Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Minnesota - Wednesday, 1/25/23 @ 9:00 ET on BTN

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Today's media session -

Race Thompson - "When (my injury) first happened, I thought it was pretty much over with. The way it felt, the way it looked, I pretty much thought my career was a wrap."   Credited Tim Garl and Iowa training staff for quick, decisive treatment.  On Jordan Geronimo: "He's earned the right to play that much. I got to try and get some minutes back from him."

I may get accused of having a man crush on JG (lol) but the way the team has been playing the last 3 games with JG in that lineup I think it's pretty clear, at least at this point, that we've been a better team with that group, really on both ends. Wouldn't want to see that change unless JG falls off, the athleticism, attacking play and D he has added these past 3 games definitely reflect earning the right to play those minutes, but more importantly the team has been in sync and better. I like Race coming off the bench, the experience and stability he can bring to the second unit (or just off the bench) is just as important, imo -- if he reclaims the starting spot, I would hope that's because he plays showing we're better with him starting again.

24 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

I may get accused of having a man crush on JG (lol) but the way the team has been playing the last 3 games with JG in that lineup I think it's pretty clear, at least at this point, that we've been a better team with that group, really on both ends. Wouldn't want to see that change unless JG falls off, the athleticism, attacking play and D he has added these past 3 games definitely reflect earning the right to play those minutes, but more importantly the team has been in sync and better. I like Race coming off the bench, the experience and stability he can bring to the second unit (or just off the bench) is just as important, imo -- if he reclaims the starting spot, I would hope that's because he plays showing we're better with him starting again.

JGs "best" fits better with TJD than RT does, imo.... we don't get enough of "JGs best", though. JG wasn't very good Sunday. Better than he was vs. Iowa, and many games before that. But the lead MSU built was in large part due to his inability to guard Hauser. 

Malik slowed Hauser down. Now, he was excellent the two games before that. 13p 10r avg over two games, tremendous. 

I think leaving him in the starting lineup is fine... but if he is ineffective.... there will be more games with him only playing 13 mins or less, like this past Sunday. 

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

JGs "best" fits better with TJD than RT does, imo.... we don't get enough of "JGs best", though. JG wasn't very good Sunday. Better than he was vs. Iowa, and many games before that. But the lead MSU built was in large part due to his inability to guard Hauser. 

Malik slowed Hauser down. Now, he was excellent the two games before that. 13p 10r avg over two games, tremendous. 

I think leaving him in the starting lineup is fine... but if he is ineffective.... there will be more games with him only playing 13 mins or less, like this past Sunday. 

The fouling was a problem for sure -- the minutes were bc he fouled out. I thought he otherwise was playing fine. No question that Race is the better all-around player, better skilled, and experienced, but we lost games with Race not being very effective and really the starting group not firing on all cylinders like they are now -- my point, whether we call it JG's 'best' or not, is they're playing right now together as a group really well, JG is complimenting TJD on both ends well, we're dominating as a team with this group --  the athleticism JG brings is better than Race to the group -- and no reason to change it unless JG falls off.

3 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

The fouling was a problem for sure -- the minutes were bc he fouled out. I thought he otherwise was playing fine. No question that Race is the better all-around player, better skilled, and experienced, but we lost games with Race not being very effective and really the starting group not firing on all cylinders like they are now -- my point, whether we call it JG's 'best' or not, is they're playing right now together as a group really well, JG is complimenting TJD on both ends well, we're dominating as a team with this group --  the athleticism JG brings is better than Race to the group -- and no reason to change it unless JG falls off.

Jordan didn't pick up his 2nd and 3rd fouls until 3 mins into the second half. His mins were getting cut Sunday before he got in foul trouble. Malik was better than him on Sunday. 

Saturday night is another matchup that doesn't look too favorable for JG. I don't think Sensabaugh is a good match up at all for him. 

I wouldn't change it either... I mentioned I would start him, but as Woodson had on Sunday, I would also have a short leash. 

57 minutes ago, realTomCrean said:

Snow days as a kid and snow days as an adult bring the same joy. There's too much hustle and grind in daily life, very nice to have an unplanned day of nothing. Same thing tomorrow + IUBB? Yes, please. 

