Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Minnesota - Wednesday, 1/25/23 @ 9:00 ET on BTN

1 minute ago, coonhounds said:

I pray we didn't play race just because it was his hometown. But also may be most plausible reason lol

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

I think Race played more because we had an assistant who was inexperienced and wanted more experience on the floor.  I think if Woodson was there tonight he wouldn't have played as much.

He had a monster game with 25 points and 20 boards. Watching him go up in the first half, the turnovers, the free throws was all half assed. That's not good enough for this team.
We get into these funks and make dumb mistakes, don't get to loose balls, miss easy buckets, etc.

Agree with intelligence, effort, execution. But it getting pinned on TJD all the time isn’t fair.

TJD wants to win. Always Does his part. He’s a great teammate. Let the coaches light the fire for the others.

I’ve got my concerns. We joke about Purdue being a 1 man team. That’s what we’ve been mostly too. Other guys need to help him lighten the load.

JHS was the biggest culprit of bad shots, bad decisions. He simply needs to be better if we are going to reach our ceiling. Then we need a third guy, somewhere, anywhere like we got in the MSU game.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

When it’s tourney seeding time this is a W, and it won’t matter that we sucked, so thank goodness we won.

I appreciate Race but why, why, why play him so much in the second half right off of his knee injury??? Not to mention that near the end of the game he went deep in the paint several times, WHEN WE WANTED TO GET THE BALL TO TJD, and brought his defender with him. He clogged the middle while making it easy for his defender to help on TJD. Just dumb (mostly on the coach but Race should know better).

I'm sure there are more, but a few reasons why Race getting so many minutes made no sense ... 

1. It's just his second game back from injury. He's still not in game shape. 

2. When in, Reneau was playing better. 

3. Jordan had really hit his stride starting in Race's place. He only played six minutes tonight. I don't recall him doing anything particularly egregious. 

4. Race just was not very good tonight.

I think Race played more because we had an assistant who was inexperienced and wanted more experience on the floor.  I think if Woodson was there tonight he wouldn't have played as much.

Yep. Comfortable with the experience and decision making. I kinda get it. Reneau was great in first half. But he’s a freshman vulnerable to more of those mistakes. If he keeps putting up performances like he did in first half he’ll get a longer leash.

Glad we came out on top but, a couple of questions after this one. 1. Reneau and Geronimo lack of 2nd half mins. Especially when Reneau played so we'll in the first half. 2. Is JHS hitting that freshman wall? Two straight where he didn't play well. His shot selection was horrible tonight. Bates was horrible on the road again. It will be awful nice to be back home again this weekend.

8 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

I am trying to figure out what exactly was going on. Malik basically was the only reason we were in it at halftime as he had 10 points and played pretty solid. Leading scorer I believe? Why didn't he get much run second half

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

I was screaming all 2nd half where in the hell is Malik.  He played really well in the 1st half.  High/low with malik and TJD should have been a big part of the 2nd half offense.  yet he was no where to be found.  Just does not make sense.  I like Race and he has his moments, but Malik needs to play more 

As a tortured, long-time IU fan, which of the following plays didn't actually happen, but danced through your head in the final minute?

A) Treyton Thompson nailing that 3 with a minute left to put the Gophers up 60-56 and the Barn erupting

B ) Race Thompson missing both free throws

C) Cooper hitting a 3 to put the Gophers up 60-59

D) Galloway missing the front end, and Minnesota hitting a 3 to win the game

E) Minnesota scoring with a second left, and getting the ball back because we couldn't get the ball inbounds and had no timeouts

F) All of the above

Just now, DChoosier said:

When it’s tourney seeding time this is a W, and it won’t matter that we sucked, so thank goodness we won.

I appreciate Race but why, why, why play him so much in the second half right off of his knee injury??? Not to mention that near the end of the game he went deep in the paint several times, WHEN WE WANTED TO GET THE BALL TO TJD, and brought his defender with him. He clogged the middle while making it easy for his defender to help on TJD. Just dumb (mostly on the coach but Race should know better).

Said it above but really think /  hope this was a Ya decision and not a Woodson decision (the start and time). Nothing Race did in the last game justified this, and the second half call was just plain bad coaching. Ignore Malik completely? Flat out stupid. Ignore how much better JG plays with TJD while Race clogs the lane, barely scores or rebounds and is clearly still coming back from injury? Just idiotic.
Really bad coaching moves tonight- we escaped, luckily, we wouldn’t against a better team

Something I just realized -- Kopp played all 40 minutes. Not sure I understand that, either. Not that he played poorly. But we've got enough on the bench that nobody should be playing the entire game (well, except for maybe TJD -- and really, he shouldn't be either). 

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

As a tortured, long-time IU fan, which of the following plays didn't actually happen, but danced through your head in the final minute?

A) Treyton Thompson nailing that 3 with a minute left to put the Gophers up 60-56 and the Barn erupting

E) Minnesota scoring with a second left, and getting the ball back because we couldn't get the ball inbounds and had no timeouts

F) All of the above

I was pretty sure C was gonna happen 

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Agree with intelligence, effort, execution. But it getting pinned on TJD all the time isn’t fair.

TJD wants to win. Always Does his part. He’s a great teammate. Let the coaches light the fire for the others.

I’ve got my concerns. We joke about Purdue being a 1 man team. That’s what we’ve been mostly too. Other guys need to help him lighten the load.

JHS was the biggest culprit of bad shots, bad decisions. He simply needs to be better if we are going to reach our ceiling. Then we need a third guy, somewhere, anywhere like we got in the MSU game.

TJD has been tremendous and has been putting up numbers. He did that again tonight. We're not even close without him.

There were plenty of issues and blame to go around tonight. It looked like the preparation for this game was off in that we thought we had the game won before tip-off.

JHS struggled, Trey, Race, JG and others were right there with him.

To me there is a different between an all timer in stats and an all time great. TJD is absolutely an all timer in stats but still has a lot to prove winning. That's part on him and part on the situation while he was here.

We won but like you stated there are still concerns.

5 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I'm sure there are more, but a few reasons why Race getting so many minutes made no sense ... 

1. It's just his second game back from injury. He's still not in game shape. 

2. When in, Reneau was playing better. 

3. Jordan had really hit his stride starting in Race's place. He only played six minutes tonight. I don't recally him doing anything particularly egregious. 

4. Race just was not very good tonight.

Didn't we get some great quote about Race having to earn his way back into the starting lineup? Odd

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

F) All of the above

G) Rodents miss a shot and the ball caroms to a guy lying on the floor who flings up a 3 and wins it at the buzzer. 

7 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

Does dropping turds on the floor not hurt in some ways re: tourney seeding? I thought some of that was calculated into the NET rankings which helps to sort teams?