Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Minnesota - Wednesday, 1/25/23 @ 9:00 ET on BTN

Defensively IU didn't play bad EXCEPT in securing loose balls.  Honestly, I didn't think Minnesota's three point looks were all that good.  Seemed to have a lot a step farther away than normal or guarded pretty well.  Offensively it wasn't good.....but if you aren't knocking down shots, zones will give you problems.

Have to say it's a game I certainly won't watch again, not just because of how ugly it was but also because I'm not a big fan of watching guys dribble near the half court line for the first fifteen seconds of the shot clock.  Really hated it when the NCAA got rid of the five second call.

1 minute ago, LamarCheeks said:

Something I just realized -- Kopp played all 40 minutes. Not sure I understand that, either. Not that he played poorly. But we've got enough on the bench that nobody should be playing the entire game (well, except for maybe TJD -- and really, he shouldn't be either). 

I’m thinking Ya just kind of “froze” on the big stage. Kopp played the whole game, Race played WAY too much etc. Just ridiculous especially when you consider that “fresh bodies” was one of our biggest advantages against a depleted team.

Really poor coaching/rotations. Ya found out there is a HUGE difference between the “big chair” and the support chairs.

9 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

As a tortured, long-time IU fan, which of the following plays didn't actually happen, but danced through your head in the final minute?

A) Treyton Thompson nailing that 3 with a minute left to put the Gophers up 60-56 and the Barn erupting

B ) Race Thompson missing both free throws

C) Cooper hitting a 3 to put the Gophers up 60-59

D) Galloway missing the front end, and Minnesota hitting a 3 to win the game

E) Minnesota scoring with a second left, and getting the ball back because we couldn't get the ball inbounds and had no timeouts

F) All of the above

F

4 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Does dropping turds on the floor not hurt in some ways re: tourney seeding? I thought some of that was calculated into the NET rankings which helps to sort teams?

I don’t dispute that turds were dropped but at seeding time I’ll take a road win, even against a crappy team, while also avoiding the dreaded “bad loss”.  
Hopefully the committee will remember that Duncomb wasn’t available.

2 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Let's hope Woody's OK by Saturday. But if not, maybe ... 

I don't know what the standard protocol is, but I would have to think he's not going to be coaching Saturday.  I know Northwestern had two games postponed.  Would think that IU would likely be cautious to avoid what Northwestern had when it spread between players and they were down to six scholarship players.

TJD is the still the whole story. Without him IU is a bad team. There appears to be other talent, but it's inconsistent, so undependable. Lots of flashes of potential, but only one guy to count on. I was hoping we were finally past that this year, but here we are. 

Although Trey didn’t have one of his better games….KUDOS for nailing both free throws at crunch time. I didn’t think he looked comfortable when he stepped up to the line but he drained them both. Who knows what might have happened if the first free throw rimmed out?

5 minutes ago, str8baller said:

What’s the cliffs notes version, if you don’t mind? 

Just that the goophers were playing small and he felt that there was bad match ups for MR.