Living in Phoenix I don't miss snow but I do miss snow days. I did get a rain day a few years back which was new to me. We got sent home from work early due to a massive storm coming in which was expected to make it dangerous to drive since the roads here don't handle rain very well.

1 hour ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Wouldn't want to see that change unless JG falls off, the athleticism, attacking play and D he has added these past 3 games definitely reflect earning the right to play those minutes, but more importantly the team has been in sync and better. I like Race coming off the bench, the experience and stability he can bring to the second unit (or just off the bench) is just as important, imo -- if he reclaims the starting spot, I would hope that's because he plays showing we're better with him starting again.

Malik Reneau is arguably playing the best of all three at that position at this time. IU is in a good place to be able to play whomever matches up the best.

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Nothing better than being off because of snow, sitting around drinking all day, then watching the Hoosiers stomp on some gophers. I'm excited about this game. Sometimes you just need a snow day. 

You already know you are going to be off tomorrow?

4 minutes ago, bigrod said:

You already know you are going to be off tomorrow?

Yes I do. I told my boss I'm not coming into Bloomington tomorrow and going to work from home. My wife is a teacher and they have already been told tomorrow will be an E-learning day.

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

It also mentions Jamison Battle is having back problems the last few games, but playing through it. But, the Gophers are still a pretty tough since they have played Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan and Illinois (battled them for a majority of the game).

41 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Yes I do. I told my boss I'm not coming into Bloomington tomorrow and going to work from home. My wife is a teacher and they have already been told tomorrow will be an E-learning day.

That sounds nice. My job doesn't necessarily lend itself to working from home. I think I worked from home 2-3 times during the whole pandemic. Other than that, I was at work every day.

1 hour ago, Honkyman said:

Malik Reneau is arguably playing the best of all three at that position at this time. IU is in a good place to be able to play whomever matches up the best.

Malik is outstanding, but he is fouling way too much, that is limiting him. When he gets that under control he'll play more for sure.

Marcus Fuller columnist for the Minneapolis Star Tribune - Dawson Garcia's status for Wednesday's game vs. Indiana is uncertain after hurting his ankle at the end of the Michigan loss. Ben Johnson said on his radio show "thankfully there's no breaks," but he will wait to see what the recovery progress is today.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Jordan didn't pick up his 2nd and 3rd fouls until 3 mins into the second half. His mins were getting cut Sunday before he got in foul trouble. Malik was better than him on Sunday. 

Saturday night is another matchup that doesn't look too favorable for JG. I don't think Sensabaugh is a good match up at all for him. 

I wouldn't change it either... I mentioned I would start him, but as Woodson had on Sunday, I would also have a short leash. 

I get you're saying his mins were getting cut Sunday based on Woodson pulling him in that game, and matchups matter -- but that was just after he played 30 min against Ill, and was excellent. Woodson has had JG on a short leash, I think sometimes too short but that is what it is. Definitely interested to see how he handles upcoming matchups -- but while this convo is about JG, my focus is more on how the starting lineup plays as a group with him as opposed to with Race -- that is, yes, we're talking about JG but in the context of the lineup and how it has gelled and performs with more athleticism and energy. Malik was, and often is (though he's had some off games himself) really good, and usually love what he brings, but he has to get through learning not to foul.

16 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Absolute must win here. 3.5 games back from Purdue still. So I'd say in striking distance. Purdue has a big week at Michigan and against Michigan State... Maybe we get lucky and they lose both and we win both. 

Dang ... if that happened? When they came to Bloomington the following weekend we'd be within striking distance. That would be an extraordinary game to behold. Couple that with the injury that Edey is long overdue for.

Count me as; not expecting things to get interesting, but seeing a path whereby they could.

40 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

I get you're saying his mins were getting cut Sunday based on Woodson pulling him in that game, and matchups matter -- but that was just after he played 30 min against Ill, and was excellent. Woodson has had JG on a short leash, I think sometimes too short but that is what it is. Definitely interested to see how he handles upcoming matchups -- but while this convo is about JG, my focus is more on how the starting lineup plays as a group with him as opposed to with Race -- that is, yes, we're talking about JG but in the context of the lineup and how it has gelled and performs with more athleticism and energy. Malik was, and often is (though he's had some off games himself) really good, and usually love what he brings, but he has to get through learning not to foul.

Agree.