Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Minnesota - Wednesday, 1/25/23 @ 9:00 ET on BTN

1 minute ago, Josh said:

Yes, with one guy in charge.  I'm sorry, this strategy is so crazy that we might just about lose a game against a depleted Minnesota team

What if I told you that sharing the coaching duties vs. Ya being judge jury and executioner was worth 5 points?

1 minute ago, Hovadipo said:

What if I told you that sharing the coaching duties vs. Ya being judge jury and executioner was worth 5 points?

That would be great!  What if I told you it almost caused us to lose to the worst team in the Big 10?

1 minute ago, Josh said:

6AFdKIgBXXu5q.gif

I can't pretend to know more about the situation than the coaches on our team. You apparently can. Have a good one man. 

PS-- your profile picture now is much better, and sane. 

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I can't pretend to know more about the situation than the coaches on our team. You apparently can. Have a good one man. 

PS-- your profile picture now is much better, and sane. 

Never question the coaches, always blame the kids.  Got it.

35 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I see very little that is misleading about that stat. Race and Kopp were the only ones that could check Battle at all. JG and MR didn't play much in the 2nd half because there was no one for them to guard on the other end. 

If we had taken TJD out... they could have guarded Thompson, sure. But, were you going to take TJD out? 

Did you watch the game? I don't mean that to be snarky at all, I'm just wondering how you  could have that take if you watched. As about everyone else recognized, reflected in this thread, Race was clogging the lane, while contributing basically nothing offensively, and JG and Malik? JG played like 5 minutes in the first half only, and Malik, after playing extremely well in the first, sat all second half, while we continued to fail to score and look terrible offensively, and Race continued to do nothing offensively. He was in TJD's way. Sure, he defended decently, but we almost lost largely because of those terrible substitution decisions. We lose that game, with those lineup decisions, against any other team in the B1G.

2 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Did you watch the game? I don't mean that to be snarky at all, I'm just wondering how you  could have that take if you watched. As about everyone else recognized, reflected in this thread, Race was clogging the lane, while contributing basically nothing offensively, and JG and Malik? JG played like 5 minutes in the first half only, and Malik, after playing extremely well in the first, sat all second half, while we continued to fail to score and look terrible offensively, and Race continued to do nothing offensively. He was in TJD's way. Sure, he defended decently, but we almost lost largely because of those terrible substitution decisions. We lose that game, with those lineup decisions, against any other team in the B1G.

I have watched the game three times. Read what you said, agreed with basically none of it, so I didn't quote you. 

17 minutes ago, Josh said:

That would be great!  What if I told you it almost caused us to lose to the worst team in the Big 10?

But we didn't lose. I'd rather it almost cause us to lose than find out what would have caused us to lose.

Who's on 1st?

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I have watched the game three times. Read what you said, agreed with basically none of it, so I didn't quote you. 

1-4  and 2-4 from the line for 4 points, 4 boards, in 24 minutes. 3 blocks were good defensively. He was just bad offensively.

Malik, 10 points  on 4-5 and 2-2 from the line with a board and a block in 12 min -- and 0 TO's and 1 foul.

JG, coming off the bench, got in only 5-6 min, 1 board, 1 assist, but 2 TOs and 2 fouls took him out. He's clearly shown over the past several games what he can bring.

I am ok with last night's win as long as it isn't a sign of things to come. That has to be the last egg they lay if they want to put some pressure on purdue and finish to 4 of the big. Last night reminded me of some previous games I don't want to remember. Better be focused Saturday night

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

@Josh you took a statement at face value and I think you really missed the overall context.

Perhaps so, that's why I wondered aloud if I was reading it wrong.  How do you interpret it differently?

1 hour ago, Josh said:

If his plan is (purely for example) to go big and pound the ball inside but his assistants decide they want a small lineup, wouldn't that complicate things?  If you have three coaches, you really don't have a gameplan

You're acting like the coaches are coaching in isolated booths with all communication removed once the ball gets tipped. 

I'm pretty sure the coaches are allowed to speak with each other, and I'm sure Hunter and Walsh were aware of the gameplan. 

There was even a moment shown on the TV where Ya was talking to the assistants (I know, imagine that?) about who they were putting in. Ya sent someone back to the bench. 

Ya also clearly made the decision to not put Reneau back in. He specifically mentioned in the post-game taking him out and telling him he's playing well but they're going smaller.

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You're acting like the coaches are coaching in isolated booths with all communication removed once the ball gets tipped. 

I'm pretty sure the coaches are allowed to speak with each other, and I'm sure Hunter and Walsh were aware of the gameplan. 

There was even a moment shown on the TV where Ya was talking to the assistants (I know, imagine that?) about who they were putting in. Ya sent someone back to the bench. 

Ya also clearly made the decision to not put Reneau back in. He specifically mentioned in the post-game taking him out and telling him he's playing well but they're going smaller.

Your response is pretty sparky but I'll allow it lol.

You watch more teams play basketball than I do, is this common practice?  To let assistants decide substitutions?