Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Michigan State - Sunday, 1/22/23 @ Noon on CBS

49 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

If Archie was still at IU my guess would be Smith would have  went to IU.   Miller and previous staff was recruiting him harder than any high major at the time.    It was still early but IU was showing him love 

I don't think they ever offered him, though. 

16 hours ago, str8baller said:

I find it odd we went from the best defensive team to a team that can put up points but struggles on defense. I think the D is mostly mental—poor communication on screens is huge. I don’t want to get too far over my skis here but there’s a scenario where we get back to that something close to that defense and keep our current offense. That could include XJ coming back too.   

I’m not saying it’s likely but there’s a path back to that top 10-15 team we anticipated. I’m not predicting it, but it’s at the back of my mind. (Disclaimer: I have had a few cocktails :)

To me, we should be trying to work ourselves back to a point where we are a 5 or 6 seed in the tournament.  I think it would be difficult to get much higher than that without going on an epic run.  Get to a 5 or 6 and get everyone back and you have a chance to get to the Sweet 16.  Get to the second weekend and anything can happen.

16 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

I don't think they ever offered him, though. 

No he got fired before he could but in some interviews with Smith talking about Miller and staff you could take away that they were close to offering and his interest was really high 

5 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

To me, we should be trying to work ourselves back to a point where we are a 5 or 6 seed in the tournament.  I think it would be difficult to get much higher than that without going on an epic run.  Get to a 5 or 6 and get everyone back and you have a chance to get to the Sweet 16.  Get to the second weekend and anything can happen.

I got IU as the last 6 seed as of today on my list.  With all the Q1 games left they could easily move up.  They are in a good spot just got to take care of home and not lose to Minny 

23 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

I got IU as the last 6 seed as of today on my list.  With all the Q1 games left they could easily move up.  They are in a good spot just got to take care of home and not lose to Minny 

In your opinion, what's the seed ceiling and floor for IU? Personally I think a 4 seed is ceiling unless they win the BTT and obviously the floor is lose out and miss tourney - but that won't happen so I will say the floor is last four in. Interested to hear your opinion and others

3 minutes ago, realTomCrean said:

In your opinion, what's the seed ceiling and floor for IU? Personally I think a 4 seed is ceiling unless they win the BTT and obviously the floor is lose out and miss tourney - but that won't happen so I will say the floor is last four in. Interested to hear your opinion and others

If your floor is losing out then the ceiling would have to be winning out which would be 1 or 2 seed material haha

4 minutes ago, realTomCrean said:

B1G offers so many opportunities for Q1 wins that if they got hot and finished 1st or 2nd in the league with a 15-5 or even 14-6 record that they would be near the 2 to 3 seed line.    Getting to the 1 line would be hard but the opportunity presents itself.   as you said if they go on another losing streak and enter the BTT with less then 9 conference wins then they put themselves at risk of not making the tourney.    

B1G offers so many opportunities for Q1 wins that if they got hot and finished 1st or 2nd in the league with a 15-5 or even 14-6 record that they would be near the 2 to 3 seed line.    Getting to the 1 line would be hard but the opportunity presents itself.   as you said if they go on another losing streak and enter the BTT with less then 9 conference wins then they put themselves at risk of not making the tourney.    
So basically IU needs to go .500 over remaining conf schedule to feel ok about their tourney chances?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

So basically IU needs to go .500 over remaining conf schedule to feel ok about their tourney chances?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Hard to know for sure depending on what others do around that area but I would be confident if IU was sitting at 9-11 in conference(don’t lose to Minny) with 0 Q3 or 4 losses and out of conference wins against NC and road win at Xavier.   That’s the floor to make it in my opinion.   That’s by no means a guarantee.  I thought they were good last year after they won their first conference tourney game and committee was clear putting them in the first 4 that they really needed that second win.    However IU didn’t have top 25 out of conference road win and their non conference sos was in the 200s last year compared to this year.    They would be in a much better spot this year if they were near the cut line again 

16 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Hard to know for sure depending on what others do around that area but I would be confident if IU was sitting at 9-11 in conference(don’t lose to Minny) with 0 Q3 or 4 losses and out of conference wins against NC and road win at Xavier.   That’s the floor to make it in my opinion.   That’s by no means a guarantee.  I thought they were good last year after they won their first conference tourney game and committee was clear putting them in the first 4 that they really needed that second win.    However IU didn’t have top 25 out of conference road win and their non conference sos was in the 200s last year compared to this year.    They would be in a much better spot this year if they were near the cut line again 

And under this “worst case scenario”, we would have to go 5-7 over the rest of our Big Ten schedule.

Hey, it’s possible but I’m not seeing it. And that’s with six home games and road games with Minny and NW remaining.

10 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

And under this “worst case scenario”, we would have to go 5-7 over the rest of our Big Ten schedule.

Hey, it’s possible but I’m not seeing it. And that’s with six home games and road games with Minny and NW remaining.

I have a partner who's a NW grad. I have the NW game circled :)

8 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

@ Minny 

Ohio St (Thank God this is at home) 

Michigan x2 (Not impressed, bad coach, hurt team)

@ NW (Revenge)

Illinois (Good luck Underwood and Dainja)

Iowa (Should've been a blow out the first time)

7-5 out of our remaining 12. Funny thing about my list is as I went back through there is no doubt that Coach Woodson is heads and shoulders above all of these coaches. Underwood, Juwan, Holtman are very good for IU basketball. NW/Minny just don't have the dawgs to compete. I'm not overly impressed w/ Iowa and Fran to me is the same as if Crean were still at IU. 

I am not in the camp that believes we beat Purdue, but the game has yet to have been played and I pay to watch these games so what do I know :)

Puts us at 20-11 pre BTT. Feel comfortable with that, anything else to me is bonus 

Hate to say that Minny is a big game but for seeding it is so important not to lose to the cellar dweller of the B1G. Would hate to get a 1st game match up in BTT w/ Penn state - really impressed w/ the coach, experience, and talent on that team. 

4 hours ago, realTomCrean said:

One thing to keep in mind is that, imo, the committee is as influenced by narratives as anyone else. And while I don’t totally buy this “narrative,” one thing that will swing hard in our favor if we finish strong is the idea that our Kansas thru PSU swoon was almost the sole result of injuries.  Outsiders will see both guys back (hopefully), us playing well (hopefully), and there will be an urge to seed us higher than our record might warrant.

1 hour ago, str8baller said:

I love this. I made a post about it not long after the game, about how we basically were more physical than them. A Tom Izzo MSU team complaining about how we made the game tougher and more physical to their detriment? That might be a first for IU in the Izzo era.  

To hear anyone from MSU complaining about physical play is beyond ludicrous. That from a program that used football pads in practice to emphasize physical play. It's fine to play that way but not fine to whine about it when it comes back at you.