and clearly has had the better pro / NBA career. 

Edited by HoosierHoopster

13 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

And Victor was the Sporting News National POY, completely outplayed Trey Burke in beating UM on their floor to win the B1G, and clearly has had the better pro / NBA career. 

His pro career means nothing. The program would have continued to be bad without Zeller. 12-13 was no different than 11-12. Zeller was the leading scorer, rebounder and shot blocker. People forget how good even his defense was because of his athleticism and IQ. Zeller unfortunately just got torched by the media instead for whatever reason. Zeller should have B1G POY without any doubt. 

2 hours ago, vemmeistars said:

It's pretty unlikely that TJD catches up to Edey, but it could happen if IU sweeps Purdue and finishes 2nd or tied with Purdue. Assuming TJD keeps up this level of play, I'm hoping Timme doesn't get the 1st AA nod over him. IMO, he's clearly outplayed Timme this year, especially considering the level of competition between BIG/WCC.

Timme will be right in the thick of it for NPOY.  And 1st team AA.

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

His pro career means nothing. The program would have continued to be bad without Zeller. 12-13 was no different than 11-12. Zeller was the leading scorer, rebounder and shot blocker. People forget how good even his defense was because of his athleticism and IQ. Zeller unfortunately just got torched by the media instead for whatever reason. Zeller should have B1G POY without any doubt. 

Hmm. Cody was outstanding and the player around whom that team was built for sure, but Vic was absolutely key to that team, if you’re saying otherwise i’ll just laugh. His pro career reflects just how good he was, and he was absolutely the stronger player between him and Burke, he was all over Burke in what was effectively the B1G title game at UM.

13 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Hmm. Cody was outstanding and the player around whom that team was built for sure, but Vic was absolutely key to that team, if you’re saying otherwise i’ll just laugh. His pro career reflects just how good he was, and he was absolutely the stronger player between him and Burke, he was all over Burke in what was effectively the B1G title game at UM.

Considering basically the same team without Cody won 12 games... And the immediately won 27 and 29 with him.. yea I'd say Cody had way more to do with the teams success. Including him literally taking over and winning us a B1G Title at Michigan. 

Many pieces to that team though. Sheehey had a role and played it extremely well. CWat and Hulls were key to allow others to do what they did. Adding Zeller was important but without development from the returning players we don't get close to those wins or the Big 1.o title.

3 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Considering basically the same team without Cody won 12 games... And the immediately won 27 and 29 with him.. yea I'd say Cody had way more to do with the teams success. Including him literally taking over and winning us a B1G Title at Michigan. 

First, you’re arguing something i’m not even talking about. I merely chimed in to add comments about Vic, never said anything to detract from Cody.

Second though, impossible to just ignore Vic’s growth and the other contributions, their wins were as a team, of which, like I already said, Cody was the centerpiece — but, hello, Vic was absolutely key in the W over MU, that was beyond clear