Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Minnesota - Wednesday, 1/25/23 @ 9:00 ET on BTN

I went back and read some of the posts in the thread(I normally avoid in game posts until after the game.). I noticed a lot of back and forth about why Race played mire than MR or JG in the 2nd half. This may have been shared already, but this is what Ya said in the post game about it.

"No, he wasn't injured. I think it was a match-up deal. We put him in in the second half, and a couple of times he…they were playing small, so it was just a tough matchup for him. And actually, when he came off the floor I talked to him about it. I pulled him to the side and said, “Look big fella, there's nothing that you're doing wrong, but the matchups.” They just kept driving us and getting fouls and getting fouls, and we were getting in foul trouble, and we were giving them easy baskets, so we had to kind of downsize a little bit so we could play these guys on the perimeter and switch. I think that gave us the best chance to win. But it was nothing against him. It was nothing that he did he did wrong. He contributed in the first half and his contribution was great."

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

It'll be interesting to watch how JG plays over the next few games with Race "earning" his starting spot back.

Personally, I think the only reason he started was that was his last college game in his home state and in front of his family. JG will be back in the starting lineup on Saturday, if he is not, I will be surprised 

10 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Personally, I think the only reason he started was that was his last college game in his home state and in front of his family. JG will be back in the starting lineup on Saturday, if he is not, I will be surprised 

That would be concerning

3 hours ago, rcs29 said:

JG was very bad in his limited minutes. If someone other than Race were to play it would've been MR.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

He was bad in about 5 minutes. He's been excellent in multiple prior games now, and we've been winning with his contributions. You don't sit a guy the entire game for that, and I am fully confident Woodson wouldn't have. 

3 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Very much agree.

Trey Galloway's "floor" for his bad games is very high. He is a guy that ultimately, consistently finds a way to help his team win games.

Wholeheartedly agree. Gallo has bad games, everyone (including TJD) has bad games, but Gallo always hustles, and he almost always brings a defensive awareness and added playmaking. I'll take Gallo's bad, with the good, any day.

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

My bad for being snarky. Shouldn't have done that. It's just that IMO your stance on this is making assumptions that the coaches aren't working together, when clearly they were. 

I have no idea if other teams do this, but I don't think it's totally abnormal. 

This was NAIA game but I set behind the bench for an IWU game both women and men's game. Both had their assistants make the substitutions

6 hours ago, Josh said:

You watch more teams play basketball than I do, is this common practice?  To let assistants decide substitutions?

In my experience, yes. Often it’s the assistants that are offering subs or “reminding” the head coach, who then has final say. It’s one of those things  that varies by bench but it’s often a job delegated to assistants. With Woody’s NBA background, I’d almost guarantee that’s the case with him.   

I think it was a comfort thing with Ya, especially against the zone and in the road. He favored JHS and Galloway over Bates in a way that wasn’t all that cost either, but he obviously trusted those two.

3 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

It'll be interesting to watch how JG plays over the next few games with Race "earning" his starting spot back.

I don’t think he earned it back, I think they just gave it back to him because he a very experienced player and they were playing in Minnesota in front of friends and family.  I for one don’t agree with it because JG has been starting during this 3 game winning streak and they beat those 3 teams by double digits.  His confidence was high and something like this can wreck it and hurt the chemistry on the team.  

It was clear to me that Race’s mobility wasn’t there and he’s still not 100%.  Plus this team didn’t play well prior to his injury and they didn’t play well last night.  There wasn’t much energy and focus last night.  I can’t help to think it was because Race got inserted into the starting lineup, which may have disrupted the team dynamics and chemistry 

1 hour ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I don’t think he earned it back, I think they just gave it back to him because he a very experienced player and they were playing in Minnesota in front of friends and family.  I for one don’t agree with it because JG has been starting during this 3 game winning streak and they beat those 3 teams by double digits.  His confidence was high and something like this can wreck it and hurt the chemistry on the team.  

It was clear to me that Race’s mobility wasn’t there and he’s still not 100%.  Plus this team didn’t play well prior to his injury and they didn’t play well last night.  There wasn’t much energy and focus last night.  I can’t help to think it was because Race got inserted into the starting lineup, which may have disrupted the team dynamics and chemistry 

I don't necessarily agree it was because he was in front of friends and family.  Think it was more Ya's lack of confidence in himself coaching his first game with less expereinced players.  Probably felt that Race was the 'safer' option.

5 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Wholeheartedly agree. Gallo has bad games, everyone (including TJD) has bad games, but Gallo always hustles, and he almost always brings a defensive awareness and added playmaking. I'll take Gallo's bad, with the good, any day.

I also don't think Gallo lets bad play get into his own head.  He doesn't let a bad play effect the rest of the game.

Race was the better defensive option against Battle. That's it. That's all that mattered in this game. Period. And he proved that, over and over again. MR was the better offensive option, Race the better defensive option, JG was not an option. Let's move on from this please.

7 hours ago, rcs29 said:

Race was the better defensive option against Battle. That's it. That's all that mattered in this game. Period. And he proved that, over and over again. MR was the better offensive option, Race the better defensive option, JG was not an option. Let's move on from this please.

This

14 hours ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

He'll need to play considerably better than he has the last two games, to stay on the floor. 

Two good games JG has played lol 

There was no negligence in him not playing. He just wasn't needed. 

We've seen multiple times JG look absolutely atrocious against other teams zones.