Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Minnesota - Wednesday, 1/25/23 @ 9:00 ET on BTN

2 minutes ago, mjeze106 said:

Yeah, JHS's shots just weren't falling. His normal midrange game should have eaten that zone alive last night.

Part of that was us passing around the perimeter and not attacking the zone. Having JHS in the middle might have been a good strategy against the 2-3

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Our guards brought nothing to the game last night Trey, JHS or Bates.

That’s as bad as I’ve seen from a collective backcourt in some time. We won’t survive a performance like that again. So I guess I’m just glad it came against a depleted Minny team. So much in life is timing, so I’m not going to complain when it favors us. 

IU gets the ball stolen waaaaay too much. They did a good job in limiting the overall number of turnovers to 10, but 8 of those were steals. There's no good turnovers but steals are worse than dead ball turnovers.

Conversely, IU's defense has done a poor job all year of causing turnovers. 

6 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

11 points, 9 assists, 11 rebounds, 3-19 from the floor and 1-7 from 3.  Combined.  Yeah, we need more than that from them.

The 4 guards had more negative plays than points. 12 TO and PF vs 11 points.

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I was yelling at the TV for Malik to get some minutes in the 2nd half like everyone else. JG someone. Sounds like we went with the veterans. 

Race D was good. 

Our guards brought nothing to the game last night Trey, JHS or Bates.

Woody is expected to coach Saturday night

user generated

Yeah that's at best misleading, Race was doing nothing offensively or on the glass in 24 min (to JG's 5 and Malik's 12), 1-4 for 4 points, 4 rebounds in 24 minutes, he looked like a guy coming back from injury, he clogged the lane with TJD, and having him instead of Malik and/or JG playing good minutes especially second half is a major part of why we almost lost. Lipstick on a pig doesn't change the pig. This kind of decision-making should never happen again from the IU bench, and I doubt it does.

2 hours ago, monskisprodigy said:

I was on Coach Ya (I think like the rest of the fan base), about not getting Malik back in. 

Saw this posted in a Hoosier Huddle Article. Appears sub patterns were not in Ya, and Woodson even encourage him pre game to run his own sets and plays out of timeouts.

"Rosemond wasn’t running the show completely alone. He said assistant coaches Kenya Hunter and Brian Walsh handled substitutions, so he could focus on the game’s flow, coaching the team on the floor, and executing the game plan."

What in the world?  I hope I'm reading this wrong.  Hunter and Walsh were in charge of the substitutions and Ya had to just react to whomever was put on the court for him??

24 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Yeah that's at best misleading, Race was doing nothing offensively or on the glass in 24 min (to JG's 5 and Malik's 12), 1-4 for 4 points, 4 rebounds in 24 minutes, he looked like a guy coming back from injury, he clogged the lane with TJD, and having him instead of Malik and/or JG playing good minutes especially second half is a major part of why we almost lost. Lipstick on a pig doesn't change the pig. This kind of decision-making should never happen again from the IU bench, and I doubt it does.

I see very little that is misleading about that stat. Race and Kopp were the only ones that could check Battle at all. JG and MR didn't play much in the 2nd half because there was no one for them to guard on the other end. 

If we had taken TJD out... they could have guarded Thompson, sure. But, were you going to take TJD out? 

4 minutes ago, Josh said:

What in the world?  I hope I'm reading this wrong.  Hunter and Walsh were in charge of the substitutions and Ya had to just react to whomever was put on the court for him??

There is little wrong with doing it this way. 

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

There is little wrong with doing it this way. 

Ya would be coaching, have a plan, then have to adjust it on the fly when he noticed that one player came off and one came on?  How can he create any flow or plan?

Just now, Josh said:

Ya would be coaching, have a plan, then have to adjust it on the fly when he noticed that one player came off and one came on?  How can he create any flow or plan?

It would be the opposite of what you said. 

He can create a flow/plan BECAUSE he doesn't have to worry about the subbing/rotations. Simplifies it. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He can create a flow/plan BECAUSE he doesn't have to worry about the subbing/rotations. Simplifies it. 

If his plan is (purely for example) to go big and pound the ball inside but his assistants decide they want a small lineup, wouldn't that complicate things?  If you have three coaches, you really don't have a gameplan

4 minutes ago, Josh said:

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I'd also add that there's some pre-planned strategy/communication with this. I highly doubt Ya was totally flying blind.

Just now, Josh said:

If his plan is (purely for example) to go big and pound the ball inside but his assistants decide they want a small lineup, wouldn't that complicate things?  If you have three coaches, you really don't have a gameplan

If you have three coaches you don't have a game plan? That makes no sense. We normally have 4 coaches. 

The coaches on the bench didn't decide the game plan. They put players into the game to execute the game plan. 

Just now, Hovadipo said:

I'd also add that there's some pre-planned strategy/communication with this. I highly doubt Ya was totally flying blind.

Thank you!!!! It's not at all difficult. 

Now... Minnesota did create some difficulties matchups wise/made it difficult to have MR+JG on the court in the 2nd half. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

If you have three coaches you don't have a game plan? That makes no sense. We normally have 4 coaches. 

Yes, with one guy in charge.  I'm sorry, this strategy is so crazy that we might just about lose a game against a depleted Minnesota team

Just now, Josh said:

Yes, with one guy in charge.  I'm sorry, this strategy is so crazy that we might just about lose a game against a depleted Minnesota team

There is nothing wrong with the strategy. The play on the court or lack there of... was the reason it was close, and little else.